Removed my engine and...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatbuilder

Reaction score
...and I have a million questions.
I'll start with this one...

Question 1:
Is it possible to take the engine out completely without removing the weber 34icts first? The flippin thing is too wide to fit out the back of the bus. It hits off the bracket that the rear valance bolts to. (its a 68 bus)

Question 2:
my webers are leaking like sieves, looks like the fuel is dripping out of the throttle shaft? Whats up with that??? Its dripping down onto my heat exchangers and giving me a mad petrol smell in the cab. Will a carb rebuilt kit fix it?

Question 3:
when I pulled the engine out, I saw that there was one of the clutch bearing clips broken, it had fallen off and was lying in the bottom of the housing. Is my clutch wrecked or do I just get a new clip for 35p?

Question 4:
I have a problem with oil spitting out the breather tube at the oil filler neck. How do I stop this happening, cos its also dripping onto the heat exchangers and giving me a very potent oil/petrol smell in the cab.

Please help me cos I need to get the bus back on the road asap!!

1, i think you will have to take the carbs off. Is shouldnt take to long to undo the nuts.

2, Get a carb rebuild kit for piece of mind. Carbs are not difficult to build if you take it slowly. At a guess i think your floatchambers may be overflowing. Carb kits contain new needle valves so that should cure the problem.

Ill step back now and let the more knowlegable have a go.

Thanks for the reply.

I've whipped off the carbs and realised that I actually have a single port engine...I was sure it was a double port before! I have one carb rebuild kit, so I'll do the right hand one cause its leaking the worst.

The oil breather pipe was spitting oil out, so I'll add a bit of tubing to it and route it down so its pointing towards the road! I also discovered that there was NO gasket at all between the oil filler pipe and the casting, reulting in more oil dribbling out there....so I'm gonna make up a round gasket from some gasket paper to sort that one out.

The clutch release bearing clip had fallen off, but it was just bent out of shape so I bent it back and then put it on again...seems to be working fine.

If the fuel is leaking from the spindles, a rebuild kit won't fix it. The carbs will need to be rebushed or replaced.

It might be worth doing a compresion test on your engine (after setting the valve clearances) as if it is spitting oil out of the breather it could point to piston ring trouble.

Make sure it's not over full with oil first.

pete nice said:
If the fuel is leaking from the spindles, a rebuild kit won't fix it. The carbs will need to be rebushed or replaced.

I've just dismantled the carb and as you say, theres nothing in the rebuild kit to fix the leaking spindles. No way I'm paying £360 for new carbs that will eventually go the same way!. I'd go back to stock first.

Know anywhere that would rebush them for me?

Latest posts