Remove gearbox without removing engine ??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnut

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the gearbox out of an early bay without having to remove the engine ?

There is an easy way to remove the gearbox without touching anything else.
You will need the following items.
1. 5mm copper insulated wire about 20ft.
2. Semtex fuses
3. Semtex
4. Detonator.
5. Concrete bunker to retire to whilst operating item 4.
6. Optional sticky bomb grease (like Tom Hanks made on the bridge in the last bit of Saving Private Ryan)

Instructions
1. Place 10mm thick 50cm long strips of Semtex all around the engine case just behind the junction between engine and gearbox.
2. Insert 1 no Semtex fuse and attach 10ft of wire to it.
3, place similar strips of Semtex around drive shafts universal joints on both sides, if Semtex wont stick to the rubber boot, use the optional dollops of sticky bomb grease like Tom Hanks did. (see item 6 above)
4. Link a wire into the fuse and shove that in the Semtex on the drive shafts and link this to the wire going to your detonator.
5. Place Semtex all round the pointy end of the gearbox on any bits of gearbox ancillaries you cant be arsed to remove manually, similarly to steps above, insert fuses and wire and link to wire going to detonator.
6. Take detonator and attach wire to the live contact and take a new wire and wire that to the earth on the detonator and take it to the vehicle earth. Make sure you have a good connection on the vehicle earth to avoid unwanted sparks.
7. Place gearbox cradle on floor under vehicle to aid in the removal of gearbox from under vehicle.
8. Retire at least 10ft to the concrete bunker with detonator plunger in the up position.
9. Push down on the plunger and wait for the gentle pop.
10. Drag cradle out from under vehicle with gearbox resting on it.

why would you not wanna remove engine its a 10 minute job :) especially in a bay where you can drop engine down after undoing bottom bolts to undo fuel line and top two bolts

:?

Ill bite and suggest that yes, you can. I did take a gearbox out once leaving the engine in. I cant remember why, and I certainly wished I hadnt and wouldnt do so again, but yes, it is possible.

Ta for the replys people, was pretty sure it was pointless but the know all brother in law was positive he could do it.
As usual it all ended up tits up and the engine had to come out.
Gearbox swap 7 hours....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :hang:

Latest posts