Skateboard anyone?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was younger I had one of those black plastic boards with the wide red wheels. It was the cheaper version of the red "super surfer" (?) and was rubbish. Had the turning circle of an oil tanker, but was ok for tic-tac's :)

It "snapped" after a short while or so. I think I might've "helped it" as I always wanted one of those wooden boards (which looked like a shorter version of a longboard) that they used to sell in the "Freemans" catalog. I never did get one though - think I ended up getting a space-hopper or swingball instead LOL!

Several years back I made a half-hearted attempt to reclaim some youth and bought a board from a local builder (mini-logo deck, destructo trucks, black wheels) and I started to try and ollie again - mostly to try and impress my son. I also picked up an old Zorloc deck (venture trucks). But my attempts to ollie are more like oliver hardy than Alan Gefland!!!

Any of you skaters got any tips for a fast-approaching-40 year old how to ollie :lol:

mcvw said:
When I was younger I had one of those black plastic boards with the wide red wheels. It was the cheaper version of the red "super surfer" (?) and was rubbish. Had the turning circle of an oil tanker, but was ok for tic-tac's :)

It "snapped" after a short while or so. I think I might've "helped it" as I always wanted one of those wooden boards (which looked like a shorter version of a longboard) that they used to sell in the "Freemans" catalog. I never did get one though - think I ended up getting a space-hopper or swingball instead LOL!

Several years back I made a half-hearted attempt to reclaim some youth and bought a board from a local builder (mini-logo deck, destructo trucks, black wheels) and I started to try and ollie again - mostly to try and impress my son. I also picked up an old Zorloc deck (venture trucks). But my attempts to ollie are more like oliver hardy than Alan Gefland!!!

Any of you skaters got any tips for a fast-approaching-40 year old how to ollie :lol:

Slap, flick, jump. :lol:

Here you go, hope this helps:

http://www.wikihow.com/Ollie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other tip I would give is to stand next to wall (about waist height), put your hands on the wall to help the jumping motion/balance. Press your back foot down hard on the tail, slide your front foot up whilst lifting the back foot up quickly. The wall really helps with balance. That's how I learnt to kick flip (many moons ago). :D

Let us know how you get on

I did used to have a skate board but was rubbish and my reall love was BMX racing, i one a large south east bmx race on my white skyway TA custom (god i wish that i still had it!) loved it and now have this which keeps me quiet. 8)

MYBMX.gif

and when i want to cruise down some nice big new tarmac hills I use this ;)

Birthday001.jpg

Sweet Longboard and BMX. I shall try to post some pics of my mates BMX collection later, it's amazing (20 grands worth).

windsurfer said:
Sweet Longboard and BMX. I shall try to post some pics of my mates BMX collection later, it's amazing (20 grands worth).

His name isnt Mat is it? :mrgreen:

No Jon, I believe he has the only collection in existence of a particular set made in 3/4 years (20 bikes), I know I'm vague but ince I know, I will explain. I'll ask him and post pics.

easy said:
windsurfer said:

His name isnt Mat is it? :mrgreen:

I used to BMX race with a guy called matt wickham he was pretty good one a lot of races, He also now collects and restores BMX bikes? Could this be the same person :?:

I was never that good got a few trophies at club level but didn't get much further. I still have a few BMX bikes and ride about with my 5 year old son :D

Here you go as promised, my mate assures me that this is a one-of-a kind collection;

The collection comprises of one of every 20" model of Jmc made. Date range 1982 - 1985

JMC Micro Mini - Only 89 Made (I have 2 including, one NOS not pictured)
JMC Mini - NOS
JMC JR Mini - Only 54 made
JMC XL
JMC 3.1 XL - NOS
JMC Short Standard - NOS
JMC Shadow
JMC Black Shadow - NOS
JMC Long Standard
JMC DY
JMC AP - With AP Handlebars - Only about 50 sets made

31xl.jpg

AP1.jpg

BlackShadow.jpg

DY.jpg

JRMiniB.jpg

LongStandardB.jpg

MicroMini.jpg

Mini.jpg

ShadowB.jpg

ShortStandard.jpg

XL.jpg

I was never into BMX's enough to recognize his collection but it is really amazing!
Hope some of you will love it!

The Black Shadow truly rocks!!!!!!!

ooof! 8) there nice!

Different Mat I think ;) He has at least 5 NOS Skyways the lucky monkey, plus more NOS haros than you can shake a mushroom grip at! :lol: (He also builds bikes for Mat Hoffman so not suprised really ;) )

the councillor said:
1st tuesday of the month as a general rule :p

Really?

First Tuesday of the month in Dublin is known as 'Mickey money' night as it's the day children's allowance
is paid and the young (often single) mothers have a night out. :lol:

Latest posts