Red9 coil over lowering kit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are people planning to do with the rear?
Are you going for the red9 spring plates or just turning a spline? Not sure if i can justify another £135 on top of the coil overs (making it close to £500 all in! :? )

-Red9 88mm Narrowed Balljoint beam ( Made as a one off for me, this is as narrow as you can go with coilovers)
-Red9 2" to 4" drop Ez Rider kit.
-Wagonwest 2.5" Dropped spindles

Since been altered slightly, i had to add an adaptor to lengthen the coilover as the van was to low at the front due to mixing the re9 with the dropped spindles.

So it can go super low,decent adjustable ride with straight ball joints 8)

01112008990.jpg

Got an email back today from red 9 (only sent it Thursday night)

Hi Simon,
Thanks for the enquiry!

Fitting is fairly straight forward, if you know one of a spanner from the other the instructions are pretty common sense. The Tie bars replace the torsion bars that are in the two big tubes of your beam.
The stock tyres would be fine. You will probably find that you can install the front kit and set it at its highest and it will look nice and level. Then when you get the rear lowered plates go for a set of 2” one and drop the front using the adjustment on the coilovers to level it up again. We can talk you through that when you get to that stage!

Hope that helps!

Cheers
Simon

Red 9 Design
Tel: 01709 540898
http://www.red9design.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very very tempted!

ant said:
-Red9 88mm Narrowed Balljoint beam ( Made as a one off for me, this is as narrow as you can go with coilovers)
-Red9 2" to 4" drop Ez Rider kit.
-Wagonwest 2.5" Dropped spindles

Since been altered slightly, i had to add an adaptor to lengthen the coilover as the van was to low at the front due to mixing the re9 with the dropped spindles.

So it can go super low,decent adjustable ride with straight ball joints 8)

01112008990.jpg
like that :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I asked a local garage for a quote on lowering the van using adjusters at the front and on the splines at the rear (just out of curiousity), bearing in mind a set of adjusters is £100 and the backs dont involve any parts and was quoted £450. :shock: :shock:
Red 9 looking better all the time, just need to convince both the wife and myself that it needs doing, and that mounting the weight on the lower shock bolt is safe.
Might wait until i can actually see one under load and fitted to a bay but cheers for the pic's Ant :D

froggy said:
I asked a local garage for a quote on lowering the van using adjusters at the front and on the splines at the rear (just out of curiousity), bearing in mind a set of adjusters is £100 and the backs dont involve any parts and was quoted £450. :shock: :shock:
Red 9 looking better all the time, just need to convince both the wife and myself that it needs doing, and that mounting the weight on the lower shock bolt is safe.
Might wait until i can actually see one under load and fitted to a bay but cheers for the pic's Ant :D

The safety of the Red9 system has been debated over and over on here and on VZi, but they've now sold over 1000 kits with no failures. It took me a long time to make up my mind too but like you, only heard good things, so I'm fitting one to mine together with a new beam (http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7570&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15) and the camper is going to be used by me, wife and 2 kids. The ride quality (from what I've heard) is more like a modern car and much, much better than you'd get with adjusters. Lowering by one spline will give you a different quality of ride at the rear (too much bounce) so 2" lowered spring plates are a good idea too.

Looks likle you've had enough convincing now, so go and do it :wink:

go for it matey you know it makes sense! red 9 now also do lowered bump stops for their easy rider kits for the extra peace of mind. thinking of getting some for mine. when i was talking to the guys they said the only time they have one fail is when someone has fitted the kit badly. the other option for a low bus with a good ride is drop spindles, but they are welded, so theirs risk there.with the red 9 youve got complete adjustablity for an affordable price. if your at dub freeze your more than welcome to have a gander under mine.

The more I read the better the Red9 kit sounds, but just so I get this straight what's the general concensus of opinion for a smooth safe ride:

Dropped/welded spindles

or

Red9 coilover kit

Cheers for your thoughts.

Dave

I find this thread very interesting, as here in France it is illegal to modify anything on your vehicle, that's why I've always been reluctant to fit welded adjusters on my hard-to-find 68 front beam because they are so obvious.

A Red9 kit would do the trick but in a hidden way :mrgreen:

My question : do the front bump stops need cutting with the 2-to-4-drop EZ kit ?

Thanks

paddy56 said:
I find this thread very interesting, as here in France it is illegal to modify anything on your vehicle, that's why I've always been reluctant to fit welded adjusters on my hard-to-find 68 front beam because they are so obvious.

A Red9 kit would do the trick but in a hidden way :mrgreen:

My question : do the front bump stops need cutting with the 2-to-4-drop EZ kit ?

Thanks

i have the 2-4 kit , and my bump stops have been removed, but am planning on fitting some of red9 s lowered bump stops.

loweredlight said:
The more I read the better the Red9 kit sounds, but just so I get this straight what's the general concensus of opinion for a smooth safe ride:

Dropped/welded spindles

or

Red9 coilover kit

Cheers for your thoughts.

Dave

New T2D 3.5" dropped spindles look very promising -

http://www.type2detectives.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I enquired with T2D about their new 3.5" dropped spindles and they're £450 a pair plus they said you need heavy duty ball joints due to the design, drop etc.. at £50 each so that works out at £650 for the complete set up. Spindles are on an exchange basis.

Dave

So how are there spindles manufactured? there not welded, so cast? so why do they want the old spindles at that price?

Araon said:
So how are there spindles manufactured? there not welded, so cast? so why do they want the old spindles at that price?

I presume they re-use the spindle shaft...

Latest posts