stupid things non vw fans have said to you

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
uber cool said:
I've also had 'a Porsche engine will drop straight in' which is funny :mrgreen:

The even funny thing is it did :shock: ......see my gallery photos

SHHHHHHHHH!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

When my bug was for sale people would say "how much you want for it" expecting about £300, when i said £2000 they thought i was having a laugh!

When i told people i was getting a new camper i got "Oh cool, one of the split window ones?" quite a bit :lol:

And there is always the usual "Is that thing road leagal?" or in my bug "Are your back wheels supposed to be like that?"

when i first got my van it was, why didn't you get a split screen one? and also had, arr a passion wagon! did you buy it in cornwall? because every one knows that all vw vans live in cornwall and driven by hippy surfers! :lol:

I've had;
"Why is it so close to the ground?"
"So what colour are you going to paint it?" or "It'll look nice with a re-spray"
"Should be worth a few quid when it's finished"
"I had one, put a standard 1900 engine from a Variant in it. Pulled wheelies it did!"
"You can get new ones you know, made in Brazil but look just the same. Would save all that work fixing it up."
But the one that used to make me want to stick an axe in their head was,
"Are you doing it up?"
Now I just say "Read the back window"
It says; 'If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand'
Thanks for making that for me Uber Cool!!!

Pete B said:
I've had;
"Why is it so close to the ground?"
"So what colour are you going to paint it?" or "It'll look nice with a re-spray"
"Should be worth a few quid when it's finished"
"I had one, put a standard 1900 engine from a Variant in it. Pulled wheelies it did!"
"You can get new ones you know, made in Brazil but look just the same. Would save all that work fixing it up."
But the one that used to make me want to stick an axe in their head was,
"Are you doing it up?"
Now I just say "Read the back window"
It says; 'If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand'
Thanks for making that for me Uber Cool!!!

power to the people Pete - just stick a axe in their head anyway

Although i'm new to the scene i have had "Insurance will cost you a fortune for that" and "must cost a fortune to tax these days" and my favourite, "is it supposed to be that noisy", lol. :D

LOL.

When my exaust was like this:

02042009341.jpg

and i had to roll down my window in every tunnel, man it sounded good, and flames too :)

my neighbour came by and asked is it supost to sound like that or is it broken, that simmer pot :evil:

I love the guy on samba.com who when asked "What year is it?"
checks his watch and says "(insert current year eg 2009 here)"

Ah, that reminds me of a fella I bumped into at the Whitenoise/Alldubz event this year. Seems he was selling his late Beetle and looking for a Bus. "Been offered a '66 bus, D reg, immaculate original paint, camper interior, like new inside. £4500 the bloke wants. It's parked in the car park near the entrance, would you have a look to see what you think?"
So I'm thinking if it's true I'll tell him it's crap and have it myself!!!
Of course what we find is an '86 D plate T25...... "But I thought D reg was 1966" says the chap, completely ignoring the fact that it looks nothing like a Splitty!!!

A girl i'm friends with asked where is the engine, when i said in the back she replied with where is the boot then? :roll:

Some bloke asked are the pedals the other way round because the steering wheel is on the left?

Guy at work, how many times have you done the deed in the back? I thought :| F**k off

working on it at my mums and the old boy from next door came round and said i used to work with someone who had one the same as this, d reg 1966 .......... then as he finished he tapped me with his elbow, winked and said "this will be worth something to a collecter" ;)

" ah cool my grandad had one of those commer vans "
"what do you want one of those for , they just break down all the time what you want is a ford transit or something reliable " :lol: " :evil:

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and loving life as a vdubber!

Felt compelled to add to this thread.

stupid neighbour says..."cr*p them things are...cant wait till I drive by you when you've broke down, with steam coming from under your bonnet!! :x

I often get "I used to have a kombi, wish i still had one". Well sell your ford and get one!

When i'm filling up my early Fastback (bonnet up)....."you won't get far in that (with no motor)" :character0036:

I've just sold a Late Bay for a Early Bay....."Are you going to sell this one when the Split's done?" hmm good question. People don't understand when i say "i think i prefer this one".

guy at work has said some stupid things!...
"why dont you spend money on something nice!!"
"those air-cooled engines just break down all the time"
"you cant really go on the motorway in that"
"it will still be old when its done though"

what the actual f@ck ...he isnt the brightest kid around ;)

I've been flagged down no end of times to be told my exhaust is falling off :roll: :lol: :lol:

NewBus001.jpg

most questions where posted before. some others i often hear is:

ist der überladen / is it overloaded
ist der tiefergelegt? / is it lowered (Why do they ask if they see it)
was kostet der denn / what´s the price (NO! i don´t wan´t to sell it)
wieviel verbraucht der denn / how much gas does it need? (does this matter?)
mein Nachbar hat auch einen mit Porschemotor / my neighbor has one with porsche motor in the garage (so there must be 100000s left)
ich hatte auch so einen, einen Diesel / i also had one - it was a diesel

there are so many stoopid questions cannot count it.

greetings alex

Just last night......in the pub with my mate and he goes.....

'I saw an advert in the Sunday Times :evil: and thought of you...'

'Did you know they are still making these new, some company imports them, water cooled, so that's better right?'

'And their all in, done, converted to camper for £24k'

'How much do reckon you'll have spent on yours when it's done....? ha ha, you could've had a new one.'

He's a really good friend, we have a great laugh and I really like him, but I was somewhat disappointed?! :roll: