Sliding door sticks

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberdyne systems

Reaction score
When I go to open my sliding door (having greased the runners and oiled the arm area) it just stays shut and I have to coax it out usually by pulling on the arm at the rear of the door, is there anything else I can do so that it wants to open? Maybe new rubbers will make it want to pop out?

Gareth

Thought I'd throw this out, I learned that the handle on my Early serves two purposes! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=350785&highlight=

it is from that topic also that I contacted Randy in Maine on TheSamba via PM to me addressing how they should be cared for...

"I always did mine wrong as did the previous owner of my bus. When "Amseptic" came to do a bus training with me a few years ago he suggested that I clean the old dead grease, oil and crud off the rollers so that they would actually roll and not "slide". I don't know if he has ever visited you, but it really is worth it. He teaches you how to fix your bus

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewforum.php?f=57&sid=2c6e3c4b85460c0fd104195f3e9b9f2a

We used a little solvent like "TriFlow" or Gum Out to clean all of that dead old crud off the rollers and the track. Then he suggested that I go to a sewing machine store or Walmart and pick up a sewing machine oil bottle that has a little pull out gooseneck on it and is filled with a lightweight 3 in 1 oil for about $4.

I use that on the rollers and put a dusting of wheel bearing grease on the part that the rear arm slides against on the outside of the bus and I clean and relubricate everything a couple of times each year. The pull out gooseneck is handy as you have to do them sort of upside down. I use the same stuff on my front doors and it works really well."

-Randy

After getting this reply I cleaned the best that I could & degreased and my slider started to slide!

Hope this helps.

Some fine advice there!

I have found the problem, it was the rotating lock that secures the the door and the bit that as you move the handle up clicks. It was so gunked up it wouldn't move by hand, a little oiling up later and now the door simply flies open when you pull down on the handle, result! :lol:

My slider was "okay" for the most part smooth like one finger operation open/close smooth, but it did catch just about past mid way. Being perplexed by this for over the past year I decided to re-oil, alas it still caught at that spot stopping rhe door short. While I was doing this my brother stopped by asked what was up I told him and he grabbed the slider cover the sheetmetal stretch that runs over the rail located above the fuel tank. And pulled, sure enough the slider smoothed out. Simple fix for a problem that you might have. Guess leaning on it while fueling would cause this issue. Just a heads up all. Sliding real smooth.
-Eddie

Latest posts