Replacement standard Carburettor

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Power

Reaction score
I have a 1.6 t1 engine in a 1970 van,the engine code is AE which is twin port,the carb fitted is a 30pict 2 which runs ok but there is a slight damp residue from the throttle spindle and a slight flat spot midrange,I have stripped the carb but the bushes on this type are not replaceable,my question is are the gsf or similar remade solex carbs a direct replacement.I do not want to move away from a solex.The part 181vg0040 shown on gsf site says it needs a adaptor for a 34 pict manifold.Does that mean I have a twin port engine with a single port manifold,is that possible?can anyone recommend someone to refurbish and overhaul to fix the worn spindle?
thanks for any help

30 pict2 tend to weep a little at the spindle when the engine isnt running, due to gravity and wear
once the engine fires up, that little weep gets sucked into your engine, so unless its leaking petrol from the spindle 'while running' I wouldnt worry about it

30pict has a different size footprint than a 34pct....so you need an appropriate manifold for each carb...but both came in twin port guies

personally, on a 1600 tp, I would run a 34pct carb, but a 30pct will do the job

Thanks for the response,I will check the wear again and if required I will have this carb rebuilt,2 rebuilders I found on Google could not do it for a month as too busy(good in a way) at a cost of just over £110.trawling though forums this seems the best way to go keeping the German solex. There is a good article on Rob and Daves vw resource which covers the carb fitment and evolution in depth.

Hello

I have buyed 4 rebuilt solex carbs

from tim at volkzbitz.com

he live from america but is a englishman

the carbs is very nice

and a good price

Karl

Latest posts