Replacement engine advice...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruth11

Reaction score
I've tried searching for threads on this but as the search engine won't search for the word "engine" it makes life a little hard!

We are looking to replace the engine in our '69 tin top. Have about £5k to spend. Hubby can't decide whether to go with a VW twin carb option, or a Subaru one or even something else?!

We are looking for a bit more pull, so it will do 70 on the motorway and reliability... Is it possible on this budget? Which option would you go for and why? Currently bus has a standard dual port 1600 engine. It is lowered on drop spindles at the front and adjustable spring plates at the rear, other than that, it's pretty stock.

Can anyone recommend someone to go and talk to about different options in the Midlands (preferably East) area?

Thanks

For that budget you could get a very nice engine built with a few bells and whistles. If you just want more torques then avoid big valve heads and big carbs etc, you need to have good air flow at low revs. Also go for stroke over bore.

Speak to the builders and see what they say.

Personally I would go to Laurie Pettitt for a WBX cranked 1955cc plodder that should last for ever.

You could base this on a brand new case, so effectively a new engine.

I am sure you will get loads more advice shortly.

Jon

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

If I had a 5k budget for an engine and wasn't fussed about retaining the aircooled lump I would personally look towards dropping in a 1.9 tdi PD engine from a golf/bora.

50/60 mpg, run at 70 all day long and cheap to source and maintain.

Not sure about all the extras like fuel tank, radiators etc but it has been done before and done well on some alternative engine forums.

Worth a thought 8)

Good luck - could be an exciting project

Me, I'd be spending just over half the budget on a secondhand stroker engine around two litres, and the rest on upgrading the gearbox to lower the revs at 70mph.

Otherwise, it'll still be doing 4000RPM at 70mph whatever engine you have...

That's not what I'm planning for mine ;)

A good option though, and leaves more ££ for the engine. :)

Personally with that money I would look towards Wolfsberg performance or John maher jmr
Probably the 2 top engine builders in uk

ruth11 said:
I've tried searching for threads on this but as the search engine won't search for the word "engine" it makes life a little hard!

We are looking to replace the engine in our '69 tin top. Have about £5k to spend. Hubby can't decide whether to go with a VW twin carb option, or a Subaru one or even something else?!

We are looking for a bit more pull, so it will do 70 on the motorway and reliability... Is it possible on this budget? Which option would you go for and why? Currently bus has a standard dual port 1600 engine. It is lowered on drop spindles at the front and adjustable spring plates at the rear, other than that, it's pretty stock.

Can anyone recommend someone to go and talk to about different options in the Midlands (preferably East) area?

Thanks

IF you want to stay aircooled flat 4, then please please please go and speak to one of the experts, don't do it over the phone, go and visit them, have a cuppa and spend a hour or so going through exactly what your thoughts are... what you want from an engine and how you are going to use it will have a huge impact on what choices/selections are made for your build.... either of those that Oslo_Mark recommended or James at Stateside Tuning - he's just south of Coventry if location is important to you... Laurie Petite was also mentioned too, I've heard nothing but good things about him.

Don't buy anything for your new build until you have drawn up a spcc with your builder... and in most cases, they might be able to get it slightly cheaper anyway!

There are hundreds of myths and a lot of BS on various forums (including this one I hate to say) about engines that I have read, so my advice... get the names of who the experts are and talk to them... ignore all the rest of the words!

One last thing... There will be a waiting list, in some instances a considerable one, be prepared for this in your plans.. you won't have a new engine built a installed in time for Easter!! :D

Great advise Shorty , also get on the Ssvc site and ask VWJIM he's in Basingstoke and one of the originators of BWA

Oslo_mark69 said:
Personally with that money I would look towards Wolfsberg performance or John maher jmr
Probably the 2 top engine builders in uk

Also Mark @ Autotechniks 01372 878 464

BUT you'll be looking at more than 5k i would think for any of the top builders in the UK.

I think you need to think more about a gearbox than engine:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Rancho-T2-Freeway-Flyer-002-Gearbox-Inc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;£350-S-Chg-AC300002FF_act_shop.product_pID_71864255_lang_EN_country_GB.htm

(Cant get this link to work properly but it's product code AC300002FF on our site or copy and paste the above link.)

That is a 002 gearbox so same as you have in your van (so no messing about converting things) with all the gear set out of an 091 box (so longer gearing).

To get this to cruise all day long at 70mph your don't need to go for a big engine a 1776cc would be more than adequate:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Engine-VW-Heritage-All-New-1776-211100037_act_shop.product_pID_74811283_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll need to add an external oil cooler when fitting a larger engine (Somehting cost wise people always overlook)

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Bugpack-Cooler-Fan-Kit-AC117308410_act_shop.product_pID_184976_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plus a filter

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Oil-filter-FRAM-HP1-10-AC115351_act_shop.product_pID_150494_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remember the prices you'll be seeing are retail, feel free to either call up heritage 01444 251 270 and ask for me Alex or email me on [email protected] and I am sure I can work out a much better deal for you.

Even if you just want a chat to talk things through feel free to get in touch.

Good Luck with it.

Thanks

Alex

P.s. if your going to go subaru I'd speak to Simon 07817 865 722, he is suberb at coversions!

I love my Subaru conversion :msn4:
Need to bare in mind ground clearance if you go watercooled and have a radiator slung underneath...
Also speak to Richard @ RJES as he makes and sells all the conversion bits including radiator setup now...http://www.rjes.com/
But...do think about doing the gearbox...just got mine back in the van after Pete @ Cogbox stuck a taller 4th and crown and pinion in it, and first impressions are brilliant and make the van so much more driveable :D

Great, thanks for all the replies Chaps!
Will make sure hubby reads it all and will report back what he decides to do :)

Fellows Spped Shop have a good reputation if you plan to go Scooby power, they are in Hopwood just off Jcn 2 of the M42 (same location as us), they do a drive in and out service so you drop your bus off and a few weeks later pick it up with scooby power installed for you, not sure on exact prices but its around the £5K mark.

Heres a link to their site and tell them Graham sent you :) http://www.fellowsspeedshop.com/services/engine-conversions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts