Road Trip help! campsites in Somerset & Cornwall

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Telford Mulisha

Reaction score
Had my mate round last night to plan which shows we're gonna do this year which was pretty easy, but what we were supposed to do was plan our two week road trip/holiday to Cornwall.

So any help would be ace !

Here's the plan... kind of and the dates 14 Aug- 3 Sept.

Bearing in mind we've got a 5 and 3 yr old and my mate's got a 5 yr old, the plan is to drive (from Telford, Shropshire) and stop over for 3 nights somewhere between Bristol and Bridgewater (on the M5 M-way corridor). From there we head to Newquay for maybe 7 nights and then on to somewhere else for 3 nights, not sure where yet though :?:

Any personal recommendations or personal experience would be really appreciated and after already tapping in some dates into some campsites (in Newquay) I think £30 a night takes the piss! Bloody School Holidays :oops:

Decided on these for the shows though... can't wait...
April - Bus Types (Oswestry)
May - All Types (N.Wales)
June - Dubs & Retro Mania (Weston Park, Staffordshire)
July - Camper Jam (Weston Park)
July - BugJam (SantaPod)
Sept - Vanfest (Malverns)

Cheers

Nik......

Right between Bristol & Bridgewater if you want the Coast it's Weaton-super-mare or Brean really for Camping or you could drop on to the A38 for Cheddar where they have Oktoberfest.
As for Newquay you got lot's of options I usually stay at Watergate Bay Touring park though it's got a bit expensive of late
its just outside Newquay we were there last year at the Board Masters Fest, there are some nice sites around Mawgan Porth area just up the road from here.
Now for the third options you drive down the A30 to Gwithian near Hayle a nice site named Gwithian farm, or Church farm both in excellent positions more a less in the sand dunes.
If your fed-up with the Atlantic Coast head for Mevagissey way a site called Pentewan sands right on the Beach.

I hope this has kick-started your thread.

Good advice Brett

You could also do Home Farm in Burnham on Sea, thats litterally off the M5 J22, then Polzeath is a good next stop, right on the coast looking over the beach 8). I can recomend Pentuwan also (stayed there last 3 years).

Just

another for Churchtown Farm at Gwithian near Hayle....got 2 weeks booked there for beggining of August....really can't wait that long :cry:

Bundy said:
another for Churchtown Farm at Gwithian near Hayle....got 2 weeks booked there for beggining of August....really can't wait that long :cry:

I didnt book that site in advance last summer and couldnt get in, heard good things about the location.

Just

we did a week there last year and then moved up to Padstow....we regretted moving big time!
The location is just brilliant...stroll off the campsite onto the sand dunes...2 mins later...or 5 with child!...and your on a positively huge beach (about 3 miles long I think). Great waves too.
Just a really nice relaxing place and hopefully sunny again this year!!!

Cheers
Al

Some good advice there bud - we might do a little tour round Cornwall and Devon this august as well. That site in hayle sounds worth a look.....

r73 said:
Some good advice there bud - we might do a little tour round Cornwall and Devon this august as well. That site in hayle sounds worth a look.....

Might see u there again ;)

Just

creationblue said:
r73 said:

Just

All this talk about Cornwall has got me going :lol: specially about Gwithian, come on fellas lets get organised have a meet up :) I was thinking of going down when they have the vw show around the Falmouth area in August.
Last year in mid August I was the only early Bay down there, it was kinda lonely. :(

Back in late June we stayed at a campsite by Fowey in a place called Polruan on the opposite side of the river totally
uncommercial & a working little port. 8)
We were booked for 5 nights but stayed for 10 we would of stayed even longer if not for having to move our daughter back to Bristol from Plymouth University via the return journey. :(
We found this site to be perfect for our needs the 2 pubs at the bottom of the hill did really good food even a takeaway service & excellent Beer & Cider along with very attractive female bar staff :D

DSCN1663.jpg

view from just outside campsite
DSCN1664.jpg

View from Polruan village up the river Fowey
DSCN1660.jpg

one of my Dogs having a swim looks more like a Otter. :lol:
Hope to return this year the week before Camper Jam. :mrgreen:
Heres the link.
http://www.polruanholidays.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

creationblue said:
r73 said:

Just
Sounds good. Thought you were planning a trip to Spain?
Think we might head west from polzeath this year. We always do north Cornwall cos the inlaws are at Bude but fancy a bit of tour around like you guys did last year.
Def be good to meet up with fellow early bayers. Reckon we'll be down there first 2 weeks of August.

r73 said:
creationblue said:
r73 said:

Just
Sounds good. Thought you were planning a trip to Spain?
Think we might head west from polzeath this year. We always do north Cornwall cos the inlaws are at Bude but fancy a bit of tour around like you guys did last year.
Def be good to meet up with fellow early bayers. Reckon we'll be down there first 2 weeks of August.

Just been pricing up the ferry, and the fact its 24hrs + each way with 3 small kids, think this may wait a year or so............was thinking same 2 weeks as you this year

creationblue said:
Sorry for the thread hijack TM

Ill start another :lol:

Just

No worries Just.... this is starting to like a potential meet up :party0041:

I'll probably miss out too, cause we're not rollin down til the last 2 wks of August :evil:

Get the word out and invade Cornwall with early's, that would be awesome!!
:party0023:

Cheers
Nik

Sounds good just has started another thread on Cornwall trip this August so let's try and sort something out 8)

Nik
Good lineup of shows there. I can't recommend Dubs At The Castle enough, especially with kids, if ur not working find time for this.
I will check my diary and see if we can get a convoy To one of the shows (haven't got the cb yet but that's an easy fix), I'm home Thursday for two weeks so I'll give u a call.
We used Isle Of Avalon in Glastonbury which was walking distance of town for our stopover to cornwall. Cornwall we did Bude, Perranporth and Pra sands so I have no idea of Newquay sorry.

Hi Harry, nice to hear from ya. I aint sorted the cb yet either. Dubs at the Castle is the same wkend as Bugjam and so we're doing that this year.

Went to Campermart today, there was a good turn out bit not many traders. Good show though with live music, bmx and roller derby. I expect nxt yr it may grow there's defo potential there & the venu was good too

We'll defo have to hook up & arrange mini convoy.

Take it easy dude...

Nik

Sent using tapatalk

Latest posts