Roxy the '71 Panel - So That's What's Wrong With the Engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wheels might be up for sale soon then, even though I'm loathed to do so! :oops:
I'm sure the dude I bought them off had a bus as low as mine - will have to do some more researching...

Glad ya finally sorted dude ..

Giz a shout when ya next over this way.

Are you going to field of dreams in Sept?

I'll be there all weekend and band us headlining on Saturday..

Great show last year!

Hilly

Hilly_70 said:
Glad ya finally sorted dude ..

Giz a shout when ya next over this way.

Are you going to field of dreams in Sept?

I'll be there all weekend and band us headlining on Saturday..

Great show last year!

Hilly
I'll have to cruise over your way some time soon and we can take the buses out for a spin together!
I hadn't planned on going, but that's mostly because I don't plan anything :lol: I looked at your live dates on the website but couldn't make any of the ones in the next month or two - will be keeping an eye out mind! Don't you ever play nearer my neck of the woods? :p

MOT tomorrow!
Just have to sort out a blocked washer jet tonight and then keep my fingers crossed :msn4:

Almost...

Beam pattern on the offside headlamp is the only failure... So guess which pillock fitted the lens the wrong way up when fitting the grilles... :oops:

I will be going down first thing tomorrow morning to fix the issue and chuck it back on the ramp for a pass!

The MOT man was very complimentary about the condition of Roxy too, which is always nice :D

Obligatory photo of the pass certificate tomorrow

Thats a result George - Murphy has his mot next month!
My least favourite time of the year!

Cycled down to the test station first thing and sorted the headlamps. Home by 9am with this

DSC_0001_zpst84imtgx.jpg

:D :D :D

gvee said:
Cycled down to the test station first thing and sorted the headlamps. Home by 9am with this

DSC_0001_zpst84imtgx.jpg

:D :D :D

Good result mate 8) When are you fitting that new exhaust then? You''ll have to let me know if it makes any difference

Hopefully fit it on Wednesday night... Should improve things, but that's mostly because I have an air leak somewhere! :lol:

The one thing the bus failed on during the MOT was the headlight beam pattern. After fettling it until the inspector was happy we got the clean bill of health but with a suggestion that I might buy some new headlights.

So that's what I did today! It took a few trips to get bits as I was hoping to save a few quid and go with later style ones or replace components but it wasn't going to work so I bit the bullet and bought some shiny, new, Hella units!

Here's the patient during the experimentation:

DSC_0018_zpsp7exxpyb.jpg

Have taken lots more photos of the process but photobucket is being crap so it will have to wait.

Ok, so as promised here's a bit of a write up on my headlamp install.

So it turns out that early UK buses can only really take the original style 3 screw headlamps. US imports might be lucky enough to get later units as I believe they have the extra tabs in the headlamp bowls on the body.

If in doubt, pop your headlamp [rim] off and take a look.

Just the one, lonely mounting tab!

DSC_0019_zpsrrki5vy4.jpg

Yeah, I know I need to sort the surface rust at some point :msn4:

Old vs New

DSC_0021_zpstkhpr2g3.jpg

Note the different alignment of the screw holes! I think that the units are the same as those used on some bugs and the lenses are set ready for them, which isn't right for a bay, so some disassembly and reassembly is required.

Jumping forward a bit... here's a comparison of the screw holes between the first new one I installed after sorting vs the one straight from the box

DSC_0026_zpsyta4er4k.jpg

So, taking them apart to rotate the lens is a pretty easy task. First you need to flip the unit over and inspect the back. The rim is secured to the unit by some metal clips. There should be 4 per headlamp, although one of the two I bought only had 2 attached (the other two were loose in the bottom of the box).

You also need to pop the little adjuster screw tabs from their rubber mountings.

DSC_0027_zps4tlpse4x.jpg

Once the clips are off the unit should come apart. Be careful at this stage as the rim, lens, mounting ring and reflector are all separate pieces!

DSC_0031_zpswhfk6qqo.jpg

Now it is time to align the lens.

DSC_0032_zpsjnksj4jy.jpg

My lenses had a handy little mark on the outside edge to aide in lining things up correctly:

DSC_0035_zpsbztyeyox.jpg

This wants to align with the mounting screw hole

DSC_0037_zpsspykl74w.jpg

Re-assembly is then just a case of popping the adjustment screw tangs back in the dubber mounts and popping the 4 clips back on.

Pro tip: the clips can be a pain in the proverbial to do by hand. I found that grabbing them in a pair of needle nose pliers made the job a doddle!

The whole process from start to finish took me less than a couple of hours and the end result is rather fetching 8)

DSC_0044_4_zpsxh8iczlk.jpg

Oh, and this is what I did last night ;)

DSC_0089_zps7hghr9io.jpg

Getting the valance out without taking off the bumper was tight, but doable!

DSC_0091_zpsdpb61ajn.jpg

DSC_0092_zpsxqlyr7m2.jpg

DSC_0094_zps1yaobrsb.jpg

Yum 8) 8) 8)

Am going to reset the timing tonight, fit the heater tubes and take it for a spin. Then I have to pack the bus up as I am leaving for Bristol Volksfest straight from work on Thursday!

I hear that there might be a sweepstake for when I might make it - cheeky f**kers! :roll:

Place your bets now :lol:

Nice tailpipe ;) :cooter:

Good explanation with the lights too, I think I will need to refer to that at some point.. :shadey:

cunning plan said:
Nice tailpipe ;) :cooter:

Good explanation with the lights too, I think I will need to refer to that at some point.. :shadey:
The headlights aren't too difficult to be honest but they are a bit fiddly. The mole grips are definitely the key!

As always, feel free to message me if needed :)

junglefacejake said:
Coming on nicely George. You were definitely the "right person" to take the baton. Keep up the great work ;)
Aww shucks :oops: :oops: :oops:
Cheers dude.

Another amazing weekend at Bristol Volksfest! The show gets better and better and better with each passing year :D

The van was faultless there and back, and was even used as a work horse during some of the show tear down (I'm gutted I didn't take a photo of when it was completely rammed full of audio equipment!)... 450 miles over a long weekend :mrgreen:

11427178_982621178448798_6926033333744731715_n_zps42eopwah.jpg

Because I helped with the tear down I was still there on Monday morning, which gave me a cheeky opportunity to take some quick snaps of the van in the Upfest barn :msn4:

DSC_0049_zps7wlysqii.jpg

IMG_20150622_191601_zpshquu1dcm.jpg

Happy days 8) 8) 8) 8)

Latest posts