Scat bottom pulley Problem!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwwinston72

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just changed from a standard pulley to a scat bottom pulley with the degrees marked on, for some reason its hitting the tinwear just in a few places on the way round and making a horrible noise!!

Are you supposed to space the pulley off the tinwear - or is it possible to do this?

All responses appreciated!!

cheers!

balls!

anyone else had this problem? got any other ideas?

cheers for the response mate!

tweak the tinware. spacers are avalible for the fan pulley if needed to bring the belts into line. i remember problems with spacers on the bottom pulley as it affects the oil throw out on that the bottom pully also adds.

think i have spacers for the top pulley if u need them

thanks for the responses i'll try and tweak the tinwear in that case,

cheers for the offer of the spacers but i'm pretty sure i have some for the top pulley,

Thanks again!

Hi I had same prob with my scat pulley all I did was undo the
tinware bolts/screws and wiggled it around pushing it towards the engine while tightening bolts back up it gave that extra mm space and stopped the rubbing! :)

I think the old scat pulleys had a slight raised 1.5mm or so lip both sides of the pulley. I had a newer one (bought about 5 years ago) fitted and it didn't have this lip, so it pulled closer to the block. This was kept and used when i had a new engine built.

All good for a while but over time my engine developed this 'ticking' noise, especially at low revs. It was found that due to this lack of 'lip' the pulley loosened very slightly and had caused a very slight movement on the woodruff key, hence the noise. Pulley chucked in the bin, older model with lip found by builder and used. No problems found. No damage done but i was worried for a while and it would only have got worse.

So keep an eye on these pulleys without the raised lip. I think the fact the lip was not there, whilst it seemed to tighten up, it wasn't quite 'proper' tight if you know what i mean.

Al

Latest posts