The Buss-E '71

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buss69

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right i've been a member for some time and frankly been beyond lazy with my input to this site. So to correct all of this here is my bus. It's officially a microbus but i've cheated and have made it look like a Deluxe. I've had this bus since 2001 and I keep it under cover when it's not being used which is probably why it has done well in our s**ty climate. Apart from my family it's my next love. Enjoy.

Big Up The Early Bay!! You all ROCK!!!

FrontNSWide.jpg

DSCF1106.jpg

DSCF1115.jpg

DSCF1126.jpg

DSCF1138.jpg

DSCF1117.jpg

DSCF1104.jpg

Hi,

The bumpers came from Custom & Commercial NOS stock that they chromed for me, not cheap though, it was 7 years ago and they cost me 700 sheets back then. The door cards were made and covered with the BMW front seats by Bernard Newbury again not cheap but well worth it. The dash was done by a brilliant restorer Called Dave Clarke who used to have a company called Airwerx in Surrey, unfortunately they are no longer open, I think Dave went on to work on old Porsche cars. His work is fantastic.
I wish I could say that I did all the work on my bus, but I didn't so credit to Dave & Tim at Airwerx because they did this bus back in 2002 and it still looks good today. I did do the electrics though! This work was all done when I had money, no mortgage and no family, things have moved on since then!!

I really do have to get on with that interior though, i've spent the last 6 years deciding what to do in the back, Camper or Microbus, hmmmm?

Nice bus dude - and judging by the sticker on the fanshroud it's got a nice motor too :)

I'll have to ask Mr Clarke about this one when i see him next :wink:

Both Tim & Dave are really great guys - and as you say the quality of Dave's work is astounding. I think Dave works down on the South Coast somewhere (Brighton? Bournemouth?).

Indeed sir, well spotted with the sticker. Ian's done a top job on the motor, it's only 1776 but it leaves a grin on my face for days after driving the bus. There is something wrong but so right about going fast in a vehicle shaped like a loaf of bread. Does surprise most people which just ads to the fun.

Thanks for the kind words by the way. If you ever see Tim or Dave i'd love to get in contact I lost both their numbers with a mobile last year. Do you know if they are on this site or VZi?

your dash has just inspired me. i was trying to fit a set of porsche 944 (early one with ponty lenses) into the original bus plastic gauge pod. but now after seeing your dash i might plate the lot and fit them in direct

Hey Andrew, If you do decide to redesign your dash I strongly recommend you do a mock up in card board first with the steering wheel properly fitted. There was a good reason that VW sunk the gauges into a dash pod as I have learnt. At night my gauges really reflect on the windscreen which looks pretty but can be slightly annoying. The other problem I have encountered is that I am tall and sit slightly higher due to the seats and this means that the top half of the Speedo and Rev counter are slightly obscured (never look at the speedo though as it still needs recalibrating). So definitely have a play first. The warning lights are vandal proof LED's in Stainless cases, really beautiful and not that expensive, they came from RS electronics.

Buss69 said:
Indeed sir, well spotted with the sticker. Ian's done a top job on the motor, it's only 1776 but it leaves a grin on my face for days after driving the bus. There is something wrong but so right about going fast in a vehicle shaped like a loaf of bread. Does surprise most people which just ads to the fun.

Thanks for the kind words by the way. If you ever see Tim or Dave i'd love to get in contact I lost both their numbers with a mobile last year. Do you know if they are on this site or VZi?

Hi

Dave Clarke is still running his business 'Airwerx' and is located in Moortown Farm, Hampsire Hatches Lane, Ringwood, Hampshire. He repaired my bus when we had the lorry incident back last year. I don't have his number anymore but I believe he shares the workshop with Alex Taylor who is better known as Defcon 3.

Hope this helps :)

Hello mate and welcome, loving the bus 8)

Is the speedo an Autometer and is it mechanical or electric?

I have a set of Autometer Streetrod Arctic White gauges (http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugeop.aspx?sid=17) to go in to mine but got a mechanical speedo which works of the transmission (not the wheel hub). I'm replacing with the electronic version as the mechanical conversion from trans to hub is too complex, expensive and troublesome.

I dont quite understand your question?

Autometer is a Brand of gauge manufacturer. Your standard speedo is mechanical and i think originally manufactured by VDO?, as you mentioned works of the front nearside hub and turns a spring cable to the back of the gauge.

Sorry I know this is an old post but just browsing and had to say...

I LOVE THIS VAN! Very subtle, very clean and very cool!
Gimmie first dibs when you come to sell (IF you do that should be! lol)

Credit to the workmanship here.

Latest posts