Rust removal tip needed...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcfmonkey

Reaction score
I have been using a wire wheel on a drill to remove paint and rust from some bits. As you can see in the photo it does an ok job but there is still an uneven surface due to the old rust. I know I could just treat the rust and paint it but what would be a better method to get a better finish?
Cheers
Monkey

I'd get it sand blasted and plastic coated.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yep, electrolysis, and / or Grit-blasting will shift it. Blast and powder coat is pretty cheap all told.

Electrolysis, vinegar, coke, molasses and the blood of everyone that bullied you in school all pretty much do the same thing, personally I prefer electrolysis, no smell, no stickiness, added bubbles for fun.
Obviously the issue is that when rust forms, it forms out of metal, leaving the pitting. Since this is a non-visual/structural part I'd just be cleaning it all up, and chucking some hardy paint on it, but most people aren't as slapdash as I am.
Your options for creating a level, smooth surface are to either remove good bits or add to bad bits. In this instance I'd favour the latter, add some filler or stopper (since the pits are so small) to bring the surface up. Alternatively sand the existing metal back to a good surface- but that's a real pain and you'll get very close to going through the metal accidentally.
Fill it and paint it bud.

Oh- one more thing. Drills aren't well suited to side loads, you'll break the bearings eventually. An angle grinder (£20) with a knotted cup brush is the way to go ;-) Just don't wear gloves, you'll pull your hands off.

Latest posts