"The Keeper" 1970 Sacramento Westfalia Pop Top

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
busy day planned tommorow :mrgreen:

500 mile engine service, oil, filter and tappets

fit new rotary fuel pump

fit oil pipe from breather to rockers

change gearbox oil

take off deep sump ( more rear ground clearance )

sort out the ride height (lower) and measure my shocks ready for either air shocks or spax set-up

Engines now in, and done over 500 miles

had it at a rolling road today to balance the carbs,timing, check jets etc

Was a little dissapointed with the BHp at the wheels, 67 BHP @ 4375RPM :sick0010:
Torque was 90 @ 3000RPM

At the flywheel it was 115BHP @ 5191RPM :party0009:
Torque was 145 @ 2750RPM

so im losing a lot of power to the wheels somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sick0010:

You would be bored if you hadn't got this to sort out.

But you did say that it is driving really well and it pulls so much better. So really the rest is just numbers. As long as it is not running hot etc just enjoy.

Jon

Hi!

That torque figures sounds good - and at low rpm, so lot's of grunt yes? Outright power isn't the be and end all, usable torque better i would have thought.

Of course there are the poor unfortunates (like me) that have to put up with a lethargic stock lump. My food mixer has more get up and go than the stock effect, my horses weren't available for mine, more like shetland ponys - and i think have got up and gone.....as for hills - well, I have to book it on a calendar if i wanna get up 'em! :roll:

A nice phat dollup of torque is what it's all about - and yours sounds real good to me. I'm sure the gearbox looses a load of bhp too - maybe a friction reducer may help (or is that a snake oil thing?) Would a 40 year old box have a fair bit of "loose" bits, all adding to a overall loss of bhp, i can't remember if you have had your box rebuilt??

As long as it drives well and pulls well, i reckon it's a big result! :party0047:

Alistair

cheers Faux/Al :pimp1:

Its def built for torque, not top end speed, that was my aim for it, but was hoping for a wee bit more BHP

The gearbox has not been rebuilt/refurbed or had anything other than an oil top up.

SO for now oil change and drive is the plan

:character0066:

slammedresto said:
had anything other than an oil top up.

SO for now oil change and drive is the plan

:character0066:

that is after ive rust proofed and stonechipped the chassis rails and floor :msn4:

Picked up the bus today, after its had the underside rustproofed and stone chipped.

Also straightened up the front bumper a bit as it was a bit skew, and finally put on the chrome handbrake handle i bought a year ago!!!!!!!!

P1020020.jpg

P1020019.jpg

Started colour coding the arches, over the grey stone chip

P1020017.jpg

P1020016.jpg

busy few days, no pics, sorry

all me arches and my belly pans are now colour coded, bit rough, but look miles better,
bit of polish on my wheels :mrgreen:

removed and fitted my new SS header, got rid of the heat exchangers, and put on SS J tubes, new tinwear without heater holes

few more thing to do tommorow night, fit new battery, SS breather box/tube, ext oil cooler

wash and brush up, and then early to bed for VoWo

Hi!

That's looking good! Tell me more about the underseal, i need this doing to mine before it rusts away!!!

Did they blast the underneath, then waxoil then stonechip? If i dont do down this route, may well just use colour matched POR15..?????

Cheers!

Alistair

slammedresto said:
Picked up the bus today, after its had the underside rustproofed and stone chipped.

Also straightened up the front bumper a bit as it was a bit skew, and finally put on the chrome handbrake handle i bought a year ago!!!!!!!!

P1020020.jpg

P1020019.jpg

The rustproof/stonechip looks good, I take it this is a much better option that just waxoil? Presumably its a much more expensive option too! I'll have to see what my budget can stretch to.

cotswoldiver said:
Hi Gary
Good to meet you at the weekend - and having now seen your bus in the flesh its been great to go back and re-read the thread again. I knew that engine sounded sweet .... great job
David

cheers David :mrgreen:

Windsurfer, its a better option, but ive waxoiled in the chassis rails as well ;)

Hi!

Didnt get time to talk to you in the line up at the show - and i wanted to look over you van too! Doh! How was is rustproofed - just waxoil and then stone chipped? Did you need to get it sand blasted before?

Alistair

aogrady said:
Hi!

Didnt get time to talk to you in the line up at the show - and i wanted to look over you van too! Doh! How was is rustproofed - just waxoil and then stone chipped? Did you need to get it sand blasted before?

Alistair

sanded down,just to get the surface rust off, and clean it up, rustproofing applied, then stonechipped, then waxoil inside the chassis rails

it was pretty good to begin with, so minimal prep really

Gary it was good to meet you and your family at the show and have a look at your van.

Any chance you can put some pictures up of the poptop hole cover that you showed me, it was well cool!

Gareth

Latest posts