Shit happened

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
feel for ya dude, got my bus smashe up two years ago. I ended up repairing my self after sending it to a supposed restorer. nice feeling when its back together and you know everything is good!!!!

Awesome bus!!!!! good luck with all the hard work!!!!

Woody

Like the brace you have put together - looks like it will help when you are trying to line up the new clip :D

Progress on the bus is a little on the slow side due to other jobs i've done.
Last week I dropped a T2B single cab but because it's a late bay I won't bother you with pictures.

After that little job, I got on with the repair of my bus.
I managed to get the floor of the donor front out in one piece. I took a lot of drilling but I got it done in the end.

DSC01529.jpg

DSC01530.jpg

DSC01531.jpg

DSC01532.jpg

DSC01533.jpg

DSC01534.jpg

DSC01536.jpg

So the donor front end looks a little like this now. If I can help someone out with some good original chassislegs, let me know, I have some spare laying around now.

DSC01538.jpg

Next on is the remove the donor frontpanel...

Some small jobs I did the last past days.

Gave the dash top a fresh layer of paint.

DSC01548.jpg

Cleaned the dash a little. California busses seem to gather quite some dust.

DSC01549.jpg

Took this apart and gave some parts some fresh paint and gave it a good clean. Looks quite good now.

DSC01551.jpg

During the weekend, a good friend delivered me this book.
It 's the original repair book from VW with all the measurements you'll ever need when repairing an old VW.

Now I can check all the measurements before taking out the old nose...

DSC01552.jpg

DSC01553.jpg

DSC01554.jpg

Very handy me thinks...

GAS-bus said:
It 's the original repair book from VW with all the measurements you'll ever need when repairing an old VW.

DSC01552.jpg

DSC01553.jpg

DSC01554.jpg

Very handy me thinks...

what a find very very useful...is it for sale?

hey still interested in the dropped spindles pics when u get a mo.........

dubdubz said:
GAS-bus said:

DSC01552.jpg

DSC01553.jpg

DSC01554.jpg

Very handy me thinks...

what a find very very useful...is it for sale?

hey still interested in the dropped spindles pics when u get a mo.........

Haven't forgot about the pictures, I'll take some when I take the brake off again.

And no, the book isn't for sale, sorry...

I did some more work on the bus today.

Got myself together and started to take out the old frontpanel.

DSC01557.jpg

Now the bus looks a little like this.

DSC01559.jpg

After that, I cleaned up the chassislegs a little and gave them a coat with zinc-primer.

DSC01560.jpg

DSC01561.jpg

As I had a week vacation, I found some time to do some things on the bus.

Now the A-posts are out and the doglegs are cleaned up.

DSC01602.jpg

DSC01605.jpg

DSC01608.jpg

DSC01609.jpg

DSC01619.jpg

DSC01620.jpg

DSC01624.jpg

As you can see, the inside of the lefthand dogleg still has a little dent allthough the dogleg has been pulled out allready. Guess I'll have to use some parts of the dogleg of the donornose.

Next on was the removal of the chassislegs of the donornose. Some new parts are allready welded in where the chassislegs will meet the frontpanel.

DSC01621.jpg

DSC01622.jpg

DSC01623.jpg

I couldn't finish off the welding as I'm out of gas now.

Nice to see this getting closer to repaired dude , Love your bus , keep us posted with progress 8)

:( Not cool man, but if it's any consolation i've seen alot worse ;)

Today, I found some time to do some things on the bus.

I took out the beam and mounted some new sideplates and the parts of an old beam I've cut up some time ago. The plan is to make myself a narrowed beam using some sideplates I've bought some time ago.

DSC01625.jpg

DSC01626.jpg

Together with my homemade dropped spindles, I will have a nice slammed and narrowed ride.
While the beam was out, I started to clean up the wheeltubs. They came out pretty clean.

DSC01627.jpg

DSC01628.jpg

DSC01629.jpg

Just one small patch to weld in, primer the whole thing and give a coat of fresh montana red paint and things will look as good as new.

GAS-bus said:
Just one small patch to weld in, primer the whole thing and give a coat of fresh montana red paint and things will look as good as new.

Do more than just primer - try POR15, then primer and montana followed by clear waxoyl - protect it for at least another 30 plus years..... (or ignore me :shock: )

Your bus is looking good, after the little bump......

Brought back memories for me, My mate Nick and I were on the way to Bustypes show in Oswestry about 3 years back we left his house just after he finished tarting up his bus for the show and shine. We left on time with my missus and I following Nick his missus and their new born daughter Mia, her first outing in the bus....It was only 5 minutes on the coldra roundabout M4 J24 and I had some T**T trying to cut me up so I was shouting at him on my left being a LHD bus this was easy however unknown to me Nick in front stopped and I never.....whallop, that was a costly weekend, luckily my bus was standard height and missed his chromed original rear bumper and wiped out the tailgate and rear corner....oops :oops:

I'm not aloud, to this day, to follow him anywhere.... :lol:

We still laugh about it now, so long as everyones OK at the time everything else can be fixed....Keep up the good work.

Ben

Latest posts