Roxy the '71 Panel - So That's What's Wrong With the Engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
junglefacejake said:
72 is different. It's another fantastic one year only item :roll:

I think I knew this but I must have been in denial............... :D

Less than 24 hours to go: Round Two!

I was a little tense last night so for a distraction I hand polished these..

image.php

They're imperfect; definitely a set of 20 yarders!
Still torn on the polished finish but they're not going on the bus in a hurry, so I have plenty of time to deliberate.

Some nice rubbing going on there ;-)

Regards round 2 - very good luck and will be thinking of you :D

Wow George they've come up good mate you've obviously got a better wrist action than me :lol:

Mark

Cheers chaps :)
Mark6455 said:
Wow George they've come up good mate you've obviously got a better wrist action than me :lol:

Mark
Funny bugger :lol:

I started the first one a few days ago with a polishing wheel on a drill. Was good at the grunt work but couldn't get in to the cutouts, corner or around the centre holes without tearing the wheel to pieces.
So while our lass was watching NCIS last night I decided to grab a wheel from the garage and apply some Autosol and elbow grease.
The second was done fully by hand and took around 2 episodes of her show to complete :p

Back from my op :D
Initial signs are good but won't know if it was truly successful for a couple of weeks.
Right now I just ache like a mother and will be taking it steady for a week or so

Thanks for the well wishes :D
I am feeling pretty human today, still walking a little like John Wayne (the entry points were in the groin). The bruising is pretty gnarly but I don't think you want to see the pics :lol:
The chest pains are subsiding pretty quick too. Initial signs are good!

Finished polishing the wheels and am not sure they will be staying with that finish now... Might fill, sand and paint. Have another idea up my sleeve but we will see.

Also got the bus running again. Nice and smooth, tiniest pop from exhaust gasket when I really try but overall running nice.

Wanted to make sure it was alright before I pull in and install the rebuilt one!

Swelling has almost all gone and the bruises around the entry points are getting better: more yellow than black now! Still tentative about the success but happy so far :)

Last Thursday I continued the rebuild of my old engine. Unfortunately I found some holes in my heat exchangers (post powdercoating, of course :roll: ) so I am unsure what I should do.

And on Friday I did my first ever solo engine drop!

image.php

:mrgreen:

Going to try get down to the van again tonight and spend a bit more time getting this closer to drivable again.

Don't you hate it when you pull your engine out and end up like this...

image.php

image.php

:msn4:

Here's the reason why though:

image.php

image.php

My tailgate is shot and has been leaking in a wee bit over a fair bit of time. Replacement sourced, just needs a little bit of a skim and paint.

About half a dozen pin holes that need attention... here's the largest. Not too bad, all things considered.

image.php

Found I have a very basic fuel sender access hole... should I do something to seal it up a bit better?

image.php

The black paint is pretty much where the surface rust stops. However the insulation that was down had retained a bit of water so had to strip that off to make sure what was underneath really was good.

To do this I had to pull the Westy bed out (and can now finally get the side panels recovered) as it was fastened underneath.

One step forward and all that :roll:

Also pulled the firewall off to check everything underneath. Pleasantly surprised, so just a repaint of the firewall (it was red and is now a darkish grey... ran out of the lighter shade) and re-install.

Then strip and paint above the gearbox and along the chassis legs a bit followed by installing the leccy fuel pump, pipework and am in the middle of re-jigging the wiring.

Sorry for the potato quality photo but it was late and dark by the time I gave up this evening.

image.php

Busy, busy, busy... :mrgreen:

Glad you are not having too much to fix with the interior body work :)

Looking forward to seeing the end results.

Cheers Andy :D

Just received an email to say that my relay holder has [finally] been despatched. Shouldn't have bothered trying to save a couple of quid the ebay way and gone straight to AutoSparks whose service I can't fault!

Fettled the read bumper a little bit last night. There's a single dent on the lower edge I want to knock out and then a strip and paint of the inside.
Also spent a little time on the new engine lid. It has awesome patina so I am loathed to paint over it in red oxide, so have rubbed back anywhere that's showing signs of rust, just not sure what to paint it with?

Hopefully get the electrics all sorted on Saturday and finish the engine build (need to borrow a clutch alignment tool from a mate, among other things). Weather [and a lot of luck] permitting we might get it purring by the end of the weekend 8)

Latest posts