Stock carb question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't myself but an old club member ran a 1776 on a stock solex with different jets ect have no idea what jets though . He always said it ran ok . But he was planning on saving up for some decent twins for it .
I used to run a 1776 on a 69 bus with a progressive and that went really well .

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

bac2ba6 said:
Haven't myself but an old club member ran a 1776 on a stock solex with different jets ect have no idea what jets though . He always said it ran ok . But he was planning on saving up for some decent twins for it .
I used to run a 1776 on a 69 bus with a progressive and that went really well .

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
Thanks for that
Maybe think about The progressive
But genuine ??
Can't be doin that empi and my mate yelling down
The phone where the f$*k did you get that carb from ?
Again :lol:

I think faux had a 1776cc with a stock single carb.

monkeyvanwestybike said:
Clem said:
I think faux had a 1776cc with a stock single carb.
Thanks clem
Im sure it works fine
but I dare say someone will tell me why it wont :)

That'll be me then :lol:
The following is based on my experience using stock carbs on bigger engines back in the 70s!
A stock carb has a ventura that's a bit too small for a 1776 engine so even if you increase the idle and main jets, the poor beast will never get enough mixture through it to make best use of the 1776 ccs. It is possible to increase the ventura size with a bit of machining to say 36 or 38 mm but that's a lot of work.
There is another problem with the stock carb related to the idle circuit. At idle, fuel comes into the carb through three tiny holes drilled in the barrel where the butterfly sits. One provides fuel with the butterfly virtually closed and the other two are progressively uncovered as the butterfly starts to open. On a bigger engine these ports are not really big enough, so the engine won't idle properly and stumbles as you start to open the throttle. Again it is possible to overcome this by drilling the holes bigger with a dentist's drill and tiny bits.

TBH you would be much better off fitting a pair of genuine ICTs or better still Dell FRDs, if you want a simple pair of twin carbs that are easy to set up. If you want even more performance and still good mpg then nothing beats a pair of IDF 36s or 40s, but then are a little more difficult to set up.

I'm not a big fan of Weber progressives, but properly installed they will give you better performance than a modified 34 PICT 3.

There you go - take your pick ;)

Thanks
Well that's that then! :)
Looks like I will run the stock 1600
With the Solex
I have for a while
When I go 1776
I wouldn't go for the Ict copy poor quality jobbies
I thought maybe recon drla dells
When funds/ cc allow ;)

I'm running a stock solex until I can get the cash together for a better suited carb/carb. I've upped the fuel so the carb runs richer than for a 1600. The reason being that it will cause pinking running an engine too lean n obvs(you'll hear it pop a little on deceleration if running lean), to my mind anyway, a 1776 needs a bit more draw. I've got no problems with it running this way anyway :lol:

I have just upgraded to a 1776 from vw engine company.

Had to do this because 1641 blew on way down to Cornwall 2 week ago.

The 34 pict 3 was swapped straight over on advice from veEngComp, and its ran fine.

I do get the impression though that I am missing out on a few bhp under my right foot !!!

markrockliff said:
I have just upgraded to a 1776 from vw engine company.

Had to do this because 1641 blew on way down to Cornwall 2 week ago.

The 34 pict 3 was swapped straight over on advice from veEngComp, and its ran fine.

I do get the impression though that I am missing out on a few bhp under my right foot !!!
What sort of torc and top end speed is this producing for you Mark. I am going to be going 1776 after the summer trips are out of the way, and like the idea of going single carb.

Latest posts