Thinking of getting a motorbike

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggy

Reaction score
Just sold my daily and plan on using the camper a bit more but thinking about getting a 125 Bike for getting to and from work to save a bit of petrol money.
Will only be able to drive a 125 as i haven't yet got a bike license, going to get my CBT then drive for a bit before eventually getting my full license.
Who else has a bike?

between bikes....

trying to talk her indoors to finally get round to doing her test we'll see though

I quite fancy the Stelvio

MotoGuzziStelvio.jpg

I'm getting too old and decrepid to be hunched over some italian exotica

My daily is a bike - got a BMW f800st - I too went down the 125 route, started on when I was 19 and finally got round to taking my test when I was 30 :)

Had an aprilla rs125 for a few years, lovely 2 stroke that didn't really warrant upgrading when I was only doing 20 miles a day - got a Suzuki gsr600 that lasted a year before Bordem set in and now I'm Mr lazy - found bigger bikes are much easier to ride as don't need to work half as much keeping momentum - IMO starting on a 125 rather than straight in via direct access makes you a better rider ;) - you appreciate the power more and get into the habit of working the bike

have you ridden before?

lard said:
have you ridden before?
Yeah but not for a long time, i had a 50cc Suzuki ER50 when i was 16 but then went away to college and when i came back i was 17 so had a car instead :lol: now 34 but hey ho!
The wife thinks its a mid life crissis but i've told her this involves a porsche 911 and a russian bride ;) ;) ;)

Had more bikes than I can remember passed test at 17 now 43 :shock:
At present:
1986 GSXR750 Streetfighter
Yamaha XT250 (just bought for some winter fun :D )
Get that 125 you won't regret it :D

my mate mark bought a bmw 1200gs, 15K miles for 2K, beautiful bike, same as the long way down bikes although i think they were 1250s (not as good). Its super comfortable and has heated hand grips to boot for us old folk.

I've a Vespa 2-stroke with a 200cc engine but couldn't recommend it for your commute - too slow.

My other half's Vespa lx125 beats my P-series in acceleration and top speed no problemo and it's not even the
new IE version.
But I don't like it so much, not very reliable - no change to start it with the kickstarterif the battery's dead, and it's very noisy and shakey.

Would love a new auto Lammy tho :)

Go for a Honda or a big bike for power. Drove a Ducati Monster 1000cc once and pissed my pants :lol:

Cheers

Keep on saying I will get one, but if I did, the van would have to go.................

Last bike I had the wife picked it for me - a really mint Kawasaki zx6r - loved it (why did I sell it... oh yes needed the money for the van :( )

DSCF0004.jpg

DO it - you won't regret it (unless its minus 5 and pissing it down......)

Araon said:
I'm getting too old and decrepid to be hunched over some italian exotica

Araon, you're never too old to sling your leg over mate. My old friend here (ex works Triumph rider back in the day) is crippled with horrific Arthritis. Last year he checked out of hospital early after his latest hip and knee replacement because he was missing his daily ride :shock: Poor old bugger can't even hold a pencil properly because his hands are so twisted and gnarled. But, sling him on a bike and he's gone, and still quick too.

DSCF1688.jpg

I'm very lucky. I have ridden since I was a 12 and have been in the Motorcycle industry most of my working life and had the good fortune to own/test some fantastic bikes in some amazing locations.

My current ride. KTM 950s Adventure. Originally developed by KTM for their factory Dakar rally riders.
Tiny, compact and revvy V-Twin 950. Dry sump and 6 speed box. Brembo brakes, WP suspension. A fantastic all rounder. Commute, Motorway muncher, track bike (very good for harassing sports bikes) Trail and enduro riding. Had it from new in '03 and nothing has come along since that gives me so many stupid grins every time I ride it.

17102009600.jpg

109_0964.jpg

rockingham.jpg

Sorry, could go on and bore the crap out of you all day about bikes. EarlyBay just gets better. Buses and now bikes. Bliss.

And Froggy, Lard is, IMO absolutely right. Go the 125 route and learn to ride that properly. You will be a much better rider for it.

love bikes just the wife wont let me ride them anymore after destroying a 9 month old ZX10R at the Nuremburg ring in 2005!
Hence the bus and my need for speed ;-)

I have had several bikes and even taught cbt, s for a while, sold last bike to pay for carport for bus!!!i went 100 cc working my way up to 600/650 cc

Honda H100
2 x Honda MTX 125 s
Honda CB 250
Honda NSR125RR
Honda Dominator NX 650
Kawasaki GPX 250 ( shared with other half)
Honda CB 500
Suzuki SV650S
Suzuki GSR 600
had a few other ratty peds/125s that i used as winter hacks then tidyed up a sold in spring, even made a few quid on some!

dont seem to have time for a bike now, even the missus doesnt use her cagiva raptor 650 at the moment less then 300 miles since mot in JULY.

Found a piccie of my bike and my brothers Kawazaki Z750 - now that's a nice bike, he's had it for years and can't find anything else that he wants enough to get rid of it - it's bulletproof and paid for - had a ride and it makes you feel like a hooligan :D

9522_132965732084_613467084_2942589.jpg

Loving the R6 and KTM ;) - there's a south african guy in our office who swears by KTM, never tried one but there's one that goes past my house occasionally - sounds nice 8)

EDIT:

Found a picture of my last 125 - best handling bike I've had and the most fun (except on long dual carraigeways, hunched down trying to get top end 85mph :D ) - 2005 Aprillia RS 125 - would have another one in a shot:

Bike-1.jpg

Though this might give it a run - the YZF-125 baby R1 that's been around for about a year now, can't believe it's a 125 :shock:
2009-yamaha-yzf-r125-valentino-rossi-back.jpg

2009-yamaha-yzf-r125-valentino-rossi-pic.jpg

Passed my direct access last november and its to be fair pretty darn awesome!

Ive got a CX500 (yeah you read right!! :lol: ) Its been an awesome first bike and has taught me some things i dont think id have learned on a more modern bike.

IMHO if you find the right training company to do the DAS course it will be worth more that years of experiance in a car. I phoned a few companys near me and when i asked "whats involved" the majority said "we make sure you get as much experiance of the tests routes as possible" :roll:. The company i went with said id pass after two days training and on both days i was in bolton for about an hour the rest of the day was spent mooching around the northwest covering country lanes, duel carriageways all sorts of traffic systems. Then the day of my test we spent an hour viewing the usual test route trouble spots etc. I passed with no minors, in the pooring rain and can honestly say the training i got was 1000x better than a CBT and years in a car.

Get someone who teachs your to ride rather than pass your test is what im saying :lol: I know its more expense but i personally think its well worth it.

Good luck with it dude.

You wont regret it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Go for it,

I got a RS125 as my first bike a few yrs back then chopped it for a GSXR600 in Corona colours (cool bike) then went for a '02 Millie Haga Rep all before i passed my test :lol: I now have a '04 Millie Factory that spends most of its time in the garage as i dont have time ride it........... :? But summer eves are a blast, it should be made the law for everyone to have a fast bike!

Knew i had a pic somewhere, my latest with my old bike.

DSC00657.jpg

Just

i would NEVER ride a roadbike again :msn4: sorry but had way too many near misses and lost too many friends to idiots who in court rely on the excuse of " i just didn`t see him", " he came out of nowhere"
Trackdays however :mrgreen: if you die there its your own fault 8)
if you have to ride on the roads...please..please please consider your bike like a gun in a game of russian roulette...its a rush most of the time but one time it`ll bite your arse and more than likely blow you away :|
sorry had some bad deals

scott wilson said:
i would NEVER ride a roadbike again :msn4: sorry but had way too many near misses and lost too many friends to idiots who in court rely on the excuse of " i just didn`t see him", " he came out of nowhere"
Trackdays however :mrgreen: if you die there its your own fault 8)
if you have to ride on the roads...please..please please consider your bike like a gun in a game of russian roulette...its a rush most of the time but one time it`ll bite your arse and more than likely blow you away :|
sorry had some bad deals

Sad but true, we all know someone who's died.

Latest posts