Spring Valley Bus meets Corvair

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All finished pretty much 8) just got some NOS wipers & spindles to fix and its done! 8) looks much the same as it was but underneath is all new running gear front to back (runs like a charm ;) ) :mrgreen:

Hey justin, just put the awning up for the first time today for a trial. Man that was easy. :D

Thanks for the sale, and your time the other day!

Leon.

leon said:
Hey justin, just put the awning up for the first time today for a trial. Man that was easy. :D

Thanks for the sale, and your time the other day!

Leon.

Did the wife and kids give it the thumbs up?

Big thumbs up! except i've got to paint the van blue now to match. Women :roll: :lol:

Fitted ICTs saturday, instructions were pretty shite at best, muddled through and got there in the end, started like this

Picture114.jpg

....but at this point i really didnt think it would ever run again :shock: notice the hammer came out!!

Picture108.jpg

...........inlet manifold didnt look good, suprisingly it ran well :?:

Picture115.jpg

........finally started up and fired into life 8) had to use the string off the old carb as an auxilary to get the chokes to close off-throttle, works a treat with just enough resistance.............

............had to mod the linkage tho using an Hex key and a connector strip, not idea i agree, but needs must........

Picture112.jpg

Picture120.jpg

................this weekend, fitting the stainless custom exhaust..................

Just

............fitting the stainless exhaust..............

If ever there was a bitch of a job, this was it!!!!! Infact it was an unbelievable bitch of the cruelist type!!!!!..........

The silencer came off easily, as did the everything untill I got to the heat exchangers rear studs, one each side sheared off, so I had to drill out the studs, one side went well but the pilot drill snapped off in the stud :evil: Ever tried to drill a Stainless grade drill bit in a stud in soft alloy.... :roll: Bitch :lol:

Picture122.jpg

New stud finally fitted.....

Picture126.jpg

24Hrs later, most of which spent under the van wishing I really hadnt started.....

Picture124.jpg

.....It does look pretty sexy, almost worth the bother....

Picture127.jpg

..........the final look, if only I could convey how hard going this was :mrgreen:

Picture125.jpg

Booked into Interpro for the final setup, not till next month tho.........who said there was a recession..........

Just

easy said:
Nice work Just 8)

Thanks EZ

Also sorted out my charging issue.............Generator light would come on at low revs, then after the carb swap stayed on :shock:

So changed the brushes (wasnt the prob), and the regulator, now charging like a good 'un!

One thing to note, my Gen had an extra terminal that wasnt shown with the Italian instructions nor in the Haynes, so an educated guess placed it as an earth so attached it to one of the fixing screws......it looked to be attached to a resitor looking part of the old regulator.....

All good now, Just

Ok Got a session on the rollers today and produced 54.5Bhp, not bad for a stocker with ICTs and an exhaust 8) Pleased as punch :D

Just

Got Myself a new (to me) off-side door as mine has been filled badly on the underside, this one is Pearl White underneath 8)

Picture131.jpg

Armed with this...........

Picture132.jpg

.........and a sharp blade.........I managed this

Picture136.jpg

Then this, comes off quite easily, but have to be ultra carefull.....

Picture135.jpg

Managed to take the OG paint off in places :roll: will see how it looks at the end, will need painting i think

Picture138.jpg

Just

Been busy this weekend fitting the Zig and Battery

Picture146.jpg

Sir Faux's design now obligatory in a Westy 8)

Picture148.jpg

Left space for the Propex air vents, that is going in over the next week or so, I also have an inverter that I have stripped and this will be incorperated in the system, with a single socket squeezed on the front.

The mains comes in through the Westy Socket and into a comsumer unit c/w RCD

Picture150.jpg

This then supplies the 13A socket and the Zig. The Propex will get its supply from here too when installed, as is the 12V socket on the front

Picture147.jpg

Took ages keeping the wires neat, but another job ticked off the list 8)

Just

Ok for my next project......................thanks go out to Pete Nice for all the organisation 8)

Picture006-2.jpg

Just

Had this sat in a box at work for a year or so, thought it was about time i got it fitted

Picture152.jpg

Picture153.jpg

Picture157.jpg

Whilst routing around under the passenger seat i came accross this

Picture151.jpg

Strangly it doesnt turn in the ignition :lol:

Just

Here is a list of parts you will need:

8mm copper pipe (pipeline centre £14.00)
8mm Isolation Valve (Screwfix £5.00) or 5/16" will do
8mm 90deg comp fitting (B&Q £2.00)
8mm I/D reinforced rubber gas pipe (£2.00/m)
Fuel hose clip
8mm P-clips
40mm Holesaw & Arbor
Regulator to suit your gas bottle
various cable crimps
95mm Holesaw (for the vents)

NB Noticed B&Q do a gas fire install kit with the tube and fixings.....

Had a spare couple of hour this afternoon so started fitting the propex, 2 x 40mm holes cut, I measured 9" out from the nearside wheel tub, found this was easiest when attaching the eahaust & inlet pipes.

Picture158.jpg

I used some touch-up to seal the bare metal inside then sprayed the underside with sealant round the holes. Fixed the unit, easy so far.

Picture159.jpg

Next underneath connecting the stainless pipes, thise turned in to a bit of a job :roll: couldnt get the exhaust to meet the sill as per the instructions whilst facing rearwards as the wheel & arch are in the way! So fixed it inside the rear wheel facing down.

Picture160.jpg

Picture161.jpg

Simularly the inet was attached facing rearwards.

Tomorrow i will start on the copper, though made a school-boy error in not finding out if the Camping Gaz bottle would fit in the Westy wardrobe before drilling the hole through from the under bed cupboard, and guess what, the 907(?) bottle does not :evil: So gonna see if another bottle will fit, if not the gas will be going under the bed.

Just

Ok today i installed the gas and the 12V, decided on putting the bottle in the rear locker so ran the copper down from here

Picture170.jpg

Ran the cable for the stat up here too

Picture167.jpg

All the gas fitted and tested for leaks....

Picture166.jpg

Had to drill a hole here. didnt want to but only way to keep it neat, wasnt sure where to put the stat but figured ide rather lay in bed and control the heat than sat in the drivers seat 8)

Picture168.jpg

Looking tidy :D

Picture164.jpg

Gave it a test, as its very toasty

Picture165.jpg

Thought i had a 94mm holesaw for the vents but it was 105mm :roll: so will finish off tomorow.....Did maage to mount the inverter though

Picture169.jpg

Just

I really need to look at one of these propex heaters, preferably with the demister/cab kit. Twas very tough through the winter :shock:

Bus looking good ;)