Spring Valley Bus meets Corvair

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a delicate operation for sure. :)

If I have a new, repetitive task, I always do the first one completely before I start the others...too late for you with that stack of trimmed seals. :lol:
That way if you learn something on the first that makes you do the others a little differently you haven't wasted any time or over worked the flimsy materials in this case.
Ah - hindsight is a wonderful thing...
It can be done though mate, so take your time and practice with the wonky one to see what happens as you fit it.

ZedBed said:

If I have a new, repetitive task, I always do the first one completely before I start the others...too late for you with that stack of trimmed seals. :lol:
That way if you learn something on the first that makes you do the others a little differently you haven't wasted any time or over worked the flimsy materials in this case.
It can be done though mate, so take your time and practice with the wonky one to see what happens as you fit it.

Wise words Zee. :msn4:
Will be worth it once they are in though - finish the bus of nicely :mrgreen:

ZedBed said:

I'm not looking forward to this now :lol: I'm due some luck so who knows....

Just

creationblue said:
ZedBed said:

Just

Well it would appear luck was indeed on my side (with this window anyway) 8)

Deluxe trims turned up this morning so clipped them straight in the rubber, I am now an expert at this, cant believe how easy it is to insert the alloy trim once you know how :lol: Anyway corners on and joints

034-4.jpg

035-4.jpg

So thought ide give it a go, on me jack so didnt hold out much hope...............1st attempt was using veg oil as a lube, quickly gave up on this. Then out came the KY jelly............... ;) and bingo!

036-3.jpg

037-2.jpg

039-4.jpg

Chuffed to bits!

Cant get to the otherside in the garage and its cats & dogs outside! Pitty cause I need the otherside done before I cant crack on with the interior...............always tomorrow

Just

Good 'ole KY.......

Where would we be without it (up shit creek no doubt :lol: )

Looking good 8)

Boy, where was your post on installing the window rubber a week ago? LOL I didn't think of KY jelly! I didn't have the chrome in mine and Hubby finally resorted to this! :shock:

cb19f9cf.jpg

Not the best way to do it, but it worked. For lube we were using a glass cleaner and we were also using huge suction cup pulls on the inside. You cans see them stuck to the window. LOL Your way sounds much easier. Luckily that was my last "hard" window to do. LOL

I here it is really hard to replace that chrome stripping, congrats on getting that back in there. Looks really good!!

creationblue said:
creationblue said:
ZedBed said:

Just

Well it would appear luck was indeed on my side (with this window anyway) 8)

Deluxe trims turned up this morning so clipped them straight in the rubber, I am now an expert at this, cant believe how easy it is to insert the alloy trim once you know how :lol: Anyway corners on and joints

034-4.jpg

035-4.jpg

So thought ide give it a go, on me jack so didnt hold out much hope...............1st attempt was using veg oil as a lube, quickly gave up on this. Then out came the KY jelly............... ;) and bingo!

036-3.jpg

037-2.jpg

039-4.jpg

Chuffed to bits!

Cant get to the otherside in the garage and its cats & dogs outside! Pitty cause I need the otherside done before I cant crack on with the interior...............always tomorrow

Just

beautiful job,

when you coming to do mine? :lol:

justcruzin said:
Boy, where was your post on installing the window rubber a week ago? LOL I didn't think of KY jelly! I didn't have the chrome in mine and Hubby finally resorted to this! :shock:

cb19f9cf.jpg

Not the best way to do it, but it worked. For lube we were using a glass cleaner and we were also using huge suction cup pulls on the inside. You cans see them stuck to the window. LOL Your way sounds much easier. Luckily that was my last "hard" window to do. LOL

I here it is really hard to replace that chrome stripping, congrats on getting that back in there. Looks really good!!

:lol: well I read your post the other week and I'm still fretting about fitting that window above! I fitted the 1/4 window yesterday and now need to take the cupboard out before trying the main part. Here's hoping it will be as easy.

Just

gninnam said:
Good 'ole KY.......

Where would we be without it (up shit creek no doubt :lol: )

Looking good 8)

:lol: cheers mate. I'm sure there is a reference of some sort in that statement about something that I know not of.....

Just

Antoine when you get round to doing yours you will prob make them piss in. Or if like me you end up pulling your hair out pm me and I'll give you some tips fella.

Just

lol, cheers, its the popping them back out without buggering my rubbers.... ooh err.... that im worried about mainly. i think ill try it when i have a nice warm day/garage so they soften up a bit more.

Right New Year and a new window..............well thats what I thought!

Spent an hour this morning, even dragged my wife out under duress :lol:

007-5.jpg

Had a few attempts and it just wasnt working for me. We got this far when the string snapped :evil:

008-7.jpg

009-9.jpg

So near yet so far so out it came again with the help from my size 9s, Mrs nearly dropped it as it flew out :lol:

So packed it all away in disgust!....................thought after that I coud use a guy line off the awning............gonna leave it for today tho try again tomorrow.

Just

Max Power said:
I stringed my screen in with single core cable,might be less likely to snap.lube with waxoyl or wd,best of luck

Funny cause that's all I had to use till I noticed the kids had this ball game that used the nylon cord I used. The won't be happy now :lol:

Just

Yey - got one in. :)

More tips:

I use pretty wimpy camping washing line. I'm still using the same piece from 5 years ago and it hasn't broken yet. If you are having to pull it so hard it breaks, it could be because your window was too far in when you pulled the string believe it or not! You need it in only as far as it needs to be to get the rubber just over the lip. If you push it up against the lip before you pull the string, or have someone press too hard from outside, it actually makes the job harder and you risk tearing the seal. Once you have it like this all round you'll find it knocks in very easily from outside. This will also prevent you damaging the seal with your string. I don't use any kind of lubricant either. Think of it like fitting an oil seal maybe? It goes it better square.

Don't know if you knew this, but make a loop opposite the crossed ends as well and work it in top and bottom. You won't need a lump hammer then. :)

Thanks for the input Zed, I think the difficult bit will be getting the lip round the 1/4 window upright, anyhow another day tomorrow and Ill have a top man to hand................ ;)

Just

Latest posts