Solidmango westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John wyatt

Reaction score

I've been browsing the forum for a while but this is my first post about my bus, bought fro a member on here last December, initial plan was to just clean up and get her on the road, anyway it never worked out like that, ill post more photos showing the story so far she is due back from painter tomorrow, i took this photo about 6 weeks back but she needed some imperfections remedied, fingers crossed she should be ready to start piecing together this time

Well that never happened as planned, went and made some space, got trailer organised, sent txt to say I was coming, painter called to say there was a flaw in the roof and will be ready tomorrow!

You are a tease....... :lol:

Hope you do get it back tomorrow so you can share the good news and a few more pics and the story of why you ended up doing more than planned ;)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46313&p=392852#p392852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is how she was when picked up, unfortunately the engine had a rattled big end, worst ive ever heard or came across, so had to pull motor, there was a lot of water inside the van which meant removing all the interior and panels, then there was the issue of the rear corner there wasn't any way of straightening this nicely, so fitted a good new corner from FBI, will post pore pictures

Had assurance from painter bus would be ready for 10 this morning, no answer to my calls tells otherwise, still I have plenty to get done, finished putting front bumper together tonight, the bracket I have makes front plate very low, delighted with the overrider rubbers, top quality,both types came from the forum as did the nice condition original step rubbers

Nice work on the bus dude I pickedy bus up from the doc with Austin when he picked this up.
Did you sell the wheels in the end ?
Also do you intend to use that little tacho that was in the bus ?
Sam

Cheers for the comments.

Cosmics are on the late bay which I bought to get camping whilst the early was being sorted, trouble is I really like it and can't keep both!

Not sur about the tacho but probably won't use it, I'm a bit wanky when it comes to fitting just parts that were available in period;)

The late riv looks cool, if you decide you wanna move the tacho on then I am interested.

Looking forward to swing the 71 finished.

She drives amazing, 2 ltr with hydraulic tappers goes great, roof is superb as well, I'll dig the tacho out an give you a shout, cheers

Yes I recently had a run out in a similar spec bus and they do go like stink.
Do you have plans fie the motor in the 71 ?

Built up a bog standard 1600 dual port, using a new bottom end, original cylinders and pistons from Austins bus, 1 new head and 1 from Austins bus, used the nice CB headers that came with the bus also, will post a picture of it, going to phone the painter shortly

Finally she is back, worth the wait, paint is superb, managed to get a couple of hours tonight doing stupid stuff like trying the wheels on fitting front badge etc, problem fitting front bumper though as the overrider is touching the body before it is bolted up, will need spacers made, has anyone else came across this? Thanks john

Looks nice colour!! 8)
My front bumper over riders were fouling the front panel, I cheated & packed out the brackets under the front with big washers :oops:
Fits ok like!!!!!

Some decent progress with the bus, both cab doors on with seals and fitting pretty well, gap to the front panel bit big on both sides, going to take excess paint and maybe some metal off the hinges to gain something, tailgate sittin too high on nearside with no adjustment which is a bit of a problem, tested electrics and after some minor fiddling most things operating hope to get engine fitted over holidays and get her moving around under her own steam

Engine lid with US plate and surround looks like it should be mounted in my house!

My colleague Robb made a nice job of welding and profiling a new hook onto the sliding door retaining block, hope to get the sliding door into place shortly,

Latest posts