Spring plate help please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r73

Reaction score
Ok so I've put the original spring plates back on the bus. The idea was to turn them up an inner spline so try and get a slightly higher stance the back.
When the plates were in their unloaded position ie off the stops they looked to be roughly the same height. But now it's off the stands it's higher on the right :evil:
Obviously you only get one chance at this. So now I've got to take it all apart and have another go. Really don't feel like doing this again in a hurry though!
The only consolation is that the threads in the hub carrier are stripped so I'll probably replace this at the same time unless anyone can tell me it can be mended?? At the moment I've just replaced the M14 threaded bolt for a M12 nut and bolt all the way through

Can anyone tell me what the standard measurements should be. And if anyone out there knows roughly what combination of inner and outer spline adjustment is needed to get the bus sitting right.

photo4.jpg

Hmmmm - not bloody right :evil: difficult to see but the right side is obviously higher - mrs thinks its well funny that ive been out there for about 5 hours in total!!!
photo2.jpg

195 R14 tyres on the back
left side not too bad?
photo3.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

right side def too high
photo1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

Front with 185 R14 tyres and KYB GR2 shocks which i think are a bit too hard really....
left
photo2-1.jpg

right
photo1-1.jpg

If you want to be posh, then the Bentley gives the unloaded springplate angles and you can set them to spec.
Don't have mine to hand but think they are about 23deg? Worth checking though.

A more basic check when they're unloaded (but better than by eye 8) ) is to hold a steel rule to the back of the springplate flush against the torsion housing and measure the distance from the top of the springplate to the upper limiter and make sure it matches side to side. Not as precise but stops you going mad walking around the van trying to decide if they look the same :D

Also, what condition are your torsion rubbers in? Worn rubbers one side will contribute to a lean.

And failing all of that, I'm in the torsion bars can go soggy camp. One of my old fastbacks sat down at the back on the driver's side. Which wasn't a problem when I bought it as I was going to lower it anyway. Dropped the passenger side a spline, turned it around to do the other side (was doing the job in limited space) and realised that the damn thing sat level. Took it for a blat. Still level. So it stayed like that! :lol:

Geeze said:
If you want to be posh, then the Bentley gives the unloaded springplate angles and you can set them to spec.
Don't have mine to hand but think they are about 23deg? Worth checking though.

A more basic check when they're unloaded (but better than by eye 8) ) is to hold a steel rule to the back of the springplate flush against the torsion housing and measure the distance from the top of the springplate to the upper limiter and make sure it matches side to side. Not as precise but stops you going mad walking around the van trying to decide if they look the same :D

Also, what condition are your torsion rubbers in? Worn rubbers one side will contribute to a lean.

And failing all of that, I'm in the torsion bars can go soggy camp. One of my old fastbacks sat down at the back on the driver's side. Which wasn't a problem when I bought it as I was going to lower it anyway. Dropped the passenger side a spline, turned it around to do the other side (was doing the job in limited space) and realised that the damn thing sat level. Took it for a blat. Still level. So it stayed like that! :lol:

thanks bud, i did renew all the donuts, visually when in the unloaded position / off the stops they looked the same, but I tend to agree with you about the drivers side being a bit weaker hence the sag. oh well it will have to come apart again, question is do I go for an inner spline or an outer????? :D

Latest posts