Skateboard anyone?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, old skateboarder here as well although these days I prefer the smooth ride of a good longboard, currently have 3 or 4 sat in the garage with various wheels/truck combinations etc, don;t use them enough really but as a 46 year old it hurts when you come off and takes longer to recover.

(I snapped one of my longboards out in ireland last year and did my knee in for about 3 months, boy did that hurt)

Love BMX's as well at the the SSVC swapmeet at the Ace Cafe picked up a cool BMX, last of the line of proper Haro's with all the original bits on it and one owner for 10 years, its immaculate and I'll be riding at the shows this year.

*Remember old skateboarders never die they just lose their bearings*

It must run in the family as Cal my eldest (19) is a hardcore skateboarder and dirt jumper, when at home he teaches Skateboard & BMX skills at epic skatepark in Birmingham (now called creation), he is bloody mad on a board or bike

For those into skateboarding and BMX you should try Gravity Biking, basically BMX's with no pedals and you push start down a hill up to a line and then its about drafting etc, my 2 eldest below did an event at Cadwell last year, the speedo we fitted to the bike registered max speeds of just over 40mph :roll: :roll:

Thought it might interest some of you, the big event is at Eastbourne where they close off the Road at Beachy Head but it clashed with Vanfest last year :cry: , they also do stand up skateboard downhill & street luge, good weekend and I'm sure it will be on in 2009 its just when.

hank-lads-gb.jpg

lads-gb.jpg

pack1.jpg

windsurfer said:
Dude, I'm only 33 but of course I know the names. Tony Alva was a god and I grew up wanting to be part of the Bones Brigade. I remember all the old Videos, Animal Chin, Natas, H street etc. I started skating in about 85 but watched a lot of the old movies, going down hills with hand slides, through cones and sick bowl jumps. Skatings changed so much to a certain extent (technically) but if you watch a video from 88/89 (e.g. Hocus Pocus), these guys were super good.

I had Gordon and Smith trucks (I think) before I went onto Independent.

Like I said earlier in my thread, my Bus will be THE Skate Bus!. :mrgreen:

Check out the Vision Street Wear Hi-Tops. I loved those boots, think you can get re-pros.

Scan13.jpg

Come on people, I WANT TO SEE SOME OF YOUR PICTURES!

Those hi-tops rocked :).... i had a few pairs of early airwalk hitops, remember the black and green ones with lace protectors, cool as

It must run in the family as Cal my eldest (19) is a hardcore skateboarder and dirt jumper, when at home he teaches Skateboard & BMX skills at epic skatepark in Birmingham (now called creation), he is bloody mad on a board or bike[/quote]

That is soooooooooooo cool, my son is 3 and mad into skateboards (well ish, he humours me!). I really hope he stays into it when he's into his teens. I have a big back garden and am so tempted to build a mini ramp. I'll wait to know if he's really into it.

Love BMX too, I'm looking to buy a retro one myself. Probably just a Burner (I know they were crap but now they're cool)

At least skating makes him (and me smile) now. My Longboard is perfect for two!

DSC00516.jpg

Windsurfer

Is that a Lush Longboard you are on?, it was my Lush Bahari that I snapped last year :cry: :cry:

The powell deck i mentioned, First deck apart from the Vision Jinx with a double kicktale and the wheels, oh yes the wheels Hmmmm nice 8)

28062008245.jpg

02102008873-1.jpg

02102008874.jpg

I've just read this with interest and woul like to tell my story. I got back into this, two years ago after a kind xmas present from the good lady. I only skate/cruse over the parks with the daughter these days. But have made a pratt of myself at a mates 50th (yes I've typed it right) he opened his skate park for a party and I ate ply a number of times on the ramps. O! yes I'm old (42 in two months). I first started skating following the dog town articals, like many in the 70's it opened our eyes to a completly different seen/attitude.
I would hope that I'm still doing it in 15 years time,
Heres one of the daughter on a longboard I've been building/changing, I love old skool kryptronics

Picture007-3.jpg

I'm loving these pics, it's so cool to see a second generation of skaters.

Graham, mines a Mindless Longboard, my mate has a Lush though (it's not broken, yet LOL).

Ant, that's just about the coolest deck I've ever seen. Those Powell wheels are the BOMB!

We'll have to all meet up at a show with our decks (I really want to see yours Ant)!

Unfortunately he's had all his hair cut off now, as the dreads got into a real mess

Good idea for a meet as I know that a few others including Faux & Ego are Skateboarders as well so a few more out there, theres a good publicly accessible concrete bowl at Watlington just off Jcn 6 on the M40 allegedly built by Jeremy Irons I think for his son, big car park so would make a good location for a skate meet, flat piece of tarmac next to it to do longboarding one.

Lush longboards usually do a meet there at least one a year,

Sounds like a plan Graham, it would be nice to show my new bus as well!

One more pic
a) because I'm showing off my beautiful daughter (with her poorly hand)
b) as I'm stoked that I can finally upload pics!

DSC00504.jpg

Right then, we need to organise a Sk8/Bus meet at a cool skatepark. Graham's idea sounds good!
Maybe some time in April would be good. :mrgreen:

windsurfer said:

When i see this, i've got to get my powell longboard from the atic! I think my kids (girl/almost 4 and boy/almost 2years) will love to ride it! They like to cruise with bay thank God!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

windsurfer said:
Here goes;

Scan8.jpg

Windsurfer, quite a few similarities here, I started skating when I was 11 (now 34), I sported the same haircut and Vision DV8s. :mrgreen: I remember sat watching Animal Chin thinking that this was going to be my life from then on in. I was into it so much my dad got a chainsaw to my board threatening to chop it if I didn't do well in school..... :roll:

I grew up skating Southsea, Farnborough, Guilford, Woking. I used to piss off Sean Geoff and the Abrook twins by tweaking huge Meloncollies on the Mini's at Southsea and taking up their ramp. I spent my life getting thrown out of carparks etc. When I moved to Wales in 91 I kept rolling in Brecon mainly skating steps and small home made mini's, I even got a photo in RAD way back when.....if I can did it out of the attic I'll post it up. When I moved to Newport I ended up skating with Dayton and Matt Pritchard but they both got into SELF HARM...Jack Ass Stylie.

Don't get chance to skate much now, but the board often sits in the boot just in case I spot a nice ramp or rail. I'm trying to surf these days as it seems far more easy on my body.

I would love to have a old school session with a few oldies like me, Grahams spot sounds cool or I could organise a party at the indoor park in Newport, I'm sure we could park up for the night there too.

I can't believe I have no photo's ..... bloody digital age. :lol:

Fav board Natas and Rudy Johnson/Ray Barbie......followed close by Mike Vallely (First double kick)

I`ve still got my T&C Ken Park up in the loft.
My mum had a BMX/Skate shop here in Eastbourne.
I was more into BMX and lucky enough to go to California with some mates when i was 16 :D
I got to ride the PIPELINE Skate park over there, that was reaaaly good fun.
Did get my bike nicked over there, bad times :x
However insurance money did pay for a VW Beetle, good times :mrgreen:
Now into snowboarding and mountain biking ;)

Latest posts