the life and times of Doris the Dormobile!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doris said:
retro said:
she`s coming along nicely!
ive bought new backing plates for Ret, got his dormy roof off this week too, needs repairing.
couldnt believe the weight of that thing :shock: especially as im 5ft3 and he is stock height (explains my sholder pain :roll: )

aww bless! I'm 6'5" so I lifted it off the roof :lol: you're right - heavier than it looks!!!

Pair of wimps - I'm 5'8" and found it no problem (............ I wish :lol: )

could of posted a random naff post telling me how light it was, i was on tip toes with arms at full stretch like geoff capes, might of got a ladder had i of known :lol:

not much progress,Lee is too easily distracted! :(
rearosquarterinprimer.jpg

This build is sick - I just went thru all 5 pages - I am in the us and have a crossover dormy - I am so motivated now.

I will continue to watch this build.

Thanks for the comments! I'm hoping 'sick' means 'good' ?! :mrgreen:

...no major leaps forward,a bit more flatting & primer layed on.Today I renewed the rear brake shoes,springs,cylinders & hub seals.I also put new brake lines in on the trailing arm...

15July112.jpg

15July11.jpg

15July111.jpg

rearbrakesRHS1.jpg

Doris said:
not much progress,Lee is too easily distracted! :(

its a bugger to watch someone do the work then get distracted by other stuff, especially when you know a few weeks hard graft on just your van would get it back on the road. Im in the same boat, iv got about 3 weeks work left to be done (apparently) but he is trying to get a couple of other vans out of the workshop. :evil:

It will be worth it!!! the works looking good so far,

Thanks Roon! update time....The First coat of colour has gone on. L282 Lotus White - this is her factory colour. This first coat is what has been described to me as a 'guide coat'. The idea being that the gloss will show up any areas that need final work,but the actual paint job will be better.The dash will look amazing once its cut & polished,quite a good finish straight out of the gun actually,paint spraying is a skill!

here are some pics.......

firsttopcoat.jpg

firsttopcoat2.jpg

firsttopcoat5.jpg

firsttopcoat3.jpg

firsttopcoat9.jpg

Hi there you ok? You managed to get your camper back yet or are you still being fobded off. My bay is starting to come togeather but every time I do a job it opens up a can of worms. like changing the winscreen found lots of rust and holes so lots of welding for me to be getting on with :( I have already welded in a cab floor a wheel tub and repaired lots of other areas. When I get time I must start one of these threads myself ( Im currently spending every moment on the van.

Hope things are coming together

Thanks Alex,Thanks Gail - a long slog but getting there now!!

This is the final coat of paint.the finish out of the gun is excellent so she will just need the minimal of polishing....

DOrisfinalcoat4.jpg

DOrisfinalcoat1.jpg

DOrisfinalcoat.jpg

pop top in top coat...
poptopfinalcoat.jpg

The doors were being painted when I visited yesterday...
Dorisglassfittted3.jpg

Dorisglassfittted2.jpg

I suppose this part of the thread is now the 'rebuild'

Q - shall I start a new rebuild thread or keep it all on this thread??

some glass gone in. I've used Genuine VW rubbers and it makes such a difference,I'd recommend the extra outlay to anyone changing their seals! they are strong and thick and a nice tight fit....

Dorisglassfittted.jpg

Dorisglassfittted1.jpg

all the window channel cavities have been filled with rust prevention (Bilt & Hamber Dynax S50) before the glass went in.I like these large Dynax tins as they have an extension probe with a series of fine holes around the brass tip giving 360 degree coverage inside the section,whereas my Waxoyl gun only has a single direction jet.

Next week I'm going to do the rest of the box sections and cavities,then the chassis & underside....

dynaxS50beinginjected.jpg

dynaxS50beinginjectednose.jpg

slowly putting her back together.this week I've cavity waxed,replaced the 2 heater cables,2 handbrake cables,accelerator cable + pedal and linkage,headlamps fitted and wired (repo panels gave a big headache!),started wiring the instrument cluster & steering column,started fitting the cab out...

buildupWed1.jpg

buildupWed.jpg

more pics in a day or so!

Latest posts