Starter motor = poo!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfpint_fighter

Reaction score
Went to take the bus out at the weekend, she started to turn over but then after 15 seconds stopped.

The battery was showing about 11 volts on the gauge so i thought it might just be too low but was confused as normally a low battery would turn over slowly.

I have charged the battery but nothing happens when i turn the key. (i have 2 red lights on the speedo)

A quick look in the haynes and it looks like i will be getting the voltmeter out to check the solenoid.

Never had to do this before so it should be fun learning something new.

Any pointers?
Think i need a second pair of hands to turn the key while i check things so i better get my bro involved.

Had the same happen to my bus too, just check the connections on the starter (can get corroded), if connections ok check you have 12 volts at the solenoid main connector and 12 volts at the coil connector when the key is turned to cranking. If you have juice the solenoid may be jammed (should hear solenoid clicking) or the solenoid may be knackered, the solenoid is usually a sealed unit, so as in my case a replacement may be required.

halfpint_fighter said:
Went to take the bus out at the weekend, she started to turn over but then after 15 seconds stopped.

The battery was showing about 11 volts on the gauge so i thought it might just be too low but was confused as normally a low battery would turn over slowly.

I have charged the battery but nothing happens when i turn the key. (i have 2 red lights on the speedo)

A quick look in the haynes and it looks like i will be getting the voltmeter out to check the solenoid.

Never had to do this before so it should be fun learning something new.

Any pointers?
Think i need a second pair of hands to turn the key while i check things so i better get my bro involved.

Had exactly the same over the weekend. The problem was the connectors on the solenoid had gone high resistance not letting the solenoid pull in. It will appear to be a faulty solenoid. Remove the solenoid from the motor and remove the nuts holding the 2 studs in the solenoid body and clean everything. Reassemble and test the solenoid again. Ours now turns over faster than it did before.

Cheers guys!

I did hit the solenoid and check the connections but was cold and it was getting dark so i didn't try cleaning the connections or anything :lol:

I couldn't hear the click but was sat in the driver seat!

It has played up before but after i cleaned the starter motor last year it was working fine. Maybe i should get a new solenoid just in case.

halfpint_fighter said:
Cheers guys!

It has played up before but after i cleaned the starter motor last year it was working fine. Maybe i should get a new solenoid just in case.

Stop hitting it before you do damage, at best that will cure the symptoms not the fault. Why spend £15.00 on a solenoid that you probably don't need. As has been said earlier 80% of faulty starters aren't. Take the starter off remove the solenoid and clean the connectors thoroughly then test the solenoid to see if it works, if so then reassemble and refit. Took under an hour last Saturday afternoon to do exactly that.

I would see if it starts with jump leads connected to a running car first,maybe the battery has had it,worth a try before you spend any money or time.How old is the battery? You will need over 12 volts to start it.

No point trying to jumps start, i have charged the battery (13 volts) and it doesn't even turn over on the key.

If i get back from work while it's light i will start looking this week if not i HAVE to get it done on saturday as i have booked volksworld tickets for Sunday!

Probably right on the money if the battery is good,you could just bridge the starter live to the solonoid live also to confirm it (out of gear of course)

All fixed now :D

It turned out to be the earth wire from the starter motor to the solenoid had snapped where it connects to the solenoid.

The problem was that it goes inside the starter to a mass of other cable bits so is not a simple piece of wire.

The local VW garages are closed and the scrapyard didn't have one. GSF weren't answering their phones (probably wouldn't have had one anyway!)

Luckily my bro had a spare old starter motor. I would have liked to have cleaned it all up first but the main thing is it works.

As a late back up plan the owner of the VW garage did return our call to his mobile and said if we were stuck he had a new one in his workshop, luckily for my wallet we didn't need it.

Latest posts