Spark Plugs & Spanner

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TakeLifeEasy

Reaction score
Now bare with me on this, I know very little about engines (you gotta ask why I brought a campervan then!) but I want to learn to service the van and at least attempt to understand what is wrong with the engine when we brake down! So I am about to order a few spare parts and tools for the van and have fallen at the first hurdle. What size spark plug spanner do I need and what spark plugs are people running in their vans? I have checked the Haynes manual and it says use the spark plug spanner that came with the van :roll:

If you're serious about doing a few bits on the van I would suggest not buying the spark plug spanner but investing in a decent set of sockets which include a spark plug socket. Will pay for themselves in no time once you start servicing the van and will last a lifetime if you buy good kit.

I've got a set of Halfords professional sockets which always get good reviews and they seem to have offers on them regularly which make them pretty reasonable to buy.

67westy said:
If you're serious about doing a few bits on the van I would suggest not buying the spark plug spanner but investing in a decent set of sockets which include a spark plug socket. Will pay for themselves in no time once you start servicing the van and will last a lifetime if you buy good kit.

I've got a set of Halfords professional sockets which always get good reviews and they seem to have offers on them regularly which make them pretty reasonable to buy.

I have the same set and they were on offer aswell ;)

Just had a quick look at halfords and the set I got is on offer again:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HalfordsProductDetailsLiteView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&productId=241771&TB_iframe=true&TB_C_ID=productdetails&TB_C_TITLE=Halfords+Advanced+64+piece+Socket+Set&width=800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's nice and compact so doesn't take up too much storage space. You will probably want to get a 3/8" 13mm socket as well as the 1/4 inch can be a little on the small side.

probably should of answered your initial question as well :lol: yup 21mm

Thanks, I think I will go for the halfords set as after all so many thanks for the recommendation. What spark plugs is everyone using in their van?

I fitted Bosch W8AC last time, got them as part of a kit with leads from Just Kampers

Tip for dealing with spark plug removal.

Get an old spark plug lead (with a good tight rubber boot) and chop it off with about 6" of the lead left.

Loosen spark plug with spark plug socket until finger tight.

Push on the old spark plug lead with tight rubber fit.

Finish undoing the sparkplug by hand turning the lead.

Remove sparkplug from engine safely held in the rubber boot, with no chance of it falling down into the tinware.

Can be used in reverse to refit the plugs - finger tight to start - reduces the risk of crossthreading - I also like to use a bit of copper slip/grease on the plug threads.

The above is especially useful on Type 4 engines in campers, which have sparkplugs deep below the tinware.
There were 2 lost sparkplugs sitting on the barrels of my Type 4 engine when I removed the tinware.

Welcome to VW ownership - expect it to be painful and expensive 99.9% of the time - then anything else will be a joyous bonus.

Latest posts