Starting Issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owent2005

Reaction score
Evening all,

Its not really an issue at the moment but something that maybe in the future so thought id see what people think.

The van will start first time every time when cold. However when its warm, e.g. starting back up at the petrol station, it takes a fair while to fire. It turns over fine just takes a while to burst into life.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Owen

What kind of air filter do you have? if you have a pancake filter it could be carb freeze, put in a search on here you will pick up some more info
Hope this helps
Vinvan

Without trying to sound alarmist, when you start from cold the engine is quite tight all round because it’s cold so listen to how it turns over. Compare that with how you think it turns over when starting from warm or hot. If it turns over faster when warm, it’s possible you have lost a bit of compression which could be a crack in the heads that opens more as it warms or it could be that your valve gap has disappeared as it’s warmed up, again loosing a bit of compression. If it’s the opposite and slower to turn over when warm, it could be an electrical issue like needing a warm start relay or a couple of other things. So have a good listen at the difference in turning over.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,might give us a clue. :mrgreen:

Hi did you happen to set the choke by backing it off from your previous post , it sounds as though the engine is being over choked therefore running too rich.

Thanks for the inputs, a little bit more info from me,

The starting thing has been there the whole time I’ve owned the van (about 2 years). She had a new engine fitted 18 months ago and the garage that did the work when I asked him about it said that all vans had quirks and this was mine!

Recently I’ve had the carb off to give it a service and a clean, I posted on here with a couple of questions, I set the carb up as described backing the idle screw out on the bottom notch of the choke steps. The automatic element of the choke is also set up correctly with the dot and lines lining up. I have an oil bath air cleaner fitted that I also gave a service and oil change.

The van still starts first time every time, then quite a few turnovers to get going when hot. Unfortunately because it starts immediately when cold I can’t really gauge if it’s faster or slower than when hot.

Any other pointers would be appreciated

Owen

Just an update, I've since fitted a Solex 34 Pict 3 carb and it seems to be working fine as in takes the same amount of time to start whether that be cold or hot, fingers crossed!

Great glad you got it sorted, had a further look at your previous post zoomed in on picture of carb it seems to be a 30 pict 3 which I think were used on beetles, anyway at least it is working fine now.

Latest posts