Retrosounds review + speakers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoddy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at asking the big guy Mr xmas for a stereo so i can have some tunes in the bus. My dash is currently uncut and has the orig radio in (but not working). I don't want to alter the dash so looking at the Retrosounds units. Can anyone offer any reviews/advice on these?

Also, just planning on having a couple of speakers up front to start with (whole interior of bus to be sorted) and I'm thinking order a pair of kickboards and fit them in those. Anyone know what size speaker fits ok clearance wise?

Cheers for any advice
Craig

I know its a long way for you,

But if you are near Brighton before Christmas, you are more than welcome to come play with the Demo unit in our shop.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Alex

I have to say after fitting a couple of these I think they are overpriced and very plasticy for what you get, if you want to listen to music off your ipod or similar I'd look out for a period radio like a blaupunkt with the din socket on the back that you can get the lead for to connect to ipod/dab radio or similar.

Shoddy said:
Thanks Alex! Out of interest, does the earlybay discount cover these? :0)

Yes of course it does,

Unlike our competitors your Earlybay discount applies to everything (that isn't already in a sale), so from the smallest washer to new engines we offer a flat 5% discount to forum members,

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Alex

Thanks Alex....good to hear!

Not even sure if the radio that's in can be upgraded in any way for the aux/ipod. It's the original motorolla sapphire XIV. Looking at sellers of the old radios on ebay that do now come with the ability to hook up an ipod. They tend to be retailing around £140 ish and come with 6 mth guarantee. Hear what you're saying with the modern units not having that quality feel Graham, often the way. I guess the 2 yr guarantee gives you a bit more confidence.

Anyone know what size speaker you can get away with in the kick panels? Is it 5, 5.25" inch?

Cheers
Craig

Something to check out, is the OG unit mono ? I think I read they were.

I've got one in mine. For the most part I'm happy with it but I have had a few issues. The control knobs are super sensitive and quite hard to operate while driving. You try to skip forward a track and it jumps ahead or back randomly. Same for the volume control. You turn it up and it goes down, turn it down and it randomly starts blaring. Customer service said to check my voltage... didn't have any trouble with my pioneer unit and nothing else has changed. Hope that helps...nothing is perfect I guess!

I've got one too, I looked at getting a retro stereo and the like but the amount of faff and using your phone etc put me off.
I went for very basic to match the stock bus, no chrome, all black plastic.
As a stereo its nothing more than OK. The bonus for me is that it looks right and has the right line in/out for when I want to look into putting a sub, amp etc in at a later date. As Humphrey said the knobs are sensitive, you try to skip a track and end up playing something random and as there are no labels and a basic screen you have to remember what the different knobs do in the context of what you are playing (radio/USB stick etc) and my brain is hopeless at that, especially as I don't drive mine every day. The menu system is not very intuative so when driving I find it a bit tricky to locate that album I wanted to listen too but if you are on a long (slow) journey then who cares.
But, the bonus of using a USB stick is great, they are so cheap now I just bought a huge capacity one and dumped tons of music on it so I can always choose what I want and don't have to plug a phone in. I've only got crappy speakers in the doors so the sound is pretty bad, it on the list of jobs to do in the future.
As a stereo its OK but for me it fits the bill perfectly as it looks like it was meant to be there and doesn't attract the wrong attention but gives me modern day features, perfect.
20150411_112310_zpszhw4erwf.jpg

I have an old LW MW radio in my bus, found instructions for adding an auxiliary input on the web, couple of solder joints an I can now play my Ipod through it, only plays in monp though.

Bluesnailman said:
I've been wondering about 'motorcycle' speakers mounted on dash top and a subwoofer hidden behind a cab seat. Anyone any experience of these?

Retro sound do a compact amp and sub unit, its for under a beetle seats but would also sit behind your cab seats with ease in a bay.

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC999RS8100/subwoofer-retro-stereo-8-with-built-in-amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like retro sound it is. Cheers for pics guys, they do look the part.

Next question.... As I don't have a leisure battery setup at the mo, any issues with just having it wired as per orig unit?

Mine is wired up from the fusebox as the OG radio would have been and is switched on/off via the ignition. Although I have added a switch to override the ignition for when camping and I want the stereo on without frying the coil.

This is a good shout. It sucks not having an acc port on the ignition.

Mags said:
Mine is wired up from the fusebox as the OG radio would have been and is switched on/off via the ignition. Although I have added a switch to override the ignition for when camping and I want the stereo on without frying the coil.[/q

How do you do this as thinking of doing the same?

:)

How is the sound on these? I'm not well up in car head units and amps etc. but sound quality is really important to me. I chose my home stereo (showing my age there - stereo :( ) after lots of research and actual listening. Bit of a analogue bias :msn4: but there you go. I know it's objective but just how good is the sound? Clear, not bass heavy etc. Anyone a bit anal about sound quality more than volume and gadgets like me?

Overall the sound quality is very good from the retro sounds head unit. I have a fairly high end alpine unit in my other car and I prefer the sound from this. Although to be fair the speakers in the bus are better so it's not an entirely even comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts