Running alternator wire to the starter rather than the battery

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moseley

Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm in the process of re-wiring the camper, and wondered if anyone with a bit more electrical knowledge than me could offer some advice! When running the alternator output wire (6.0mm2 red), the wiring diagram suggests to feed direct to the battery. Is there any reason why it couldn't be run directly to pin 30 on the starter as this is obviously still feeding the battery, it's just a slightly longer cable run?

The reason I ask is because in the past I've had a problem whereby I needed the engine running with the battery disconnected and also had the battery positive terminal work loose. In both of these instances, the engine cuts out as soon as the positive terminal is removed. If the alt feed went to the starter, the alt would at least keep the engine running if there was a problem.

I'm not sure if there is some safety reason for this, but I can't think of anything myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No problems with that at all, in fact on later bays they did exactly this :-D

Oh- but regarding the second part of your post, you should never run the engine without a battery attached when you have an alternator, it kills them. Only way to do it is to use a big variable resistor to replace the battery resistance before you take the battery off.

Awesome. Learnt something today - so an alternator needs to be supplying current to something that will provide some resistance then? I think the only time I've needed to run without a battery was to start it off another battery in the absence of some big enough jump leads, and then swapped it with the flat one before going for a long drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts