Replacement Front Seats

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi 1st time post here so don’t shoot me down for even thinking about this 😬. I was thinking about changing my front seat’s in my 69 Bay for something a bit more comfortable for the longer journeys and have been looking at various options. I have found a pair of Audi A1 S-Line half leather front seats that I like the look of and wondering if has anyone tried these for fitment or actually done the conversion? If so are they a good fit do they sit low enough for clearance for your legs and steering wheel (I’m around 6ft) or if anyone has any other suggestions for best fitting seats.
Many Thanks in advance

Attachments

• E5A4A40B-E499-490A-BFEE-EAFA819C2F22.jpeg
    E5A4A40B-E499-490A-BFEE-EAFA819C2F22.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 0
Don’t think anyone will shoot you down for it. It seems to be a popular thing to do but not heard of anyone using that particular style of seat. The most popular would have been Porsche seats but Mazda seats seem to be the go to currently , closely followed by MG seats. It would be interesting to have just one or two people test all of the different ones available to get a realistic ish appraisal. Somebody here recently had their seats completely replaced by a very popular VW motor trimmer and they looked almost identical to the original but modern at the same time but can’t for the life of me remember who it was. If I ever change mine, I’m thinking that’s where I’d get a pair for mine. Expensive but then comfort always is, reckon you’d get a good percentage of your money back if you sold them on after a couple of years so maybe not so expensive. I’ll try and track them down for you. As for those seats that you’ve pictured, very similar In looks to the Porsche ones so try them if you have them. My issue would be wearing out the side bolsters by dragging my large arse in and out as seems to be happening to most sports car seats in vans. It dont look like a lot of arse wriggle room In the buckets.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,might investigate them other seats myself :)

Thanks for your response I’ve looked at the Mx5 seats which are reasonably priced the Porsche seats I’d need to remortgage to get 😂 I get what your saying about the bolster on the sports seats alot I’ve seen for sale are already burst there I think I’d be ok with that problem though I’m lucky if I’m 12st soaking wet.
I totally agree about getting people together who have tried different manufacturers to get some feedback on the pluses and negatives to give others some pointers before buying something that is useless.
If I decide to give the A1 seats a go I’ll give some updates and photos of the surgery.

I put Newton Commercial seats in mine and it's definitely one of the best upgrades I've done. They are so comfy. Also they don't have big side bolsters so it's easy to slide in and out of the van.

068.JPG

Thanks for your response I’ve looked at the Mx5 seats which are reasonably priced the Porsche seats I’d need to remortgage to get 😂 I get what your saying about the bolster on the sports seats alot I’ve seen for sale are already burst there I think I’d be ok with that problem though I’m lucky if I’m 12st soaking wet.
I totally agree about getting people together who have tried different manufacturers to get some feedback on the pluses and negatives to give others some pointers before buying something that is useless.
If I decide to give the A1 seats a go I’ll give some updates and photos of the surgery.

Have a look at Mikes seats that he’s got from Newton commercial.
There’s a thread on here in the gallery section
Monty The Red Camper Van
page 29
These are the ones I’m thinking about throwing a chunk at and I’m sure they’d hold their resale value fairly well and keep the stock ones in the loft. I reckon I’d maybe go for heated pads too.

Ozziedog,,,,,,, My Mrs might love these. :)

I put Newton Commercial seats in mine and it's definitely one of the best upgrades I've done. They are so comfy. Also they don't have big side bolsters so it's easy to slide in and out of the van.

View attachment 2958
Ooh!, i like those, are they a straight fit replacement?.
Dare i ask, "How much Wonga" ?.

View attachment 2958
Those seats look amazing and I’ve just had a look on the website and are definitely quality but I’m on a bit of a low budget just now and would need to sell the bus to get them 😂👍

Those seats look amazing and I’ve just had a look on the website and are definitely quality but I’m on a bit of a low budget just now and would need to sell the bus to get them 😂👍
I went for Mazda MX5 seats and picked up a set of 2 for 80 quid and refurbished them myself with new foam.
Happy wife happy life.;);).

J & P
:D:D:D

I'm tall, I fitted daihatsu hijet seats which have a low squab, had them recovered, and had a extension welded to then to give more support under my legs which was easy enough.

Attachments

• 16603824965476290140088261340464.jpg
    16603824965476290140088261340464.jpg
    736.8 KB · Views: 1
Before you spend so much £££ for modern seats, consider just having yours rebuilt with new foam. It’s a lot more budget-friendly.

I’ve just fitted MGF seats in my Crewcab, they are cheap around £150 a pair and are really comfy, there’s a place in Blackpool that breaks cars and I got them from there, I’ll get some pics

I’ve just fitted MGF seats in my Crewcab, they are cheap around £150 a pair and are really comfy, there’s a place in Blackpool that breaks cars and I got them from there, I’ll get some pics
When I come back to MEB for some work I need doing I'll have to sit in them and test them ;)

I’ve got Range Rover P38 seats in mine, very comfortable and similar size to originals, in fact I used the original subframe from a scrap seat and bolted the RR seat to it. The passenger side is on aftermarket runners. Here’s the RR and original for comparison.

Attachments

• 867F63EC-E2B5-4A2B-BA00-E2F4227353FD.jpeg
    867F63EC-E2B5-4A2B-BA00-E2F4227353FD.jpeg
    581.5 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts