Restoring my '71 bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is still soo much to do though, mostly brakes, loom and fitting the engine and nicely rebuilt gearbox. I need to earn some cash for that so in the meantime I am doing little bits I can by myself.....

Like painting the panels and behind the engine with this sound deadening stuff

CyByLJuly10117.jpg

CyByLJuly10118.jpg

CyByLJuly10120.jpg

CyByLJuly10122.jpg

CyByLJuly10124.jpg

CyByLJuly10128.jpg

Also trying this stuff under the battery trays and in the wheels arches before she gets a final coat of stonechip underneath.....

CyByLJuly10132.jpg

CyByLJuly10131.jpg

Forgot to take an 'after' pic of the above, well it was a bit cramped and hot!

You can prob see from the pics I have got the windows in, nicely powder coated dash is in and the loom is in place, just needs connecting up.

I could do without coming across probs like this.....

CyByLJuly10054.jpg

but found a replacement from a friend :) Some days it seems I have been getting nowhere, the headlights were a nightmare, the seal between the engine and the gearbox is bloody impossible, so have given up on that and been tarting up other bits...

CyByLJuly10025.jpg

CyByLJuly10064.jpg

CyByLJuly10159.jpg

CyByLJuly10164.jpg

Bumpers were a bit of a mess so have been filling and sanding and filling and sanding etc etc etc for about 3 days, they are going to the powder coaters this week so will be the same colour as the wheels :)

CyByLJuly10162.jpg

CyByLJuly10165.jpg

Also the engine is finally out of my lounge, after 18 months lol so I have started putting all the ancillaries on :)

CyByLJuly10167.jpg

CyByLJuly10168.jpg

Its really only cash flow now thats preventing her being ready for Vanfest, all I need is 5 tyres a battery and 2 front shocks but got some old bits of tat on ebay, lets hope I get silly money for stuff and she will be on the road :D

Doing a great job so far - amazing what can be done with little funds ;)

Had a little get together over the weekend so friends could see the progress.......

212.jpg

224.jpg

Loads more pics here.... http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/type2tattoo/VW%20Camp%20Out/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was really hoping to get the engine at least in, managed the gearbox then realised I didn't have the starter motor bush, so gave up on that. It would have been nice to have her new wheels and tyres on too but cock up with the brake parts meant that was a waste of time so she was towed into the field we camped in.....

DSC00280.jpg

216.jpg

218.jpg

223.jpg

39195_451970930700_529585700_6886380_7451659_n.jpg

On the home stretch now :) Just lol all the brakes wheel hubs discs drums etc to do, loom to finish, wheels on and engine in, sorted :D

What a difference a bit (OK - a lot) of work makes 8)

Looking very resplendent in her new clothes - like you say, on the home stretch now ;)

amazing job. How I wish I had half an ounce of know how to do similar with my own bus.

Looking good Lynds hope you make your deadline with Vanfest, we wont be making it this year but hope to catch up with you at BB if your going.

Cheers Dal :) We are not doing Vanfest either :( its money I could be spending on a new set of shocks or something ;) Can't see us doing BB either but I live in hope :) She's a damn sight nearer and MOT this year anyway :D x x x

Hey, love the bus! Amazing transformation, really good work.
Did you paint it with 2 pack or something cheaper? Nice how the tyres match your paint :mrgreen:

T2-Nate said:
Hey, love the bus! Amazing transformation, really good work.
Did you paint it with 2 pack or something cheaper? Nice how the tyres match your paint :mrgreen:

Cheeky, it was 2 pack but it is a 'budget' resto she is still a long way off finished so stop being pickey lol

She will look better with these on......

August10048.jpg

Lynds are you going to do your own headlining was going to have mine put in profesionally but quite fancy having a go myself. top looks straight forward but not sure about renewing it around the side widows.

loving the colour, its on my short lit of final colours for mine :D

As has been said and with all youve gone through the end result is a credit to all that have weilded a spanner/grinder/hammer at it, an inspiration

Dal said:
Lynds are you going to do your own headlining was going to have mine put in profesionally but quite fancy having a go myself. top looks straight forward but not sure about renewing it around the side widows.

Not sure what I am doing with the headlining yet, I might go the wood panel route but I do really like the look of a well fitted fabric liner :) I think that is a decission I will make next spring :)
Good luck with yours let me know how it goes :)

Thanks Nugsy :D

After looking at prices for headlining I think I am going to go the wood panel route, also I don't want to take the windows out again and maybe stretch the rubber, I refurbed the roof rack with some lovely Iroko wood and have found some Iroko ply thats not too expensive so I am contemplating doing the whole interior with that :)

Since August I have got the engine in but had loads of little probs, the loom was wrong, too short it was for a later Bay, had the wrong engine mount, wrong flap bar on the fan shroud.

Last week I got the accelerater cable in and one handbrake cable the other one got stuck and the conduit broke, the clutch cable is completely stuck in the conduit too <_<

Got the master cylinder on, gear linkages and gear stick, tried to get the calipers on the front but it looks like the discs are wrong :? Also have the wrong bumper mounts :?

I hopefully have an 8 hour day booked for her next week when all these issues can be looked at and the accelerater pedal can be welded in and maybe I will finally hear that engine fire up :)

Think you should change your name to 'Unlucky Alf' after the 'Fast Show' character :lol:

Fingers crossed that the 8 hours are a good 8 hours ;)

Latest posts