The van with no name.....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not the most dedicated at posting photos, however I do enjoy reading others posts and so need to make a bigger effort. I thought I'd just post a few from our recent trip York - Bavaria and back. Weather wasn't great, but I think we've just about dried out. For those contemplating a european tour - go for it! I was a bit anxious about keeping pace on motorway hills, but had a good tune up before we went and were seldom below 55mph on the hills. Maxed out at a cool 104

(kmh)

anyway, proof that a 48 year old vehicle with a good service can do it...

Stopped at Burgen on the Mossel, Romatic Road (various), Berchtesgaden, Garmish P, Fussen, Back Forest, Hunsruck National Park, Dutch Mountains (very nice!) and on the coast in the Netherlands

Thanks for the comments! There have been a few bits on the body (not mine!) that have been bothering me. A few bubbles at the bottom of the C pillars, a lack of paint on the roof gutters, some bubbling behind the front door steps etc. Nothing major, but stuff I'd rather sort out rather than leave. Unfortunately the general advice was that as there were lots of little small bits I'd be better off going for a proper all over job.

Ive been investigating for a over a year and settled on Aircooled Addiction in Market Weighton. Its been with them for about 8 weeks now, and progress is looking good

New lower screen piece (I can't see the new piece....)

Didn't know we had a problem here until the glass came out.

Original corners are sound, but were thoroughly dented

Back panels also had an unfair amount of bruising, and has been pulled back into shape (we should be carrying a lot less filler around the country now)

and so prep for the top coat begins....

Back home I've been sorting out the lights, indicators, got some Mk1 Golf headlamps to go it with new headlight wiring, and I'm refurbishing the wiper motor.

Now, just need to settle on a colour......

markevo30 said:
Exciting times :D looking forward to see it in paint.

Do you know what the original colour of the bus was?

Exciting indeed - yes, I know what colour it was.....

this is it in '68.

I think it will be green this time though, I'm aiming for this shade for full metalwork excluding roof, bumpers and wheels...

Gee. Turned out a bit greener than expected! The finish is really good though, very impressed.

Ok, its a bit greener than planned. However, that's it now, started reassembly today. Should calm down a bit one the bumpers, roof, lights, glass and shiny bits go back on

should be collecting it from paint shop today....more photos later perhaps! when i saw it on monday the black rubbers, proper wheels and white bumpers/roof etc made it look much better. looks a nice period colour, less brash and 1970's than the blue and white we had. refit will start when it gets home and as much of the weekend as i can spare

So, all collected, running well and home from paint shop. Something amiss with the clutch though. Got almost home when putting foot on the clutch doesn't help with changing gear (I'm thinking pressure plate, clutch cable stretch or the bowden tube 'failing' in some way. Knowing that I haven't had the engine out yet in 2017 I can tell you what its most likely to be, even though I'm going to start with the easy stuff.

some photos for now, clutch investigation coming up soon..

Well, clutch pressure plate changed, wiring problems sorted out, insulation trim and all the units put back in, MOT'd, 40 mile test drive and one day to go before the season starts... I'm pooped!

Ready to roll for a few years I hope (now which one of those heat exchangers is gassing me.........)

Must post some photos.... been to Rutland, Sandringham and North York Moors for weekends so far this year, but without the heater as leaky heat exchanger.

So got the heat exchanger swapped out this week for a modern reproduction unit. Seems a shame as in the last year I've taken out two VW heat exchangers...... Still getting heat through the new ones though, but deep down I know they won't last nor give the same heat output. A lot healthier though.

Engine got a full service this afternoon, with new distributor cap, rotor, oil, valve clearance check/adjust etc. Changed the spark plugs also.

I did a bit of research on them as despite having the right jetting and carb adjustment I was getting some plug fowling.

NGK website has some really good info and so I came up with a plug that should burn off the deposits a little better.

NGK BP6ES. Gapped them up properly, bit of copper-ease, then turned engine by hand to check for interference (They project into chamber a bit more than the Bosch ones sold by our regular VW parts people).

They seem just fine at the moment, will give an update in 3000 miles.

Interestingly I arrived at the same conclusion as these people.... or did they lead me there?

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/NGK-BP6ES-Spark-Plug-14x3-4-Reach-Threads-13-16-p/ng7333.htm

If you drive your van hard with foot to floor a lot then you might not have any current problems, but I'm a 3/4 throttle guy when i'm in the van, so engine doesn't get real hot.

Either way, one thing I sure have learnt is that eBay is a lot cheeper for spark plugs if you know your product code. Now deep down I knew that, but had never bought separately before... (got 8 for £10.56 inc delivery)

4th Weekend away so far this year.

Rutland, Sandringham, North York Moors and this weekend we stayed in Northumberland with friends.

This was a big weekend for the campervan.... as not only has it just celebrated its 49th Birthday, but it was properly reunited with its original awning. They were separated in 1974 - so lived 43 years apart. Awning works just fine. Debating whether to fix the two broken zips...... Might try a cheep repair on one of them. Heater works again without gassing and it seems a little quieter also Drove nicely there and back - wonderful. Roll on summer!!

So, for the photo lovers out there - here you go. Awning and camper reunited, in a field

First drive last night for a while, been working on wiring over the winter.

Found a real hotchpotch of joints, tape and stiff wires. I made my own wiring diagram and loom, with fuses straight off the battery, and used relays for all lights, coil, starter etc.

Anyway, just about finished the wiring, just horn and brake switches to do now. Important part is that it works and I can go away for the weekend

When I finish, I'll publish my wiring diagram (reason I did this was i felt that an off the shelf replacement was underfused and passed a lot of current through some very old switches)

Bluesnailman said:
Must post some photos.... been to Rutland, Sandringham and North York Moors for weekends so far this year, but without the heater as leaky heat exchanger.

So got the heat exchanger swapped out this week for a modern reproduction unit. Seems a shame as in the last year I've taken out two VW heat exchangers...... Still getting heat through the new ones though, but deep down I know they won't last nor give the same heat output. A lot healthier though.

Engine got a full service this afternoon, with new distributor cap, rotor, oil, valve clearance check/adjust etc. Changed the spark plugs also.

I did a bit of research on them as despite having the right jetting and carb adjustment I was getting some plug fowling.

NGK website has some really good info and so I came up with a plug that should burn off the deposits a little better.

NGK BP6ES. Gapped them up properly, bit of copper-ease, then turned engine by hand to check for interference (They project into chamber a bit more than the Bosch ones sold by our regular VW parts people).

They seem just fine at the moment, will give an update in 3000 miles.

Interestingly I arrived at the same conclusion as these people.... or did they lead me there?

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/NGK-BP6ES-Spark-Plug-14x3-4-Reach-Threads-13-16-p/ng7333.htm

If you drive your van hard with foot to floor a lot then you might not have any current problems, but I'm a 3/4 throttle guy when i'm in the van, so engine doesn't get real hot.

Either way, one thing I sure have learnt is that eBay is a lot cheeper for spark plugs if you know your product code. Now deep down I knew that, but had never bought separately before... (got 8 for £10.56 inc delivery)

So, last year I changed the plug spec, and having had a good long run over the weekend I pulled them for a spot check and they seem just perfect. So, in a standard twin port I can recommend these, if your engine runs a bit hotter than it should, or long nose plugs might foul with the pistons then I'm not sure they are for you

I should note that they did get a good clean at some point last year after some short and cold journeys, they looked a bit moor sooty then.

Latest posts