Stu & Clare Present Murphy - Aircooled Campout 2020 Pics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rob,

Cheers for the compliment

Got the wiper arms from here

http://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-baywindow/wiper_parts/wiper_arms--and--blades/chrome_finished_stainless_steel_wiper_arms_plastic_cap_style_8fslash68-79_1314/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not cheap but look fantastic

Have now fitted some "chrome" look blades from fleabay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290703803800?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps you out

Stu

thanks - yes looked at those C&C - in your pics you seem to show them with the earlybay type dome nut locking cap and not the latebay type plastic cap over a nut style - how does the dome nut fit the C&C late type arm?

cheers
Rob

I will go out to the garage and take a pic - I did a straight swap from the old arms to the chrome ones.

They work great although have yet to try the chrome blades!

Here are the pics

r39kG.jpg

XOZSR.jpg

Xz3dD.jpg

Hope this helps :D

thanks Stu - yes you seemed to have done what I thought was not poss - i.e. use the earlybay dome nut on the latebay arm - did you have to adapt them at all? if not, then looks like this is the way I shall do mine
cheers for the help
Rob

No adaptation whatsoever - they fitted straight on and worked great.

They got ALOT of use on the way to Ninove as it rained for about the first 2 days solid with no issues.

Seeing as everyone is getting shiny exhausts for their buses and I cant really stretch to a Vintage Speed ( :msn4: just yet :msn4: ) I have managed to get a stainless replacement for my standard peashooter

Here are the pics

Can you spot the new one vs the 1 year old one! :lol:

El8so.jpg

It did require a small amount of alteration to fit and I may play with it a bit more but I am happy with the quick change

PWnUf.jpg

iPQsG.jpg

You cant beat a shiny end!

QatRy.jpg

Looking at earlier pics, what did you insulate the large heater pipe with under the bus? Cheers!

Guess you mean this pic buddy?

4oaFl.jpg

Exactly what the insulating jacket is or where it came from though is not known to me - you could maybe send GadgetBoy a pm on here as he was the magician who restored the bus and may be able to help you.

Sorry I cant give you more info

Yes thats what I mean, i'll send him a message! Very impressed with your bus!

Well where to begin, :msn4:

In preparation for the coming trip to Spain I requested some assistance from Gadget - Mr VW himself, AKA Deano and we agreed today was a good day to "Service" Murphy. 8)

So after rising at 0430 this morning and driving over to Gadgets Speed Shop the service commenced. :oops:

Here we have Gearbox and Engine Oil, Clutch Release Bearing, Flywheel Oil Seal and Flywheel o-ring, spare clutch cable and a gearbox input shaft seal (that wasnt required) - all provided by Machine 7.

Had a small oil leak and release bearing whine so needed to sort it before the 3000 mile trip

baG7m.jpg

NHweh.jpg

EauzI.jpg

Getting closer to Flywheel Oil Seal and O-Ring

juSTM.jpg

Clutch plate had loads of meat left on it!

8BKL7.jpg

There's the blighter causing the small leak

hytjl.jpg

Cleaned up the flywheel contact area

3jGaf.jpg

Took a small amount of torque to remove

WTlmd.jpg

Also was there to get a small treat fitted - One of Gadgets Legendary Tow Bars, hot off the production line

RBT0C.jpg

Old bumper irons off and new towbar friendly ones installed - love splash pans

vhk9G.jpg

Murphy with his insides showing

rD46A.jpg

U7K6I.jpg

Whilst we were there we dropped the gearbox oil - it wasnt pretty and smelled really bad :shock:

dg4KP.jpg

neuRf.jpg

Mid service this very very very expensive vehicle arrived in the yard for some tlc - believe it is worth in excess of £1 million :shock:

y4vku.jpg

jIeay.jpg

uPf7j.jpg

dyC9r.jpg

GW4Zl.jpg

gsTJ2.jpg

dtGlY.jpg

With the seals changed, gearbox release bearing replaced and oil renewed we refitted the engine.

DfKEX.jpg

With the engine in we slid the towbar on

RVl2p.jpg

kPdoE.jpg

faxWT.jpg

f3g62.jpg

Finished article

8uqIl.jpg

vQmgV.jpg

Overall the whole job took 11 hours - we serviced the engine, gearbox,replaced the release bearing/flywheel oil seal, o-ring, fixed a misaligned heat exchanger, fixed a broken alternator retaining strap that had perhaps caused the previous issues with top pulley and retaining bolt, installed a brand new towbar and drove it home!

Big thanks to Deano for the education and for sharing my butties!

Phew that was a long day - see some of you peeps at Stanford Hall! 8)

Yes mate see you there - although Clare may be a little jaded :lol: (She has a hen do on the sat night!)

Might need to fire up some prodigy tunage to wake her up. :msn4:

Any chance of a couple of "Buddy Box" stickers for Murphy? 8)

StuF said:
Yes mate see you there - although Clare may be a little jaded :lol: (She has a hen do on the sat night!)

Might need to fire up some prodigy tunage to wake her up. :msn4:

:lol: Tell her no diving in bushes :shock: !!
Look forward to seeing you both. 8)
Stickers I'll sort...no guarantee in time for next weekend though as the graphics guys are a little slow! But I will try. :D

In preparation for Stanford Hall and next months trip to Spain I have decided to add some sound insulation.

Looked at several different types and went for this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220649059457?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its very adhesive and plastic backed so suited my needs.

Here are some pics

Before shot

1JNAm.jpg

Shot of the spare

UD1dg.jpg

Bed out for a clean

1BkZA.jpg

Heatgun for added moulding powers

FsPUd.jpg

Over engine

6mOsh.jpg

Under rock and roll bed

KwyJ7.jpg

RtDfw.jpg

Also did inside the westie wardrobe

Back together

3NTzt.jpg

Havent been out for drive yet to test the difference but hope it will be significant.

See you peeps on sunday 8) Will be arriving around 10am

Sorry mate used 2 whole packs and don't have a single bit left.

Hope it reduces some of the engine drone. Will let you know if it was worth the effort on sun

Fingers crossed for a nice day - see you there :D

Latest posts