still cutting out

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stokeseys

Reaction score
had enough of this Effin bus now!!!
took my bus for mot / service. on route there was alot of oil coming out of rocker yet oil level above maximum. after gaining advice this may have been due to undertaking short journeys ( which i was when moving house) and fuel mixing with oil.

anyway drove back frkm garage about 10 miles and no cutting out but did seem hot. i did take engine out as i wanted to replace oil cooler and tinware as this was worse for wear. i also changed fuel pump fuel lines and fuel filter ( which i put by gearbox) anyway atfee doing all of that and refitting engine it cut out after about a mile but restarted almost straight away.

i thought this maybe an issue with new fuel pump so replaced with old one as i knew this worked. anyway took it for a drive and about a minute into drive it cut out again. restarted and continued to do this back home.

when i replaced fuel pump i did disturb distributor. the engine does tick over and will rev but once driving it cuts out. there is fuel in the filter.

i Dont know what could be the issue with it especially when it was running before i took engine out. i know i should have just left it but the tinware was knackered and did seem to be running very hot!!

Somewhere along the line, have you checked the fuel pump pressure? It`s really easy to do. Pop off the pipe from the carb/s and place it sideways on into a one or one and a half litre clear bottle about an inch or two. Then get someone to turn the engine over and the fuel pump should shoot a decent jet of fuel that should hit the bottom of the bottle if it`s held sideways. If it just dribbles out or shoots the jet about an inch or so then we know where to start looking. If it`s feeble it could be the pump or the rod that operates the pump or even the cam that operates the rod, or even further back in the fuel supply. I know you`ve cleaned it out a fair bit but sometimes cleaning can loosen other bits of crap and taking pipes on and off can sometimes introduce bits of all sorts into the lines. If it squirts really good then the problem (if it is fuel) is further along either in the lines or in the carb/s. A tiny bit of shit can block the workings up and then fall back out when it`s all turned off so you go for a bit more until the tiny bit of shit gets naughty again. But let`s start with fuel pressure and see what happens :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Try to get back on this afternoon :mrgreen:

cheers ozzie dog. i will give it a try. i did make the fuel line slightly longer from the metal joint to fuel pump as the old one was sat on the heat riser. would this effect the fuel getting to pump do you think??

I wouldn`t have thought so unles it`s got something in it possibly. If you think it`s possibly heat related, you could try suspending the pipe in mid air using cable ties or sumfink just to prove or disprove the theory, but only as a temporary measure just to see if it changes anyfink. I`d check your fuel pressure first and possibly a couple of times as this seems to be an intermittent problem, could even be something lodging somewhere when you are mobile ? Then dropping back again once you`ve stopped.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Not on for a bit now :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

right checked the fuel pressure in a 2 litre bottle and fuel shot out about half way on some rotations and less on others. took carb off and there was quite a lot small black particles as well as the odd slightly bigger ones. carb cleaned! took for a spin and got further than last drive, but ran out of bloody petrol ( i think, no fuel gauge and non in fuel filter). started it but it was too late to risk testing it further. although when i got back it Wasnt idling properly and kept cutting out when trying to manouver onto drive!!

took for drive this evening after cleaning out carb. more or less covered the same distance before fuel starvation caused it to cut out. Ive noticed that althougg the fuel filter if fitted about 10 inches after the outlet it was not filling up as would be expected. so as i undone the clips o noticed that these had squashed the filter tubes which i am hoping has led to a restriction of fuel. job to do tomorrow- buy a harder plastic filter and replace!!!

took for drive this evening after cleaning out carb. more or less covered the same distance before fuel starvation caused it to cut out. Ive noticed that althougg the fuel filter if fitted about 10 inches after the outlet it was not filling up as would be expected. so as i undone the clips o noticed that these had squashed the filter tubes which i am hoping has led to a restriction of fuel. job to do tomorrow- buy a harder plastic filter and replace!!!

update- well replaced the filter and it was evident that the clips had crushed the outlet pipe ofthe fuel filter. changed the filter--no more cutting out :)

stokeseys said:
update- well replaced the filter and it was evident that the clips had crushed the outlet pipe ofthe fuel filter. changed the filter--no more cutting out :)

Brilliant !!! Let`s hope you`ve tracked it down. It does look like you was on the right track with the fuell pressure etc etc.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,Fingers crossed :mrgreen:

Latest posts