Shit happened

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So time for an update after quite a while.

This is how the bus is looking at the moment:

Front end is painted and mostly put together,

DSC07157.jpg

frontbumper is resprayed and recieved a little extra bling

DSC07159.jpg

and all the electrics are back in and working as it should

DSC07160.jpg

Now I hope to get it finished soon as I want to use it again after more than one year of the road.
Interior, engine, narrowed beam and 944 T brakes are planned for the wintermonths.

the only way to fix them is bring them back better than they were before they got broke. this is the second bus on here that i have seen come back from a potentially ending front ender. looks cool and the gang mate youve gotta be happy with that

This a very impressive rebuild after what the bus was like at the start 8)

It's been a while but the bus is rolling again for some time. This is how it looks now.

DSC09676.jpg

DSC09626.jpg

DSC09620.jpg

The beelte next to my bus is my other project, but if you want to know more about it, you will have to follow this tread
http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,14267.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also bought a pair of disc brakes for the rear. It appears to be some kind of Citroen set up (with parking brake) allready adapted for a Beelte on Porsche PCD.
So the fit to my bus will be preety straightforward. I allready have some T2b rear hubs machined down to fit the rotors to my bus.

DSC09497.jpg

DSC09498.jpg

And today the postman delivered me this:

DSC09934.jpg

DSC09939.jpg

Indeed a nice pair of Transportershaus flipped spindles (thanks Alex for the services). I know I welded a pair of dropped spindles myself but I do have a more confident feeling about these ones (especially if I want to take my to precious kids for a ride).

And thing will not stop here:
By the end of the month, a new interior for the bus will be delivered and a pair of Flat 4 Fuchs wheels need to be detailled to find their home on the bus.
But I'll keep you all updated.

Nice work mate glad to see it back on the road , will she be at Ninove ??

Wow :shock:

And love your new bits - disc brakes on the rear - nice :D

GAS-bus said:
During the weekend, a good friend delivered me this book.
It 's the original repair book from VW with all the measurements you'll ever need when repairing an old VW.

Now I can check all the measurements before taking out the old nose...

DSC01552.jpg

DSC01553.jpg

DSC01554.jpg

Very handy me thinks...
I think it would be helpful to all of us if a moderator could scan this in and make it a sticky in the Tech section!!!

Time for an update:
today I mounted the transporterhaus dropped spindles. This was pretty straightforward.
I also took the time to testfit my 944 diskbrakes and Fuchs Wheels.

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

The stance you see here is with the adjuster in the beam set at the middle.
I measured how much I will have to narrow to beam, taking into account the 7mm spacer I had to use to get the wheels turning with the big 944 turbo calipers.

As I don't have the plates to mount the calipers, I fitted the drums en OG wheels again. The get my bus roling, I had the set the adjusters almost at it's highest setting. The stance loosk like this now;

DSC00044.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

Pretty pleased, but things will look better with the Fuchs fitted. But now I'm in doubt whether to detail them or not. Please feel free to share your opinion.

Greetz
Wim

Nice Wim, looking good.
I alway’s love detailed fuchs the classic combo 8), but polished will give it a bling look and will be a nice combo with the deluxe parts ;)

Keep up the good work, greeting mycha
(this year not at Ninove :oops: skiing-trip)

Nice work Wim!

Not so sure about the fuchs since you see them everywhere (even on my own car! :mrgreen: ) but I say if you go with fuch go with detailed ones! I think they look a bit dull when fully polished...

Time for another update:
last week, I've been busy with getting the adoptors made to mount the calipers front and rear.
Designed and made the bracket for the rear calipers with emergency brake, fabricated the cables and mocked everything up.

DSC00599.jpg

DSC00602.jpg

I have plenty of room with the wheels on.

DSC00605.jpg

Since I've bought some adjustable springplates from Slamwerks at the VoWo show, I was able to adjust the ride height a little. Downside: now I've to notch to get some sort of comfort.

DSC00606.jpg

Next on is getting everything cleaned up and painted.
The front wheels are shod with some slam tires, so the frontbeam is going to get narrowed and rideheight adjusted.
This is how the bus sits at the moment:

DSC00606.jpg

DSC00580.jpg

DSC00587.jpg

DSC00579.jpg

DSC00589.jpg

Have to admid that I love the camber of the rearwheels...

Looking good dude 8)

Have you got a picture of the plate before it is fitted to the hub?

So, the bus made it's first big trip after all the mods I've done.
Must say I'm really pleased with how it drives.
This is how she looks right now.

DSC00921.jpg

DSC00920.jpg

DSC00916.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

DSC00927.jpg

Greetz
Wim

Latest posts