Roxy the '71 Panel - So That's What's Wrong With the Engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.php

Lost the ability to change gears properly on my way down to the garage yesterday.

Luckily it was just the clutch cable that had come loose/stretched/whatever.

Got the van up on the ramps and scurried underneath. Pleased with how solid it still looks under there :) Lots of surface rust so need to get it treated sooner rather than later. Planning a time with the manager down there to get a full weekend on the ramps and try to get my van and a mates done.

Discovered the source of the grinding noise: lower balljoint touches the inside of the disk :evil: Wasn't obvious before but now I've driven it around there's a small groove cut in. Is that an MOT failure (the groove in the disk)?
Unfortunately I left my Haynes at home so didn't have the necessary measurements to reset the steering geometry. Hopefully sort that one time this week. Once that's all set I can finally measure up for new shocks.

The clips that hold the fuel line above the gearbox had failed so I sheathed the fuel house on the rubbing point (clutch cable conduit).

I love ramp ;)

woz said:
Love it - sounds, beer, sunset and the van still gets in the picture 8)

Sounds like you had lots of helpers and the van pulled its weight.
I love seeing my van parked outside the house. It's the cherry on top of the move to the new place :D

Myvanway said:
I know what you mean ;)

:lol: :lol:

Not much to report this week other than I have started to empty my van-crap out of my folks garage and have rehoused it at mine. I will be listing a load more stuff in the for sale section soon. Keep your eyes peeled because I'm sure there are some gems tucked away...

The daily gets attention this weekend though because of a new fault on that. Also I want to work out why it's marking its territory... My van doesn't but the Renault? Pffft.

Thought I'd write a bit of a list down of things that I want to get done, so here goes:
  1. Front suspension geometry
  2. New front shocks
  3. Weld up pinholes on new tailgate and fit (new rubbers)
  4. Weld up pinholes on new engine lid and fit (new rubbers)
  5. Few minor bodywork blisters to be investigated and sorted (sod colour matching red-oxide... maybe buy a can of L31H).
  6. New front seats (to be sourced)
  7. Freshen up steelies (including new tyres)
  8. Work out what's going on with the sliding door retainer catching.
  9. Clean any remaining underseal off chassis and repaint
  10. Replace the rusted through cable conduit underneath and remove rogue wiring
  11. Clean up and fit cooker unit (need to source some removable hinges)
  12. New carpet/vinyl flooring in the back
  13. Recover interior upholstery (Westy green plaid ain't my thing)
  14. Recover vinyl side panels (maybe just the upper half)
  15. Make door cards
  16. New carbs, sort tinware issues and all that jazz
  17. Possibly fit heat exchangers (check clearances first)
  18. Trim down moustache bar?
  19. Speedo cable circlip!
  20. Audio. Amp, sub, more speakers, replace knackered mid-range ones.
  21. Courtesy light(s) in the back
  22. ...

:shock: More than I thought.

All in one weekend George, thats a big list :)

Funny buggers :lol:

1, 8 and 19 done today!

Sorted the camber and ground a little bit off the lower trailing arms for extra clearance and this appears to have resolved the grinding noise on the passenger side (which turned out to be the ballpoint cutting a grove in the disk). Also reset the tracking as best as possible. Not bashing the servo now.

Am still able to get a little tyre squeal on full lock though where it contacts one of the beam bolts. Any ideas?

Think I now know what causes the sliding door to catch and should be an easy fix. Might try get that done tomorrow.

Okay, so didn't fit a circlip but did use some welding wire.
It is so strange having the bus tell me what speed it is going instead of relying on GPS!
Very happy that my bus will start actually recording mileage on the odometer now :mrgreen:

Unfortunately got a couple of things to add to the list (isn't that always the way):

22. Bash pan for the pedals has lived up to its name and is starting to disappear. Going to pull it off, cut, weld and reinforce it.
23. Cable conduit underneath is perishing if and needs replacing
24. New clutch cable (think this one is on its last legs and is just stretching out)

Overall a good day and the bus was such fun to drive even if it was only 8 miles... 4 of which are actually on the I odometer 8) :lol:

Gwar72 said:
:shock: Is that stock height..!!?? :lol:
:lol: Certainly the closest to stock height it's ever going to get!

junglefacejake said:
23. Cable conduit underneath is perishing and needs replacing

Already on the list, item 10
The list has got shorter without even trying :msn4:
How's life treating you and Jess? Hope the projects are going well!

gvee said:
Gwar72 said:
:shock: Is that stock height..!!?? :lol:
:lol: Certainly the closest to stock height it's ever going to get!

junglefacejake said:
23. Cable conduit underneath is perishing and needs replacing

Already on the list, item 10
The list has got shorter without even trying :msn4:
How's life treating you and Jess? Hope the projects are going well!
Good thanks George. Not done much to mine to talk about but Jess's has had a full resto and I am close to finishing the re-build. Next will be the catering fit out and the sign writing :D

Finally had a weekend off!
Packed the van up ready by 9:15am on Friday morning ready and raring to go and enjoy the sunshine in Chester for "Camperfest".

Finally left at 1:15pm :lol:

Massive thank you to Graham @ MEB for allowing me to bug him on his day off :msn4: We got the bus rolling again and it was good enough to get me there and back without too much hassle. Really not sure what is going on with my gearing at the moment but with new double-dip-for-second and occasional-praying-for-third techniques under my belt I might not have to sort anything in any great rush...

...which is a relief considering I am working the next (dear god I hope it's only 10 days) straight. Minimum. Joy.

Roll on June :|

P.S. my phone is playing silly-buggers so no pics today. Will try find time tomorrow though, to be honest, it has been nice not being able to receive any texts or emails from work :mrgreen:

Good news about the van and the weekend away 8)
Not good about the work (but it does pay for the van) ;) ;)

Got 2 days off this weekend but spent those entertaining the girlfriends mother. Actually had a great trip out on the steam train complete with fish and chips in the sunshine. Lush 8)

Did a shorter day at work today (a rarity) and the 'rents had invited us over for dinner, complete with Mama's home made coleslaw that just can't be beat - would be rude not to go! ;)

My mate Tintop had dropped off my new carbs earlier in the day, picked up from Stanford Hall, so with a new found hour or two found in the working day we set about giving the old engine a once over.

My father and I rebuilt the engine for the old bus which must have been... maybe even 2 years ago now :shock: But since it has been sat, untested and unloved in a garage we were very pleased to see it turned over by hand!

...about 270 degrees... :msn4:

So a slow teardown ensued. We wanted to do everything to avoid splitting the case. Actually, that's a bit of a lie - I was saying "bugger it, let's just crack her open" and my dad persuaded me against.

I won't bore you with the details but we eventually found the cause of the problem: the new cam, an Engle, was fouling the oil pump!

As soon as I popped the oil pump off it turned freely by hand with little effort :mrgreen:

I remember having to replace the oil pump when we built it up, partly because I cracked the old one when removing it and partly because I knew the aftermarket cam needed a different pump.

I forget where I bought it but suffice to say, despite being armed with the knowledge that I needed a pump with greater clearances, the one I fitted didn't seem to give me that.

This is where I was up to when I was called for dinner:

image.php

Not sure what to do about the pump.
Current thought is to attack the rear very carefully with a grinder to get the necessary clearance. Loathed to do it because the pump is basically brand new, but it is better than shelving out another wedge on that engine.

Anyone after an oil pump? I didn't scrimp when building that engine so know it is a good one (albeit incorrect for my set up :msn4: )

No idea when I'll next get to play with that engine because I am likely to be working next weekend as well (another lovely 12 day stint). Itching to get the bugger built up and swapped in though!

Few bits to report...

1) Tiny amount of work on the engine i.e. pushrods fitted
2) Van doesn't seem to want to start at the moment? Thought there was a slow drain on the battery so left it charging for a day: still won't fire. Now thinking I am not getting a good enough spark (plugs and/or coil).
3) Got a lovely overhead locker from a mate. Took my shelf out and went to fit it... need to cut some slots in the ply headliner (or remove half the rear section) to make it fit. Not sure if I want to do that right now.
4) Started sorting through my "van-crap" in the garage. Will be doing some sort of for sale thread soon but to be honest, if you're local and want some free/cheap bits - give me a shout.
5) May have sold my old van, very bittersweet :(
6) On the waiting list for more surgery. Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed.

Peace!

gvee said:
Few bits to report...

1) Tiny amount of work on the engine i.e. pushrods fitted
2) Van doesn't seem to want to start at the moment? Thought there was a slow drain on the battery so left it charging for a day: still won't fire. Now thinking I am not getting a good enough spark (plugs and/or coil).
3) Got a lovely overhead locker from a mate. Took my shelf out and went to fit it... need to cut some slots in the ply headliner (or remove half the rear section) to make it fit. Not sure if I want to do that right now.
4) Started sorting through my "van-crap" in the garage. Will be doing some sort of for sale thread soon but to be honest, if you're local and want some free/cheap bits - give me a shout.
5) May have sold my old van, very bittersweet :(
6) On the waiting list for more surgery. Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed.

Peace!

An interesting list and good luck with no. 6 :D

Latest posts