South African '71 microbus project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the van failed on a few small things like headlamp aim and handbrake efficiency as well as offside balljoint and a few small holes in the cab floor, garage to do balljoint and headlamp aim while I take care of the other stuff.
Dropped van off to get said work done in the morning, go to collect it after work to find that they'd decided they didn't have the tools to do the joint, and also the brakes had failed, no fluid leaks but pedal straight to the floor :shock:
So after a fun drive home :? I kick the dog (not sure whose dog) Also clutch is a bit iffy...
Suspension arms are now off, awaiting a friend to fit new balljoints (all four joints are the originals), painted up the arb and clamps, painted the brake pushrod and fitted the new master cylinder, noticed brake return spring is broken :roll: so near and yet so far, hope there's some sun left by the time it's on the road :(
Also fitted new steering coupler as the old one was cracked, there won't be much original mechanically left by the time I've finished.

Got bored while waiting for balljoints to be done so dropped the axle to give it a clean and paint

chassis looks good

look whats hiding underneath the crud

some more photos :D

shiny bits waiting to be refitted...

shiny axle...

don't think they're meant to be like that :?

axle fitted

spindle etc.

discs

lots of dinitrol was used in the making of this camper :D

should keep the rust at bay

After a week on the road I've come across some niggles,
1. The new 1/4 seals leak :cry:
2. The steering box has a fair bit of play :shock:
3. The gearbox is knackered, 3rd and 4th whine drowns out the engine and 1st and 2nd crunch :?
4. The stock shocks are rubbish!
5. I can't find the wiper switch at night :mrgreen:
6. My wife hates driving it :lol:
The joys of VW ownership ;)

In the last 2 weeks I've removed engine and gearbox, replaced the worn out shift bushes, fitted old recon gearbox I got off a mate. fitted new clutch. Refitted engine, removed engine to tighten clutch bolts :( (danger of starting a job one day and finishing it the next) refitted engine, removed sticky starter motor, took the solenoid to bits, cleaned it and reassembled it. Fitted starter motor (works) Test drove it, kept stalling at junctions etc, reset the dizzy(must have knocked it refitting engine :roll: ) another test drive (drives fine) and fitted a new gate and short shift kit. the gearshift now works a dream.
Just need to sort the wayward steering and my wife might actually want to drive it. :|
Already planning the summer trip to cornwall.
Need to increase the hours spent driving v,s time spent underneath it :roll:
First van we had I sware my daughter thought her daddy was just two legs sticking out from under vehicles.

Some piccies I took with my daughter's posh camera.

No longer on South Africa plates :D

The bus I sold to buy an EB :mrgreen:

marco said:
1/4 lights still leak :(

Had the same problem despite restoring my windows. Can't see how they'd seal properly anyway (I think they're a poor design) and repro 1/4 seals are shockingly poor.
Bought sliding windows instead :lol:

Yeah, toying with the idea, or getting some west coast metric seals,. Guaranteed if I go for full windows we'll have a hot summer, stick with 1/4 lights it'll chuck it down. :roll:

Replaced the rear side 1/4 light etc with a 1 piece window. Spotted a few leaks in the windscreen seal :evil: not happy.

collected my bargain ebay seats on sunday of a nice guy called Jim. They have new padding and Newton Commercial covers and are sooo comfy compared to my old ones, the drivers seat had no horsehair padding left as such and all the springs were broken. They don't go with my colour scheme but hey... who cares, they're sooo comfy :mrgreen:

Swapped them over soon as I got home.

Latest posts