the life and times of Doris the Dormobile!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doesn't look like any great leaps forward,but there is a lot of work involved at this stage, it is quite monotonous - Lee is still ferreting away at her though,fill sand check,fill sand check etc etc with the dolphin glaze.Rear corner looking better.....

rearRHcornerfillsandfill.jpg

fillsandfill.jpg

fillsandfill1.jpg

work is also progressing on the Dormobile pop top, (more pics to follow).Lee & I were thinking about how to finish the area inside the pop top that you can see.The factory finish was browny/grey bare fibre glass which does let it down a bit. I tried painting it some years ago but it just didn't look right. Lee came up with the suggestion of using light weight automotive interior carpet so, that's what I'm going to go for.It will hide the imperfections of the fibre glass,it will be quieter,warmer and look much better than painting the fibre glass.I just need to find some biscuit colour to match the cab floor carpet. :mrgreen:

Coming along nicely! check that the carpet doesnt shed any of its pile. Check it by rubbing your hand over it (like your waving on it) and if no "dust" comes off then all good ;) allot of T25s were carpeted in this way and they all had various types of carpet that shed its dust ever so slightly so when you had your roof up and some air flow came through or you touched it with you hand you got an eyefull! :roll:

Hope that helps a bit on your choice :mrgreen:

easy said:
Hope that helps a bit on your choice :mrgreen:

It certainly does mate - Thanks! didn't think of that.All that would crack me up,I imagine everything looks dusty as well in the sun.

maybe something like faux suede? I suppose I'll have to just wait & see what's what when I go to the trimming shop & choose.

Looking good.

I have bought a filler carpet from Dormobile to put on the inside which I then plan to cover with something else to reduce the issue with condensation :D

another fun day at the office!
Steering column is off now,to be powder coated and painted.

Ed and Lee sand away in the shop while I sand the pop top out side........

LeeEdsanding.jpg

Leesaucey.jpg

Edsanding.jpg

Mesandingpoptop.jpg

poptopsanded.jpg

poptopsanded1.jpg

Not much else I can do until the bus is ready for building up so just been tinkering with little jobs.

Today I spruced up the instrument cluster.Stripped it all back and gave the plastic grain a good scrub with a toothbrush & washing up liquid. re painted the inner part that surrounds the dials in bright silver & fitted 'tuning shop' chrome trim rings.In hindsight, I think the inner rings in silver is a bit ott,if I did it again,I'd use graphite grey, but hay ho,still better than before! Also fitted a period 12v smiths time clock in the end binnacle (I'm not paying £200 for a Bay one!)

before......

instrumentpanelbeforehand.jpg

after.....

instrumentpanelafter1.jpg

instrumentpanelafter.jpg

instrumentpanelafter2.jpg

instrumentpanelafter3.jpg

The cluster has come up a treat (think you are right about the rings - a bit OTT :shock: ) :D

Thanks for the comments guys! just spruced up the steering column area. had everything blasted and powder coated in gloss black.I know its not factory accurate but I wanted the column area powder coated for durability,however the satin powder coating is quite a crude finish for the interior I feel, so it had to be gloss. not 100% happy with the finish on the ignition housing so I'm going to have to polish it back smooth.I have applied the 'sliding door' decal (which is excellent) and lacquered over it for protection,but cannot get a smooth enough finish for my liking....all a step in the right direction though.... (give me my bus back!!!!)....

before....

steeringcolumnhousingbeforeresto1.jpg

steeringcolumnhousingbeforeresto.jpg

after......
ignitionhousingetcafter.jpg

Don't look to bad in the pictures to me, but up close it may be different (judging from what you typed) :D

gninnam said:
Don't look to bad in the pictures to me, but up close it may be different (judging from what you typed) :D

yeah they are not good Andy! I couldn't get the lacquer smooth enough.Anyways,I've cracked it now - made up with the finish.that lovely decal is protected below 4 coats :mrgreen: here are some pics before & after.....

before...

ignitionhousingetcafter2.jpg

ignitionhousingetcafter1.jpg

after...

ignitionhousingpolished2.jpg

ignitionhousingpolished.jpg

ignitionhousingpolished3.jpg

Yep - agree with the after shots - plenty of elbow grease :mrgreen:

Doris was on the move today!

DorisleavingFenton1.jpg

DorisleavingFenton2.jpg

She's moved to Kraftwerk's paint booth at the new site.the final stages of bodywork are planned for next week,including final sanding back and the first coat of final primer.....

DorisatLyttonStbooth.jpg

DorisatLyttonStbooth1.jpg

I took the opportunity to put a bit of insulation on the inside of the body panels...

Dorisinsulation1.jpg

Dorisinsulation.jpg

can't wait to get this baby hitched up.......

Erdetrailerrepainted2.jpg

not much more to report on really,just more sanding and primer. I managed to replace the ball joints & track rods & ends today. Also had the back plates blasted & powder coated. I had to re rivet one of those little clips that keeps the adjusting star from turning back on, but luckily I had a spare set of back plate ,so I could rob one of them.Nice new brake shoes & cylinders,bearings packed with Lithium-Moly grease - all fitted & running freely 8)

backplatepowdercoated.jpg

fronthubsbrakeshoes1.jpg

she`s coming along nicely!
ive bought new backing plates for Ret, got his dormy roof off this week too, needs repairing.
couldnt believe the weight of that thing :shock: especially as im 5ft3 and he is stock height (explains my sholder pain :roll: )

retro said:
she`s coming along nicely!
ive bought new backing plates for Ret, got his dormy roof off this week too, needs repairing.
couldnt believe the weight of that thing :shock: especially as im 5ft3 and he is stock height (explains my sholder pain :roll: )

aww bless! I'm 6'5" so I lifted it off the roof :lol: you're right - heavier than it looks!!!

Latest posts