Should I go stock on this? - Wheels

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghop99

Reaction score
Hi All

I am unsure what to do with my wheel and tyre set up and have been pondering it for a while.

I have this at the moment and it sits quite nicely with not too much of a ride compromise, but reckon a more stock set up with shiney hubs, regular tyres and maye even a thin white wall would look better.

What do you lot think? Would I have rubbing issues? Does anyone know how to draw them on to see what it would look like? Maybe someone has some to get rid of? How much would a set up cost? I am sure people must do this all the time

Thanks for your help

DSC02601.jpg

I cant say I'm overly keen on those wheels, are they 15"?

Standard is always nice, in your case, painted white with chrome hubcaps would look cool.

although its your van, do what you think looks best.

AxlFoley said:
I cant say I'm overly keen on those wheels, are they 15"?

Standard is always nice, in your case, painted white with chrome hubcaps would look cool.

although its your van, do what you think looks best.

Thanks Axl, yes they are 15"s. I think white would look good also

what size tyre are you running on the back, it looks a bit low profile for 15" which is not good for your engine or performance.

Mark

AxlFoley said:
what size tyre are you running on the back, it looks a bit low profile for 15" which is not good for your engine or performance.

Mark

Not sure at the moment as its in the workshop (and out of the rain!) What would be the potential issues here?

Are they Porsche Design 90s? If so are you running adaptors? If not then you will need to change your hubs to fit standard VW wheels back on.
Looks a nice bus mate, lots of wheel options but those your running at the moment dont suit the van in my opinion. Your ride though mate.

I'm normally a great fan of stock but in this case I'm going to buck the trend because I do rather like those wheels. They are good looking and unusual - I haven't seen them before.
:)
I think the reason for some not liking them is because the vehicle is very stock basic looking so they stand out more, they might blend in better with a bright/non stock colour and/or some deluxe trim, so they are no longer the only bling on the bus.

I dont think theya re Design 90's they look more like a standard Mercedies wheel.

The issue with the incorrect tyre size, can cause all manner of problems, the main on bing that to get your van up to crusing speed, your engine has to work harder, I learnt this the hard way when i was younger in my 1303, I ended up cracking my heads due to over revving the engine to get it to a decent speed.

Try and get the tyre size and we can have a look at any possible issues.

Mark

have to agree about the concensus, stock steelies nicely painted maybe with whitebands would look so much better. The merc style rims look very 80s sorry :oops:

Ive seen some of those rims painted satin black with polished outer rim and they look ok, i think its the silver that makes them look dated.

Yep, they are Merc wheels and very 80's. I nearly went with a hot pink and fluro yellow line down the bus with a retro surfboard on the roof........now there is a thought!

Then again, where do I get a stock set up then? JK or other? Are some are better quality than others? Do I buy white walls or get Mr Whitewalls to paint on?

If I do this I will re post these wheels for sale in the correct section.

Thanks for your help so far!

clyde said:
Ive seen some of those rims painted satin black with polished outer rim and they look ok, i think its the silver that makes them look dated.

My thoughts exactly! 8)

But you can't go wrong with stockers too. 8)

Not much of a help, is it? :oops:

I would just look around the forums, there always 14" stock steels for sale. Or you could go for the 15" split steels again look around ssvc etc. Them get them blasted and powder coasted (if they need it) I would get Mr Whitewalls to do them. As i found it hard to buy whitewall tyres when I was looking.

clyde said:

AGREED

being Merc rims your on narrow 5by112 PCD and i think steels on this pcd just don't look as cool as the wide 5 ones, I think you should stick with those rims, not many people run them and will make your bus stand out from the crowd.

I agree with what most people have said you DO need some bigger rubber on the rears, it will help you gain cruising speed in your van and bring the revs down, it will make long/ motorway journey's a lot easier.

But it's your van and your choice, if we all had identical tastes and vans the world would be a boring place!

Airtime said:
There are 5x112 steels that look the dogs (imho), the 15x7j Go Westy steels:

3626990277_fa570c48f5.jpg

3628222962_42a33ea203.jpg

8)

I stand corrected :lol:

But 15x7j Steels are not stock ;)

They are great, what are they off, they seem to have a great offset for a van too :D

Not into black at all, sorry guys.

And it has to be narrow 5's

I do like the 15" westy wheels, very nice, and unfortunately in the US........postage will sting!

Anymore 14 or 15 shiney hubbed examples in white out there?

Thanks again

Latest posts