Stuck in reverse

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davla

Reaction score
I changed my gearstick to an EMPI short shift but it was difficult going from 3rd to 2nd, I adjusted the position of the base but couldn't get it to change down nicely so I'm guessing the bushes are worn on the shaft. Anyway I put the big wobbly gearstick back on but could only select reverse, I took it off and found that somehow I'd pulled the cup off the guide (see pic). Can I resolve this from inside the cab or have I got to take off the belly pan and sort out from underneath?

If it’s come off, then it should slot back on with some fiddling, however, you are likely to be cursing with the amount of grease on it and lack of access.

I would suggest that it has come off because at least the front bush needs replacing... possibly also the rear shift cage. If it were me, whilst it’s apart, I’d remove the front section from under the van and the cage, and inspect the bushes on a workbench after a good bit of cleaning up. Will make a world of difference if they’re damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That can be sorted from underneath the cab, however I reckon it needs the whole set of shift rod bushes changed and that requires the engine and box to be removed

Latest posts