The Egotrip bus: slammed Nov 69 Kombi

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EgoTrippin said:
Here you go :D

DSC02706_zps5340f521.jpg

DSC02708_zpse222f884.jpg

DSC02707_zpsaf3c15f3.jpg

DSC02709_zps5f5ce804.jpg

The rear end has been narrowed, with notches and adjustable springplates to get the wheels well up in to the arches with the new 195/65 tyres. Tucking nicely and driving really good.

Cruising speed has increased by about 5mph due to the bigger tyres.

Slamwerks have done a top job :)

Going in to the workshops of Wolfsburg Wizards early next week for phases 2 and 3 of this winter work....

Wow Steve, missed this one. Looking really tight. I have been thinking of a little notching too.

Thanks Jon. I thought it was about time to tweak the stance at the rear.
I will get some photos of the work done later this week once the engine is out.

Steve,

I hope this work is not coming out of the wedding fund :lol: :lol: :lol:

has some "lifted" your stop light :evil: :cry:

marcher said:
Steve,

I hope this work is not coming out of the wedding fund :lol: :lol: :lol:

has some "lifted" your stop light :evil: :cry:

There has been some re-directing of funds but its all good Matt ;)

I took my precious Stop light off as the bumper is being removed a few times over these next weeks so didn't want it getting damaged. It's stashed nice and safe in the garage.

Just dropped the bus off in the snow this morning at the Wolfsburg Wizards workshop for the next phase of work :)

The bus is now at the Wolfsburg Wizards workshop for the final push for Ninove.

IMG_0109_zps039a8cb3.jpg

The wheels drop down loads further than before now the adjustable spring plates have been fitted :)

This is what the engine bay looked like before work started. Absolutely covered in crud and oil :(
IMG_0107_zps63f573a4.jpg

IMG_0106_zps7eb88dcc.jpg

Starting to clean up nicely with a lot of clutch fluid and elbow grease. We have decided not to paint the engine bay now as its coming up good.
IMG_0112_zps96e3dd33.jpg

IMG_0111_zps4f57bd2f.jpg

The firewall has been taken out so that the fuel tank can be raised a little to enable the remote oil cooler to be fitted below. The firewall will be painted as it has got scorched at some point!

The trusty old oil dripping, overheating, pinking 1600sp out of the bus for the last time. Its served me well but its time for a change :)

IMG_0114_zpsd9ccb7b4.jpg

More updates as work progresses this week.

K@rlos said:
Pancake air filter Steve, tut tut....

The stand for the standard filter was cut off when I had the 1776 in, so not a lot of choice but to run the shit pancake filter when the 1600 went back in. Do you like the tape holding it together? ;)

Sorry for the lack of updates :oops:

After a few setbacks, the bus is now back on the road. Even though the new motor hasn't been rolling roaded yet, it still runs awesome. The sound of the straight cut cam gears and Vintagespeed exhaust is amazing 8)
Here is the not so little beastie :D

IMG_0163_zpse1ec3948.jpg

Its a 2007cc stroker motor built by Dan Simpson at Vintagespeed UK. I highly recommend his engine building and tea making skills :) Estimated horsepower when its run in is around 120-130hp :shock:
Spec as follows:
New as41 case
DPR 78mm Crank
CB H beam rods
Full weight flywheel 8Dowelled
Stage 1 KEP clutch with daiken matt
WEB 86B + 1-25 rockers
CB Straight cut cam gears
Engle cam lifters
Mahle 90.5
Teflon buttons
Standard heads more chamber work hemi cut 40x35.5 valves
Comp 8.5.
Bugpack ratio rockers + lash caps
CR Manton pushrods 3/8"
30 mm Shadek oil pump
CSP Relief valve cover plate
Special SS oil tails for full flow system.
Steel 3.5lbs front pulley
scat pushrod tubes.
Gen Fly oil seal.
Crank assembly balanced to '0' at Stateside tuning.
Twn 40 IDF carbs CB Manifolds and linkage
Custom breather pipes.
Vintagespeed Superflow muffler Hidden tailpipe version
123 Ignition + new leads
Welded and balanced race fan
Powdercoated tinware
External oil filter and cooler with fan, with convoluted PTFE stainless steel braided oil lines and fittings.

The motor was first installed a month ago, but the gearbox failed on the first test drive :( . So the box was sent off to Cogbox for a full re-build.
Gearbox_zps09dcd77a.jpg

It now has a 0.82 4th gear, steel shift forks, welded hubs on 3rd and 4th, aluminium heavy duty side cover, IRS heavy duty super diff with spider gears.

Karl at Wolfsburg Wizards has worked above and beyond with this install, as loads of other work has been done, such as new throttle and clutch cable, Butty's throttle kit (which is awesome), install oil temp gauge and Autometer monster tach and generally sorting the bus out so its good for a long time.

The speedo was also sent off to Tacho Thomas in Germany for repair and recalibration. Its well strange as now it reads fairly accurately after nearly 6 years of being miles out! I reckon I will need it to read accurately as I might be pushing the upper end of the speedo quite often!

Me looking well happy collecting the bus on Friday night after my first test drive....
644713_506790819388597_1615943776_n_zpsa20294fa.jpg
The bus is now a little higher at the back as I adjusted the springplates today as the deep sump and exhaust were way too close to the road, and I like my bus to have a bit of rake in the stance department.

Rolling road session booked in for Thursday at BD Engineering in Sittingbourne, then its off to Big Bang on Friday.

I'll take some proper photos of the bus soon......

Cool as ever Steve :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quality donk there Steve. Hope it behaves for you and we see you at Big bang. Bus is still sitting nice and low. Love it. 8)

Thats a LOT of engine there mate , teamed with the sorted box and new stance it will get the heads spinnin' 8)

Looks like a nice motor Steve :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dan built my engine a year or so back. He does know his stuff. Mines only getting better and better :D :D :D

BD Engineering (andy) is also a top man, i have used him many times :D :D :D
What time you booked in for?? i'm of thursday and may pop up for a nose/catch up and a cuppa???

Cheers everyone :)
Matt - I am just dropping my bus in with Andy on Thursday as I have to go to a meeting in London, but the bus will be there all day. Looking forward to the drive back :)