Timing question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Reaction score
I have a stock 1600sp long block engine. I'm in the process of refitting the motor with twin 34 icts and and alternator conversion.

So i've checked the points gap prior to firing up and it's 0.010. When i double checked the haynes manual it says it should be 0.016. However the engine was running fine before i took it out.

My question being do i need to open the gap up to .016?

Dean said:
I have a stock 1600sp long block engine. I'm in the process of refitting the motor with twin 34 icts and and alternator conversion.

So i've checked the points gap prior to firing up and it's 0.010. When i double checked the haynes manual it says it should be 0.016. However the engine was running fine before i took it out.

My question being do i need to open the gap up to .016?

If I still had points I would set as per haynes & preferably get a dwell meter to check the dwell angle after setting with feeler gauges.
Even better is to get a pertronix ignitor or similar & forget ever setting points again ;)

anorak on time,if the points cap is incorect the dwell time(angle )will be out,this means the fill time (electric flowing into coil)will be out and effect the spark strength ,to small gap will retard ign timming as well,loss of power :shock: fit and forget pertronics ,but keep points as they do go wrong some times and its some thing you can do on road side ;)

67panel said:
anorak on time,if the points cap is incorect the dwell time(angle )will be out,this means the fill time (electric flowing into coil)will be out and effect the spark strength ,to small gap will retard ign timming as well,loss of power :shock: fit and forget pertronics ,but keep points as they do go wrong some times and its some thing you can do on road side ;)

So what's wrong with Pertronix? I run two on my vans and they are perfect. The type 1 can burn out if you leave ignition on for too long with engine not running, but I've never done this. Just carry a spare pair of points with you just in case.

BJ1 said:
67panel said:

So what's wrong with Pertronix? I run two on my vans and they are perfect. The type 1 can burn out if you leave ignition on for too long with engine not running, but I've never done this. Just carry a spare pair of points with you just in case.

I think you read 67panels post wrong, he said the same as you ;)

Loxy said:
BJ1 said:
67panel said:

I think you read 67panels post wrong, he said the same as you ;)

:lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: Perils of too much red wine :roll:

Latest posts