Supertramp's European Adventure - (Now over, safely home)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supertramp

Reaction score
I thought I'd start this thread now as it's going to be a adventure blog/question thread for what I think is about to happen.

Seen a Westy I like in Northern Europe, had loads of pictures and videos and about 20 email replies from customers who have purchased a bus, all extremely positive and saying the things I want to hear.
The bus is a US import as of a few weeks ago, solid, original and should be nearly able to just jump in and use, which is what I'm after, all for a reasonable price. I was looking at all the US busses on thesamba and they've gone so expensive, add import and taxes and the risk of buying without seeing makes this feel less risky.

So my plan is to fly over and view the bus, if I like it I can give the go ahead for some mechanic work that needs doing that will enable me to drive it through Europe and home. Here's what needs doing:

- brake hose front right
- wheel bearing left rear
- tie rod assembly right side
- steering drag link
- 4x balljoint dustcap
- at least 1 CV boot, but the other 3 show some dry cracks, so I would recommand to change all 4 CV boots.
- Some lights, the horn and window washer are not funtional right now
- Direction indicator switch
- front brake calipers need to be rebuilt
- I'm not sure about the rear wheel brake system (cilinders and brake shoes left and right), so I have to open the brake drums and check out the inside.

The recommendations from his previous customers not only positively describe buying a bus from him, but also his after care and MOT/repair work so I am happy for him to do this.
First question: Does anyone have an idea as to how much this should all cost?

Second question: Am I correct in thinking that as VAT has already been paid on importing into Europe I don't have to pay anything to get it into the UK? If I am driving it home and get the ferry to Dover for example, do I have to have an MOT down south or can I drive it up to Manchester?

Any other tips/advice anyone can add?

I will add pictures as the adventure continues. I'm quite excited, a nice westy and the chance to drive through Europe. What could possibly go wrong? :msn4: :lol:

Paddy

What could go wrong? :lol:

The bus wont be registered anywhere, so cant really be legal anywhere. I think you need export plates from some Euro countries but that cant/wont apply if its not registered there. I doubt you'll get insurance to cover driving an unregistered bus across Europe and back into the UK.

There is no VAT to pay as its an EU import, but make sure there is some proof that the importer has paid his taxes. Mine came in through Holland and my registration was delayed as they treated it as a US import initially ... it was a bit of a pain.

The rest, the mechanicals, the trip, etc etc are all manageable and would be a cool thing to do, but legalities may stop you.

Just make sure you get all the paperwork needed to make registering it later easier, I kniow the new Nova thing can be a pain you have to proove the import duty was paid.

Sounds an awesome trip.

Good Luck :mrgreen:

Thanks for the replies. So Clem if I had it registered in the country it's now in, would that help?
The importer has all the correct documents of import including the title. Trying to figure out if driving it back is doable as it'll save hundreds in transport costs. Plus it's an epic adventure :D

Supertramp said:
Thanks for the replies. So Clem if I had it registered in the country it's now in, would that help?
The importer has all the correct documents of import including the title. Trying to figure out if driving it back is doable as it'll save hundreds in transport costs. Plus it's an epic adventure :D

My understanding is its much easier to register a vehicle from a euro / scandinavian country than it is to register from the US ;)

Alex VW Heritage said:
Supertramp said:

My understanding is its much easier to register a vehicle from a euro / scandinavian country than it is to register from the US ;)

Thanks Alex. From what I can gather I'd need temporary plates issued in the country I'm buying from, which would be valid throughout Europe. I'd need to be insured, which AF have already said is possible on the chassis number.
Once I get to the UK I'd have to have a prebooked MOT, and according to the DVLA, I can drive from the docks to that even if the MOT is in Manchester and the port is down south. Then it's just a matter of normal registration process.

The bus needs to be registered somewhere before you can drive it on UK roads, if you buy a bus direct from the US it's illegal to drive it away from the docks and most shipping agents won't let you collect it to drive it away.

I would definitely try and get it registered where ever it us and ensure that country is in the EU otherwise duty will be payable again in the uk, it's only not payable if duty has already been paid in an EU country.

Paperwork is really important and you will need the us title doc, proof duty has been paid in that country a registration document of some sort if it's gets registered locally.

Also it's not DVLA who are responsible for MOTs it's VOSA and I think they would take a very dim view of you driving a bus if it's not registered all the way from the port to Manchester.

As Alex has pointed out you may still get into issues with the NOVA system when you come to register it, the system is proving a real pain at the moment and lots of people are having issues.

Graham L said:
The bus needs to be registered somewhere before you can drive it on UK roads, if you buy a bus direct from the US it's illegal to drive it away from the docks and most shipping agents won't let you collect it to drive it away.

I would definitely try and get it registered where ever it us and ensure that country is in the EU otherwise duty will be payable again in the uk, it's only not payable if duty has already been paid in an EU country.

Paperwork is really important and you will need the us title doc, proof duty has been paid in that country a registration document of some sort if it's gets registered locally.

Also it's not DVLA who are responsible for MOTs it's VOSA and I think they would take a very dim view of you driving a bus if it's not registered all the way from the port to Manchester.

As Alex has pointed out you may still get into issues with the NOVA system when you come to register it, the system is proving a real pain at the moment and lots of people are having issues.

Hi Graham. As far as I'm aware duty and VAT have been paid in the country it's now in. All the documentation is present. So I would need the bus to be registered in that country. The work I've described above is so that it meets the countries MOT standard so would I then be able to maybe book an MOT closer to the port? At least then it should pass and can continue my journey.
As for temporary plates to drive through Europe are these then valid in the UK once the MOT is done to get from the port?

It seems there are two obstacles here, driving it in Europe, then driving it in the UK.
Also what's happening with the NOVA system? I don't mind any delays provided that it's once I have the bus home and safe.

Why would you need another MOT when you get to the UK if it already has one in the country it is registered? I see plenty of polish,Dutch, French etc cars on uk roads and they have not stopped off at an MOT station in Dover!
Best bet biscotti get it registered where it is and then you will be able to use it over here until you re-register it here.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Foreign cars that are registered in their home countries will be owned by people residing permanently in those countries, hence why they can be driven over here - the same as we can drive our cars abroad. The issue here is the van not being registered. If its registered in Holland and legal, it can be driven back to the UK. Once its in the UK it can be MOT'd and driven.
Contact the seller and if he can/will register it over there, then it will simply things but may cost as much as hiring a trailer and collecting it yourself!

Supertramp said:
Alex VW Heritage said:
Supertramp said:
Once I get to the UK I'd have to have a prebooked MOT, and according to the DVLA, I can drive from the docks to that even if the MOT is in Manchester and the port is down south. Then it's just a matter of normal registration process.

Careful on this as am sure there is something about reasonable distance to travel for the MOT?

Ok bit of an update on this. The seller is going to help me sort out the temporary registration and plates so I can drive through Europe. So technicalities of Europe part of the trip, sorted.
Spoke to VOSA who referred me back to DVLA about travelling for the MOT who again restated that I could get it from the port to Manchester with a prebooked MOT. So that's sorted.

Updates on the bus I *may* be getting coming soon.

My bus is now sold, I'm quite sad about it as it's my first proper car and it's amazing history, but exciting times ahead to make my own history and memories.

Sneak peak of the potential new memory maker, the 71 Westfalia:
866058b72f069ca5cafb9ec6e17fe9dd.jpg

Latest posts