Road Trip to Cornwall

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fred you`re almost local being from plymouth innit? Crantock is awesome and there a full beach and an obvious safe spot called kiddies corner...please be aware though that the tide change is quite quick and if you are in the rivermouth then the swell can change from fun to lairy in 5 mins flat....be warned stay away from the rivermouth....the locals use it for pigdog pratice....st ives is always worth a shunt and with hayle beaches on tap is always a winner for a family.Enjoy cornwall whilst us cornish types are WORKING :mrgreen:

Leigh on Sea not plymouth mate. I will check them out and thanks for the heads up. I will try not to have too much fun!!!!

Fred

Bus is now loaded and ready for the 8+ hr drive from Suffolk to St Ives in the morning, AA membership is up to date and credit card clear. ;) Heres to 2 weeks of pasties and cider :p

Early westy in grey - say hi if you see us!

Im all loaded up ready to go tomorrow sometime hitting Bude first then Falmouth over to St Ives (4 days each) then the last 4 days we dont know yet it will be a suprise. :D

right decided to hit the cornwall run after seeing all these posts, MOT Wednesday fingers cross :shock: , pack the van and go on Thursday, just need to find a camp site in the morning now

All being well heading down to Lobb Fields 2 weeks today!! (I know its Devon but its on the way) :mrgreen:

loading bus now!! leaving in the morning - first stop Bude!
COME ON!!!!!!

fredamens said:
Hi Scott

Im going to Cornwall also for the last week in August me, wife, 2 kids and staying at treagofarm. Any good? http://www.treagofarm.co.uk/camping.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We want to have a crack at surfing any recomendations where to go. Our closest beach is Polly Joke and a tad further Crantock i believe.

Thanks fella and any other places to visit whilst there would be much appreciated.

Fred
Crantock beach is truly stunning, 1 of the best in my opinion, polly joke is a lot quiter and a bit of a trek to get down to but a good starting point to walk the headlands.
Perrenporth is a BIG flat beach and i think the 1st shop in the high street can teach you how to surf (Is this your mates place Scott?)

Just got back from st.ives, we went to sennen cove, the surf was luverly there! nice little village too.

windsurfer said:
:D Going on an epic road trip to Sennen Cove,

Crikey, brings back memories! Long time ago, (about 25+ years :shock: ) we used to go down that way a lot. Somewhere have pics of Miks '58 bug (named Rommel), Jinxs' '63 bug, Robs '60 Ghia 'vert and my '62 105E Anglia ( :oops: ) parked up and looking so cool in the car park at Sennen Cove.
Leave Sennen on the A30 heading for Lands End, and on the right there is/was a pub standing on its own and a campsite dead opposite. Stayed there a several times and if memory serves, there was a good chippy halfway between Sennen and the campsite, think Rob lived on pasty,chips and beans!
Between Sennen and Penzance was a small garage whose owner had a Sunbeam Tiger, (an Alpine with yank V8 motor!) and when the bottom end of my engine started knocking, he towed me in and let me use the workshop foc! A collapsed FoMoCo oil filter to blame, new shells and Fram filter later we were up and running again!
Robs Ghia convertible was slammed, but with six of us in it cruising, it was dragging it's arse! All wearing black wrap around shades and straight faces (as in Robert Palmer-Addicted to Love) but with 'Nooshooze-I Can't Wait' blasting from the tape deck through Pioneer TS-X7 (or whatever) speakers, we were the coooolest crowd cruising Penzance that summer!!!!!!
Or at least thats how I remember things.... fun times.....rights of passage....first girl I bought roses for......
Have fun dood, if it's half as good as my rose tinted memories, then brace yourself for a top holiday. 8)

Pete B said:
windsurfer said:
:D Going on an epic road trip to Sennen Cove,

Crikey, brings back memories! Long time ago, (about 25+ years :shock: ) we used to go down that way a lot. Somewhere have pics of Miks '58 bug (named Rommel), Jinxs' '63 bug, Robs '60 Ghia 'vert and my '62 105E Anglia ( :oops: ) parked up and looking so cool in the car park at Sennen Cove.
Leave Sennen on the A30 heading for Lands End, and on the right there is/was a pub standing on its own and a campsite dead opposite. Stayed there a several times and if memory serves, there was a good chippy halfway between Sennen and the campsite, think Rob lived on pasty,chips and beans!
Between Sennen and Penzance was a small garage whose owner had a Sunbeam Tiger, (an Alpine with yank V8 motor!) and when the bottom end of my engine started knocking, he towed me in and let me use the workshop foc! A collapsed FoMoCo oil filter to blame, new shells and Fram filter later we were up and running again!
Robs Ghia convertible was slammed, but with six of us in it cruising, it was dragging it's arse! All wearing black wrap around shades and straight faces (as in Robert Palmer-Addicted to Love) but with 'Nooshooze-I Can't Wait' blasting from the tape deck through Pioneer TS-X7 (or whatever) speakers, we were the coooolest crowd cruising Penzance that summer!!!!!!
Or at least thats how I remember things.... fun times.....rights of passage....first girl I bought roses for......
Have fun dood, if it's half as good as my rose tinted memories, then brace yourself for a top holiday. 8)

Jumpers for goalposts? ;)

Wow looks like there's a few of us earlybayer's in cornwall at the mo.we're in st ives now having travelled down from sheffield on friday,350 miles without any probs.moving up to newquay on saturday for a week,will look out for you guy's.
Happy hols .

been up and down the a30 , m5 like a yoyo on speed this last week and seen loads and loads and loads of earlybays...some lates and quite a few brazlians...If you got flashed by a looney in a ford box van that was me hangin out the window from a FORD!Likewise if it was a knackered white t4 going the wrong way that was me too.Cornwall has been over run this year by holidaymakers like i have never seen...think the numbers are at least 25% up on a good year and seen loads of earlies in me hometown..love it i do :mrgreen:
luckily only been called by two folks...
overttok the lowest white westy on the m5 north just before brisle today.....whoever it was didn`t have a 1.6 in there as my t4 was struggling to overtake..yankee import original wheels deluxe trim and CRUISIN

froggy said:
fredamens said:
Hi Scott

i think the 1st shop in the high street can teach you how to surf (Is this your mates place Scott?)

Yeah bathsheba is a great place to get started...matt and tegan are super friendly and they want you to have fun.You can tell bathsheba A by its name and B by the medussa like wood sculpture from indo on the shop front....go inside to see an indonesian mans life work...Mention campersforhire and they`ll charge you double :mrgreen: no seriously try it

DSC02804.jpg

didnt quite make it as planned - rear wheel bearing gave up just outside warminster!
local recovery to exeter and AA from there on to Bude - 9hr - 200 mile trip!!
Still free fuel, aa gave us a cheque for £25 and kids thought it was great riding in the trucks!! and we had drinks in the fridge!
After a slightly panicked call to Scott - he recomended finding someone local.

I found a local garage in Bude 'Kings Hill Motor Repairs' and Dave there was great. I had the parts sent to him form GSF same day and its now sorted. Top bloke.

Were off to St Ives on the 16th and plan to visit a fair amount of cornwall as well. Cheers for putting your number up Scott in case I have any problems . Anyone know of any good surfing beaches around St ives ? I've not been that way since I was about 10

hayle beach is awesome for surf and theres loads of spots along that particular stretch we often go there when perran is getting too big as hayle tends to be a 1ft or so smaller and can hold that swell.St ives itself has surf on bigger swells but beware the bald pot bellied local longboarders they are very localised! access to hayle beach through a caravan park off the approach roundabout...difficult to describe it better than that..if you search ye shall find.
Glad you got sorted r73

r73 said:
DSC02804.jpg

didnt quite make it as planned - rear wheel bearing gave up just outside warminster!
Still free fuel, aa gave us a cheque for £25 and kids thought it was great riding in the trucks!! and we had drinks in the fridge!

I found a local garage in Bude 'Kings Hill Motor Repairs' and Dave there was great. I had the parts sent to him form GSF same day and its now sorted. Top bloke.

Were you parked in "Splash" car park by Morrisons on Wednesday?

sparkywig said:
r73 said:
DSC02804.jpg

Were you parked in "Splash" car park by Morrisons on Wednesday?

Yes mate!! doing a bit of shopping!! were staying in Marhamchurch until sunday then on to Polzeath for a few days before we head back up to Bude then North Devon on the way home!! Saw a nice white 69 tin top at Widemouth yesterday, oh and plenty of splitty's! Are you in the area then?

Latest posts