Show Season - What spares should be essential to carry??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i keep.

all the spare cables (accel etc)
gaffer tape / elec tape
rotor arm
various nuts and bolts, plus an array of self tapping screws.
stanley knife
spanner set

and AA card! :wink:

and more tools than you can shake a stick at. always need the one i didnt bring though! :cry:

just need to get a hub nut spanner for this years travels and I will be sorted.

Oo yea i always carry cable ties. well handy, bag of 100 odd from b&q is pence 8)

Points and condensor if you run stock ignition :)

Cables (acc etc)

I carry spare bulbs, spark plugs, coil, dizzy cap too.

A couple of years ago I pulled over on the way to Peppercorn - van on the M20. 'Got any oil?' the guy said - well, I do carry oil now but had just put my last drop in before starting out!

On the way to the Breeze in 2005 a van had had a fire by the side of the M20 - broken fanbelt caused it, not too much damage. Did I have one? I do now!

Spare fuses too?

Not sure why I stop, I couldn't sort much out as I'm too happy to pay my mate James to work on the van. Moral support I guess?

first thing I make sure I have is the fire extinguisher, thats my no 1 and on a couple of occasions when i havnt had one ive stopped and bought a few bottles of water! paranoid maybe, but id hate to have a full on fire! i had a close scare once and didnt have anything to put it out with, ended up ripping the screen wash bottle from the front dash out and using that.

I always have a very simple bulb type tester for electrics, nothing fancy, its just one of those screwdriver type with a bit of lead and a small crocadile clip on the other end.
I like to take a lot of spares, sods law when you dont you end up needing them!
In the uk I relied on the AA, here in sweden there isnt a breakdown service as such and so I carry more parts.
dizzy cap, points and condensor, fuses, bulbs, fanbelt, sometimes spare cables,can of petrol
jack, extendable wheel nut bar(much better the the 4 way thingys) screwdrivers, adjustable spanner (dont like em but they have there place and in ya tool kit is the place) spanners and bit of wet and dry or sand paper, cable ties, spark plug, jump leads and tow rope and here in sweden you must have a warning triangle which isnt a bad idea especially when you get an off side flat on a busy road! There is talk of flourecent vests becoming compulsary here in the too!

I've just started to put a small list of these things together...

Points n' Condenser, in case the 'leccy ignition fails.
Fan belt & shims
Oil, a jug and funnel.
A spare H4, side light, indicator, fog lamp, brake bulbs
A spare set of fuses.
A length of fuel hose and some fuel clips
An assortment of cable ties
Feeler gauges
a small set of combination spanners 8, 10, 13, 15, 17, 19mm
a universal screwdriver set
a plug spanner
pliers
a tyre pressure gauge
telescopic wheel brace
a jack
a 3/8 ratchet and a 10, 13, 15, 17, 19mm sockets
wd40
a fire extinguisher and fire blanket.
a small 12v compressor
a 4.5 gallon Jerry can on the roof (that is for looks too)
a 2l bottle of water, to keep us alive if we break down and to fill the washers.

I like to be prepared.

I never leave home with out my auto club membership and mobile phone.
On my recent cross country adventure I went all coservative and had a set of rocker cover gaskets, 2 fan belts, clutch and accelerator cables. I've got a little trolley jack stashed in the back too. All of those bits were excess to requirements. Still in their packets, maybe I'll put em up on ebay.

also never forget a lighter :wink:

Thats where you have a roof rack and strap her to it, and if you value her get some bubble wrap :lol:

Justin & Mutley said:
Torch?
Food?
Drink?
Tools?
Spares?
Faith in your bus?

Take everything - it'll never be enough, though!

;)

That's why I take the absolute minimum. I'm never going to have the right gear in a crisis. So I don't fret about it. I do pay good $$$ to a very reliable mechanic though. I have a lot of faith in his work.
My main reason is that when I really need the bus to be reliable is when I am on a weekend away or an interstate trip.
I value holiday time at about 5 times working week time.
Sitting waiting for the tow truck is going to put a real bad cloud on the event for sure. I also realise I might spend a bit more on my bus than some others but what I lack in mechanical ability I can compensate for with cash.
Sorry to waffle on but I got on a bit of a roll there.
David

Can't argue with that, David - we all value leisure time more!
At least with a camper you can have a drink/food/rest while you wait - and you're more likely to have a helpful/skilled like-minded VW fan stop for you than if you were broken down in a Ford/Citroen/Vauxhall (Holden in your case!)...

;)

Yep, campers are the best, after panels and twin cabs of course.
On my first big cruise, one of the buses gave up the ghost (59 splitty), there was 10 or 11 of us in convoy. There was about 6 expert blokes and a couple of the girls as well all with their heads in the the engine bay at one point or other,.
Meanwhile the bus in front of me was a 73 Westy and we made sandwiches for the whole team.
I had some beers in my bus so we catered the lunch. Team Kombi was up and at it.
The splitty had something wrong with the fuel pump, and some one else had one to sell at the swap meet when we got there. After lunch the boys and girls installed it and off we went.
It was a drive from Melbourne to Sydney and that was the only hiccup for the entire fleet.
Not bad 12 x 850kms is a good amount of kombi kilometers.

Latest posts