The Restoration of Stanley.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're doing a fantastic job there, and the bus is shaping up nicely. Great to see this taking shape as I seem to be replacing the same parts as you.... fortunately for me, you're quite a few steps ahead of me, so i can follow your thread and pick up a few hints! :D

And Mags - thanks for posting the link to http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/ - that's a brilliant point of reference: I've been scouring the internet for decent pics of what the A-post and B-posts should look like.

Looking forward to seeing Stanley losing the brown crusty stuff and full of solid steel again.

Cheers Darren, slowly making progress, at least we know what we've got when we are finished, i,m doing as you mentioned middle section off side first then passenger side outriggers and sill, now ive started what was going to be a tidy up i'm going to undo all the previous repairs just to make sure its all good and solid.

We have now removed the engine and fuel tank so we can proceed with safety, so the work continues. Tracy has been scraping off all the paint from the floors so repairs can be carried out and this evening i cut out the rear centre crossmember, the end of the top hat that fits above this so i can replace it and i've cut around heater pipe Y piece to remove it as it needs repairing or replacing, it is now loose but is it possible to remove it without cutting a section of the floor out? also who else stocks them as schofields are out of stock.

stanleythecamperrearcorners048.jpg

stanleythecamperrearcorners100.jpg

stanleythecamperrearcorners104.jpg

a little more progress, rear cross member in, inner and middle sills done and after finding some poor repairs decided to replace middle panel up to the swage line...........

stanleythecamperrearcorners144.jpg

stanleythecamperrearcorners158.jpg

stanleythecamperrearcorners138.jpg

stanleythecamperrearcorners156.jpg

stanleythecamper185.jpg

stanleythecamper181.jpg

Removed old repair panel on rear arch today, needs inner wheel tub restoring and i need to decide how high to take repair, its a little wavy where old repair was done and i want to get rid of this small pitted area on the seam

stanleythecamper203.jpg

stanleythecamper205.jpg

stanleythecamper204.jpg

stanleythecamper209.jpg

Today i started to repair the inner arch, first i wanted to make a template to make a repair section that i could weld up to the groove where the foam seal fits.

i used masking tape to copy what was left of the inner wing

stanleythecamper217.jpg

i then transferred the tape to some card and made a template allowing for the edges to be bent and i also marked the position of the 4 holes , i then cut my steel to this shape and drilled the holes, i could then bolt the repair panel to the inner arch and get the shape right

stanleythecamper219.jpg

i played around with it until i was happy with the fit then i cut away the corroded area up to the groove where the foam seal fits but leaving the holes in the way of tabs to bolt my new panel to as location points

stanleythecamper221.jpg

now i can clean up the wheel tub do repairs then finally bolt in new panel and weld it in

stanleythecamper229.jpg

stanleythecamper231.jpg

stanleythecamper230.jpg

I've now finished welding the repairs needed on the rear wheel tub so next i can weld in my inner arch repair and then onto fitting rear arch, heres where i am at.....................

stanleythecamper237.jpg

stanleythecamper242.jpg

stanleythecamper243.jpg

stanleythecamper240.jpg

cheers fellas, i'm finding a methodical approach and tackling it in some sort of order seems to be working on this project, i think if you look at to many problems at once you can quickly get disheartened, so far so good!

finally got the rear off side wheel tub repaired, next fit the outer arch panel !!!

stanleythecamper246.jpg

managed to escape the christmas chaos today and got the rear arch panel trimmed down and clamped in place. in the end i joggled the top and pulled the joint tight with sheet metal screws, took a bit of fiddling but fits ok, just got to weld it in now!

stanleythecamper281.jpg

stanleythecamper283.jpg

stanleythecamper287.jpg

managed a day on the camper today and got the centre panel welded in, joggled the top of the panel and spot welded the join and also spot welded the sill, the sides were punched and plug welded, went it quite well,

stanleythecamper299.jpg

stanleythecamper311.jpg

stanleythecamper326.jpg

stanleythecamper317.jpg

i've reached a corner :party0006: !!!! i've been working my way clockwise around the bottom of this van and hopefully i will end up where i started and it will all be finished :D

so i pulled the rear valance apart and the rear chassis end and found the usual expert repairs by a string of PO's so plenty to keep me busy, i've ordered a rear valance and i started my repairs by remaking the rear offside chassis end...................

remove some plating and found this crusty bit

stanleythecamper415.jpg

cut out the rot

stanleythecamper416.jpg

fabricated a repair

stanleythecamper418.jpg

and welded in

stanleythecamper432.jpg

next i need to make the 45 degree part then replace the cross member, getting ther slowly

stanleythecamper421.jpg

stanleythecamper413.jpg

Tonight i managed to make up the corner brace that go's between the end of the chassis and rear valance, the original was a little crusty!

stanleythecamper436.jpg

stanleythecamper437.jpg

stanleythecamper452.jpg

next job is to do the other side and fit a new rear valance..............

As the rear cross member welded in place, did you ever think about fitting an early removable one to give yourself better access to the engine bay?

Your work is an inspiration as your bus is in a lot worse shape than mine, really enjoying the pics as you can see how bad the rot is, and how to fix it the right way.