Right hand drive sliding doors

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt48

Reaction score
Hi

beginning to think about the sliding door, it has the usual damage at the bottom of the door, rust spots and paint bubbling. So does it just need a repair panel. Because new ones? Rocking horse pooh. I know you cant comment without seeing but I've had the other repaired along the bottom 4 inches and both front wheel arches.

Is it easy to change the lock barrel as well, I have to unlock from the inside.

Then onto windscreen surround and front skirt renewal. Rome wasn't built in a day.!!

Well replaced handle that was easy.

Any advice on alignment of inner repair panel and getting curvature correct, I am going to film and measure and photo original before starting the repair. I am surprised that door has lasted this long!!!

when I did mine, I just put some tacks on the inner panel so I could put the door on and kinda bend it into alinement, it was a pain in the ass but if you've got nothing to go on its all you can do.. lots of trail and error.

If you are replacing the inner lower part of the door and the outer skin is fairly intact; leave the outer skin and use it as a template \ former to correctly position the inner part first. Replace the outer skin once the inner panel has been welded up. Worked for me.

Quite pleased with state of door after 48 years, hoping I will not need all of the inner repair panel and will be taking my time doing the front weld. Butt weld or a lip on that bit? 3.9 MB

Cut off the final edge but keeping the main old body, only using about half of the repair inner panel going to spot weld along upper and lower edges and drill some holes in the middle and weld there too. Not going anywhere!!

Then got to clear the flange area up to 9 inch. Then the cut and butt up the outer piece. Might do some of the welding from the inside once its located with spots.

53 b xcVXFmQ9.url You can't upload files of this type. Check Error 53 b xcVXFmQ9.url You can't upload files of this type. Check Error

Latest posts