Tin Top Vs Pop Top

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie

Reaction score
Sorry for the 'newbie' question but I was wondering about the benefits of a pop top over a tin top Bay. :oops:

I've only a 'very' limited experience of buses and never actually owned one (I'm on the seach now :) ) this may seem basic but I am struggling to see any major benefits of one over the other - except the obvious point that a tin top seems a lot cheaper!

Other than being able to stand up and having a kids cot in the roof are there any other benefits of a pop top over a tin top for camping? I have a horrible and embarrassing feeling that I have missed something pretty obvious here?

Thanks.

Hiya jamie :D can't vouch for the pop top as I have a tin top microbus, better known as 'Dads Taxi' :roll: I guess you hit the nail partially on the head, standing room/space and kids :)
Sure someone will be along to advise ;)

Iv had both and prefer poptops. Gotta be better if you can stand up :mrgreen: .
I sugested getting an elevating roof to my missus (got a TT at the mo) and it didnt go down to well :roll: .
As always its down to personal taste.

Rich

Tin top = looks cool
Pop top = better camping

depends what you intend to use it for, cruise or camp :mrgreen:

Simples

i'd agree with what Tiki Al says, it depends what you want to use it for, cruising about in or heading off on trips around the UK and europe. If you're going to be stopping for a week or two in it you'll be fine with a a tin top and drive away awning, if you're likely to make lots of one night stops you might wish for that extra headroom of the pop top.

When i was looking for a bay i compared both, and hired a pop top for a week to see what i prefered. I went for the pop top.....

Tin Tops all the way for me I'm afraid but thats personal preference, I think the lines of any bay are changed for the worse once poptops are added.

I think its about what are you using it for, not many people cook in their vans so why do you need to stand up apart from getting dressed, I think the combination of a tintop and drive away awning are the best combo and if you buy something like a Khyam Motordome awning its up in about 10 minutes and comes down just as quick and you can sore all your junk in there leaving the van to eat and sleep in if thats what you want to do. Also saves you your pitch when on campsites whilst you go off for the day.

As I said personal preference here :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i have both as well and in my experience....

tintops = no leaks
poptops = leaks

i do drive a devon so its taken as a given you'll have the odd leak or three :lol:

i dont think i could camp for an extended period in a tintop, my backs not the best and you do have to crouch inside alot. pop tops are perfect in this respect and they do let alot of light in.

Good luck with your search Jamie, you have come to the right place for honest opinions and very often some great buses both tin top and pop top for sale here.

Can't really disagree with any of the previous postings both styles have their advantages, but for me the pop top just edges especially if you want just a last minute escape for the odd night or two away because the weather or the surf is forecast to be great then having the extra 'air space' that the pop top gives you with minimal set up and less ducking and back ache is well worth it - and if you need the extra space for a longer trip just carry a khyam awning or even just a canopy

But what ever you decide just drive and enjoy it

Thanks guys very helpful comments.

I prefer tin tops but my wife likes pop tops - we are looking at one of each on Friday. :lol:

i personally agree with the tin top argument of no leaks and looks better, but my van had a poptop and since i sold it im left with a dirty great hole in the roof. so my default preference has become ragtop. room to stand up if you like to se whats going on outside when your getting dressed, and at the same time keeps the nice lines of the original roof. and from what iv heard theyre not too bad for leaks either.

sorry about the spanner throwing, adding another choice in there.

Tin top for me went 2 months around Europe in it and it was fine. But my other half and me are quite small :lol:

I have a tintop and Love it, there are good points and bad for both, I can get my tintop in my garage a lot easier than if it was a pop top, also i have less chance of leeks, and I can put a bigger roofrack on if I wanted. But i do think that if I had a pop top, i could go camping at the spur of the moment with the Kiddies and not have to worry about putting the awning up, as they could sleep in the roof, and us on the bed.

oh and TinTops tend to be cheaper ;)

I think the main thing is all of that extra light from skylights in a pop top...especially a Doormobile, I found tintops noisier in the rain than a pop top so I opted to pop ! :D

For a camper, it has to be a pop top. I lived with a tin top for years and you 'manage'. A (westy) pop top is pretty much leak free, allows in loads of light and air, allows easy roof rack loading, gives you head room to stand, extra sleeping capacity and good storage space on the internal 'roof' bit. Depending upon awnings is ok, but takes away the flexibility that you need when touring and stopping on the fly and sometimes needing to 'stealth camp'.

No camping? Id have a deluxe microbus with steel sunroof! 8)

Clem said:
For a camper, it has to be a pop top. I lived with a tin top for years and you 'manage'. A (westy) pop top is pretty much leak free, allows in loads of light and air, allows easy roof rack loading, gives you head room to stand, extra sleeping capacity and good storage space on the internal 'roof' bit. Depending upon awnings is ok, but takes away the flexibility that you need when touring and stopping on the fly and sometimes needing to 'stealth camp'.

No camping? Id have a deluxe microbus with steel sunroof! 8)

Nail, hit, head, on the... 8)

Im with Clem on this. Ive got a westy pop top and as i use my van for day trips/weekends and family camping holidays its a good all rounder. Its nice not to have to stoop all the time and at 6,2" that can be quite important.
If you are going for more than a few days you will need an awning either way as cooking sleeping and living in the van alone for more than this time gets to be a pain, especially if you are also using the van to get about in.............

I cant understand why someone would buy a bus just to look cool, so that to me seems an odd reason to buy a tin top. All bays (and t25, t4s etc) are really a compromise when it comes to camping. If you want to look cool buy a cruiser (low light ghia etc) If you want to camp all around europe for the summer season buy a proper motor home........if you want abit of both, buy a pop top camper.

Lots of options but only you can decide. If i never camped i would also have a steel sunroof deluxe bus but the rows of seats would have to go, to mini bus for my liking.

I prefer pop tops like the one below :D

jonnyfoto047.jpg

But I guess tin tops look cool too :shock: :lol:

679805.jpg

I'm with the poptop crew, being 6ft 3 I find it the best of both worlds, being in down mode you can drive into many Coastal carparks (which you can't in a hightop), in up mode you can stand up while changing etc etc plus you get an extra storage area above the cab to store bag, coats bedding etc so you get more space in the living area.

Only 1 downside I can think of with a good poptop and that is that they won't be as warm or quiet as a tintop but getting extra insulation fitted to the roof and pop canvas reduces this negative point but on a positive you can keep alot cooler in the summer

Here's mine

c1785916.jpg

Hey there! Hope your search is going well......

We had this very problem just over two years ago. Im afraid that it HAS to be Tin top all the way (well thats for us anyways!) We have 3 children with another on the way....you can buy an awning, thus giving you the space you need. There are some VERY nice pop tops out there, but you cant beat a good Ol tin top.

Ours is currently without doors or front window.....the big revamp started this weekend!
(Campers eat your bank account. Fact! But, oh so very worth it!)

Enjoy your search! :D

Latest posts