Roxy the '71 Panel - So That's What's Wrong With the Engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one GeorgieBoy

Pleased your now getting some happy trips in your bus, pictures with the graffiti looks awesome 8)

I received a l strange text this morning from my father wishing me a Happy Anniversary.

Strange - this date didn't mean anything to me - so I had to reply asking what on earth he was on about.

Apparently 12 months ago today was the last time my Roxy broke down! WOWW!

:D :mrgreen: 8) :D :mrgreen: 8) :D :mrgreen: 8) :D :mrgreen: 8) :D :mrgreen: 8) :D :mrgreen: 8)

Aren't dads awesome ! The fact he thought of that shows how close and good your relationship is. #dadsruel

He's pretty decent, my old man :mrgreen:

Have neglected the bus recently due to a distinct lack of time and a bout of serious manflu that stole a weekend away from me.

But I dropped my bus off down at my folks a couple of nights ago and visited it yesterday to give it an overdue service

DSC_0012_zpsuytdu2fu.jpg

I took it to theirs because the only bit of my drive that's sensible for jacking the van up on would block in my daily, and I knew I couldn't get everything done in one evening :msn4:

So last night I:
  • Dropped the oil
  • Reset the tappets (using my new ClickAdjust tool!)
  • Pulled the plugs, cleaned them up and reset the gaps
  • Checked the fuel lines are still in good shape
  • Worked out where to mount my new fuel regulator (I'm slightly overfuelling)
I think all I have left on the service is to put some fresh 20/50 in and get it booked in for a rolling road session 8)

Couldn't resist a cheeky photo between tappets last night...

DSC_0015_zps7dszbikr.jpg

Good work, it's good to see a little self work.
What's the click adjust tool?
What wheels you running?
Cheers Nige..

Hey Nige,

Here's a link to the Click-Adjust tool: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/gunson-g4094-clikadjust-tappet-adjuster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The idea is that it makes doing tappets a bit easier (as you don't need 3 hands!) and quicker. It took some getting used to and I still double checked all the gaps after setting them but overall it did make the process less painful (did I mention that I hate adjusting the tappets)!

The wheels are 15" Merc steels, powder-coated in (satin?) black.

Cheers,
George

Hey Nige,

The rear wheels have a pretty much stock radius so gearing is unaffected. Fronts are lower profile for clearance.

I did manage to finish the service off in the early hours of Sunday (before it pissed it down!) but didn't have enough time to fit the regulator. Took it for a quick spin to get it up to temperature and it doesn't appear to be leaking, which is always a good sign! :msn4:

I really need to find some time this weekend to install the regulator as this is the last thing I need to do before booking it for a rolling road session.

Roxy is sadly being neglected at the moment - I don't think she moved for the whole of August :(

Life is just a little bit busy at the moment so van stuff has taken a back seat.

I still need to fit the fuel pressure regulator and get it in for a proper tune up.

Running out of time before we make the epic trip to Oktoberfest and I certainly don't want a repeat performance of the last time we made that journey :msn4:

So in amongst all the chaos up here, someone drove in to the side of my parked daily. Joy! Luckily the accident was attended by the police so the details of everyone involved was obtained.

DSC_0014_zpsg6dyhxmr.jpg

2 cars collided and mine caught in the crossfire. Luckily no one was hurt because from what I can tell it was a pretty serious smash!

This gave me the opportunity to shop around for something new.

Me and the Mrs couldn't agree on what to get until a friend of mine posted on Faceache about selling one of his fleet.

Annoyingly they are fixing my daily rather than writing it off, so I will be selling that when I get it back to try fill in the hole in the house deposit I was saving that I spent on the new daily ;)

Sadly the bus is still being neglected but at least it has a new friend!

DSC_0049_zpsqv09ps5s.jpg

309 trouble free miles yesterday down to Devon for Oktoberfest! Took us 7 hours including 3 stops. Not bad, all things considered 8)

Sparky... We beat you to a show! :lol:

The sunset on the drive yesterday was epic. Sadly these photos don't do it justice, but hey, you can never post too many photos here, right?

DSC_0059_6_zpspep7tdra.jpg

DSC_0057_72_zps4msiundb.jpg

We will go set up camp properly later today after we have done a bit of work.

Great result on all the work you have carried out on the engine :) 8) :mrgreen:

Enjoy and report back soon!

It's been a while, eh!

The bus has been a bit neglected since returning from Oktoberfest. In fact, it didn't move until yesterday when it did its job wonderfully!

DSC_0033_zpsdlurlcxl.jpg

Helped my brother move in to his new place :)

It was still running a little off and when you killed the engine it was like a shotgun going off! :oops:

Lucky that Motoscope were only a couple of miles down the road from his new gaff, so I dropped it off with them for a good seeing to (tappets, carb rebuild, rolling road, vroom!) and pick it up this weekend.

DSC_0037_zpsfg0usjnv.jpg

Roxy deserved a treat after all ;)

Latest posts