The Buss-E '71

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, my bus has to be one of the longest projects around, 8 years of ownership and still not finished (I like to take my time). Almost a year since I posted this thread and the bus still looks the same on the surface, still no proper interior in the rear. But I have spent more on keeping the beast cool, along with all the goodies in the motivation department I've shelled out on a fully braided plumbed external oil cooler with fans, it really helps if I want to spank it on the motorway for more than 5 minutes. Going to the British Grand Prix in it in June, give us a wave if anyone sees us on our travels. Respect to the Early Bay!

Just read this post from last year. Didn't get to F1 in the bus as it broke down on the motorway. I've had fuel problems and thought it was that. The symptoms included rough running, misfiring, basically issues that made me think it was fuel related. But no, it was the electronic ignition. When these have gone on me before it's been a dead stop and not intermittent as in this case, thought you should all know. It foxed me!

God I've been lazy with updating this thread. Since my last post the bus has had a fair bit of work done to it.

I designed and then had this fuel tank made. The workmanship is so good I might have to make a clear plexi-glass engine panel so you can still see it. I had it kicking around the house before fitting and a friend of my wifes' thought it was some kind of funky new furniture!
DSCF2333.jpg

The next thing I had done is to mount the oil cooler further up in to the chassis, which meant cutting out part of the heater tube. I'm not using one side of this so it was good to go (don't have a pic for this). Next was to get the front valence re-done as the paint had started to bubble. I had this done along with the guttering over the drivers door and the opposite corner at the rear as that to had started to do the same as the valence.
Next up was (and still is) a new improved dash. The old one was really good but at night was a little annoying, I'm quite tall so sit high in the bus and the Ultra-lite gauges reflected off the windscreen. So along with Dave at Airwerx (TBH mostly Dave) a new dash has been fabricated.
Trial fit
DSCF5103.jpg

Dash hell
DSCF5106.jpg

It still needed a lot of work to start to look good

DSCF5111.jpg

12 hours later

DSCF5112.jpg

2 days later...

DSCF5118.jpg

I took it to a local painter a to get it sprayed. I thought it looked really good but he said he thought it could be better! I left it with him this week so really looking forward to how that turns out.

Old dash will be for sale shortly

DSCF5108.jpg

More when the new dash gets back home, hopefully at the weekend

How'd I missed this one :?:

Great looking van and the work on the fuel tank looks amazing 8)

Working on another dash - very inventive ;)

gninnam said:
How'd I missed this one :?:

Great looking van and the work on the fuel tank looks amazing 8)

Working on another dash - very inventive ;)

Cheers, can't wait till the weekend and pick up the dash, just hope it's ready. I feel like a small child waiting to open a present, so far the dash has taken two and half months on and off and this is almost the last hurdle. Complete rewire of the whole bus next!

looking forward to seeing your dash go back in. its making me want to do something a little different to mine. :D

Very nice bus you have there. The dash looks like it will be extra special.

Interesting you say the seats are BMW. Not seen that before. Looks like they may use the original seat frame. Any idea which BMW model they came from?

Looking forward to your update.

Trikky2 said:
Very nice bus you have there. The dash looks like it will be extra special.

Interesting you say the seats are BMW. Not seen that before. Looks like they may use the original seat frame. Any idea which BMW model they came from?

Looking forward to your update.

Yes, they do use the original VW sub frames. Basically I've got two driver seat sub frames that I then welded brackets in to. They match exactly the same positioning as the BWM sub frames and even use the same mounting bolts. I used driver subframes because I wanted sliding runners for both seats. I now have two sliding front seats. Finally, they came out of an old 7 series BMW which I reckon would make them about 15-20 years old.

Got a mental week of bus business ahead, seeing as I've got a week off work. Wet flatting the dash tomorrow, as well as refit the door locks. I've just had all the barrels re-built along with the ignition, switch, I'm aiming to get the steering lock working again as well. Before I do, anyone know a good reason why I shouldn't? Also:
Sand down Ignition housing, steering column base, a couple of sliding door parts, paint and refit later in the week.
Continue with my personal quest to add as much weight as possible with sound proofing, god that stuff weighs a lot.
IMG_0559.jpg

DSCF5134.jpg

Yet more sanding of the speaker pods for the front mids.
IMG_0582.jpg

Fit late bay H4 head lights
Paint and fit new backing plates for front indicators (mine are rusty as hell and causing bad earthing problems)
Fit all new switches in to the new dash along with all the gauges, electric window switches, LED Warning lights (10 of those that all need resistor values calculating, not a big job but still takes time)
Maybe have a go at fitting new heated rear window
Work out all current loads for all the extras I've got going on, Oil Cooling fans, Heated front and rear screens, Fog lights front and back, reverse light, extra interior lighting, windscreen washer and the listy goes on.
Get dash to Leeds so the guy making the loom can get started.
Not sure how much I'll get done, I'll update as the week progresses.

Then I can work on the sound system.

Looking and sounding good :D

Think you went overboard with the sounds deadening panels myself :shock:

Usually only have to occupy a percentage of the total surface area to work.
But if this is also for heat retention as well, then it should cover all surfaces ;)

Looking forward to seeing the work over the coming week :mrgreen:

gninnam said:
Looking and sounding good :D

Think you went overboard with the sounds deadening panels myself :shock:

Usually only have to occupy a percentage of the total surface area to work.
But if this is also for heat retention as well, then it should cover all surfaces ;)

Looking forward to seeing the work over the coming week :mrgreen:

Yeh, I agree, when I was doing it, I did think it was overkill. :? But I did do a test along the way, I did the centre first, as this is the most critical area. I banged the roof inside and out and have to say the difference when I finished the whole roof was noticeable. :D Considering the roof is a very large panel with no direct structural reinforcement it's now dead as hell so I'm well chuffed. I've still got an extra 2 layers of sound proofing to do over the engine and gearbox and a single layer for the roof and rest of the panels to get the result I want.
I have gone down a completely anal route with the soundproofing, but I really want to maximise the sound quality for the music system, I really hate poor quality sound, I'd rather have no music and listen to the engine, although happily both sound sweet now! :D

Barkafer said:
Sweet lookin Bus and very cool. 8) Just got some 5 spokes meself and can't wait to get them fitted.

Cheers, Those wheels are gonna take some effort to keep clean. Keep your originals for the winter, but, if you don't want them I may take them off your hands if they're late bay stud pattern.

Latest posts